Completely new to Ducks - help!

Depends on where you are. I am the queen of predator attacks during the day, but a dog run would probably be safe for me because raccoon is the smallest predator I have to worry about. Snakes for the lings but not adults. @AAcres where are you?
I’m in Northern Ontario Canada. I won’t have to worry about snakes (garden snakes are the only ones around here).
I have seen foxes and hawks and the occasional bald eagle around my property.
I’ll also have to find some way to secure feed because there are mice and squirrels scurrying around.

I think it would be fine to put them in that area during the day especially since it's got a roof on it too right? Just at night they have to be locked up tight! You don't even want to deal with the heartbreak of a predator attack.
It does not have a roof on it yet but that is something I am already aware of. I’m trying to decide what to cover it with.
I’ll still be using the run in some way for them but like you said, I really don’t want a predator attack.

I lost a 4-week old duckling to a huge king snake last year. What age would the ducks be so snakes won't bother them? I would imagine they are mostly after eggs?

I swore I was going to keep my ducks inside until they were ready to go to college after that attack but there really isn't any way you can keep snakes out of a fenced in area that protects from all the other awful things that can happen. I'm going to be very conservative this year before I put them out in the big world for sure!
I put my last batch out at 3 weeks which was too early. I have not had a snake problem after 6weeks. But my issue is rat snakes not king snakes.

Another question:
What is everyone’s favourite breed??
There are so many pros and cons it seems to all of them.

I’m looking for good layers, friendly and affectionate, not too flighty, not too big in size, not too loud (though I am reading every bird is different no matter the breed), and a good forager.

Any recommendations?

It does not have a roof on it yet but that is something I am already aware of. I’m trying to decide what to cover it with.
I’ll still be using the run in some way for them but like you said, I really don’t want a predator attack.
that's easy since you won't need much anyway for that pen. Go to Home Depot and get some of that plastic netting they use on construction sites. I attached it to my pen with zipties! Easy and good!
nettting.jpg

Another question:
What is everyone’s favourite breed??
There are so many pros and cons it seems to all of them.

I’m looking for good layers, friendly and affectionate, not too flighty, not too big in size, not too loud (though I am reading every bird is different no matter the breed), and a good forager.

Any recommendations?
I still say runners come closest to your conditions you posted. However, I do not have any female runners. Our K/C is the smallest duck, loudest duck, and best layer. One Rouen is loud but the other is not. Our runner drake is not exactly affectionate but he does not resist once caught and actually enjoys strokes on top of the head or his neck.Our Pekin is not a good layer but I believe that is stress from the drake we had to rehome. She is kinda friendly and makes strange soft quacks compared to the other hens.

I have runners and plan to hatch some more. I love my little street gang! They are so much fun to watch and they make everyone smile! Most people have never even heard of them or seen any which makes it even more fun when you see their mouths drop and laugh as they watch them run and play!

I still say runners come closest to your conditions you posted. However, I do not have any female runners. Our K/C is the smallest duck, loudest duck, and best layer. One Rouen is loud but the other is not. Our runner drake is not exactly affectionate but he does not resist once caught and actually enjoys strokes on top of the head or his neck.Our Pekin is not a good layer but I believe that is stress from the drake we had to rehome. She is kinda friendly and makes strange soft quacks compared to the other hens.
You need some female Runners:)

@Miss Lydia @DuckyDonna @Texag87 I’ve been reading lots about this breed and I am intrigued! So cute!
Is it possible to do just females? Or is it best practice to have a drake too? I don’t plan to do any breeding.
Would the females be quackier without a male around? Like do ducks go “into heat” at breeding season and yell for a drake?

Back
Top Bottom