completely dumbfounded!!

TinyTotsSeramas

Songster
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Smithsburg
I HAD a pair of Black Tailed White Japanese in with my MIL's RSL hens, my Mille Fleur pair and a Red Pyle OEGB roo... They were let out to free range friday night, I havent been up to the coop since friday morning... I went up today to check food and waters and to try to soak up a puddle in the JG's coop and I noticed the male BTWJ is missing!! there is no feathers, no body, no disturbance in the wire or coop... my DH an FIL burried the wire underground the whole way around the coop so theres absolutly no way anything can get in or out... but this bird is missing!!! MIL said he was in the coop Friday night when she locked them up but cant recall if she seen him yesterday or not... help please what might have happened?!

could it be a snake? I once found a snake living in my dove pen. Don't know how many eggs or babies it got before I found it.
sad.png

I just remembered that we bought my daughter two small adult quail of a variety I don't remember. We turned them loose in her quail pen and they immediately went right through the wire. It didn't seem possible they could fit through. We were all dumb-founded!
ep.gif

What mulewagon said X2...also, just wonderng, why would you let your chickens out to freerange at night...?

1. yes the run is covered.
2.evening about an hour or two before dark. I dont do "afternoon" and "evening" its either "morning", "noon" or "night.. no in betweens. sorry for the confusion.

Well, either your MIL made a mistake, or there's some way out of the pen, or there's something lurking in there....I would crawl around with a flashlight and stick and poke every seam and under everything. Turn the bedding over, rake through the nestboxes, etc.

look up in the trees around the coop/run, mine used to go in the trees just about every time they got out,,,i would shake some food and they would fly down to me

Back
Top Bottom