Comprehensive list of poisonous plants and trees

Pics
Quote: Commercial hatchery bred birds can lack instincts and eat dangerous things. If your birds have come from a sawdust and concrete environment, or one whose yards are exclusively dirt or grass, they may not know what's safe.

Instinct can be bred into and out of animals, as we have proven with non-broody hens and the various other modified instincts. Some chicks lack instinct to cope with a mother; loss of filial instinct, like loss of maternal and paternal instinct, is caused by artificial breeding methods and rearing in artificial environments for too many generations. Loss of instinctive understanding of environmental dangers and the right reactions to them is achieved the same way. Hence hens may fail to run from a fox, or be curious about a venomous snake, or not react to a hawk stooping.

Instincts are not static or permanent though some are so strong they can give the illusion that they are, and fool many; if an instinct is not engaged, required, reinforced etc for enough generations it can fade, be transmuted into a new expression, or be replaced with a more relevant instinct.

Normally citrus trees present no threat, but if you see any cage-bred bird tucking into the leaves, perhaps keep an eye on her. It's incredibly unlikely that they will give you trouble with your hens though.

Also, some plants are not a threat until they are a certain number of years old, or there has been a thunderstorm, or the soil is imbalanced, or it's been overpruned, or it's flowering or fruiting, or there's been a dry spell, or a long wet spell.... Etc. Some plants kill the animal over a year after eating them. Prevention is better than cure, and the best prevention is allowing your birds to maintain instinct and breed on their knowledge. Local knowledge isn't helpful to a bird transported overseas for example.

One great precaution against many types of disease or toxicity is to make sure that their diet is sufficient. A cheap, commercial ration is often deficient in many nutrients which they need and crave nonetheless. A survival ration is a better description of these feeds as they will keep an animal alive for long enough to produce the expected amount but often the animal sustains permanent harm during this short lifetime of malnutrition, and is unlikely to reach old age.

A nutritionally desperate bird will eat all manner of stupid things. Research 'pika' if you don't know what it is. Birds from hatcheries often have mild to severe Pika and are the prime candidates for self-poisoning and death by eating inedibles, lol.

I prefer to allow my birds, if from hatcheries, to regain their lost instincts by exposing them to the natural dangers of the outside world while keeping an eye on them. Well, these days I prefer to avoid hatcheries but if you get birds from them, be aware that they will not be 100% instinctively.

A bird that was raised in a cage that is suddenly freeranged, that comes down with something, is often a case of an experimental taste testing gone wrong. Chickens can relearn lost instinct rapidly, especially because they have an instant feedback system that confirms to them that what they're tasting is good or bad to eat. That's why you see them peck things then spit them out. Humans also have this function to some degree but it's largely retarded in us like many of our instincts. We're pretty cage-bred ourselves. ;)

Be wary of internet information but also don't trust anyone's 'facts' without question just because of 'x' amount of experience or age. We're all learners. Everyone's got pieces of the puzzle, not the whole picture.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
where did this list come from ? i saw the link but i mean how did they compile the list ? some of the plants don't even have the correct names they use slang words so how can it be trusted. i know for a fact there are things on this list that maybe cant be used raw but with a little work can be used to at least supplement feed. and some things like hemp seed were used in china for forever. you just cant give the animal all one thing. i have read hemp seed increases fatty acids in the eggs and increases egg weight as long as there diet isnt more than 20% hempseed...... and the plant itself isnt called marijuana in cannabis .. marijuana is a spanish slang word that the american government popularized in order to scare the masses into distrusting a plant that was already commonly used by everybody.

also my grandpa was a mixture of different kinds of american indian from far east kentucky. its all deciduous forest you know alot of oaks and he would crush acorns leave them in the running stream next to the house for a day or two.. till it ran clear instead of white than dry it. its how you make acorn flour.. and would supplement his chicken feed with that. something he learned from his mom

maybe its what the chickens always ate so they had adapted though. i dont know

I just found this by accident, now I am little concerned because I have a HUGE oak tree in the back. There is so much raking it's not even funny. I guess dead leaves are not really going to be an issue but green ones and the acorns are. Do you have any suggestions what I can do besides check the grounds and rake regularly? They won't be quite free range unless I get out there and do that first apparently and can supervise. Argh. So frustrating. I guess I can put the coop somewhere else in the yard, farthest from the tree???

I've had chickens for 15 years and oaks are all over the yard. Never had one drop dead yet because of an oak tree.

Our coop and run are smack underneath a huge oak. -no issues whatsoever with the chickens. (I do take care that the ground doesn't get compacted over the tree roots, though, as I don't want the chickens to destroy the tree.)

like I said in my post I dont think this list is accurate. I have 14 years experience with chickens in the oak ridden hills of Missouri and never ever have had a problem with oaks and the same with my parents before me and my grandparents in the hills of Kentucky

I agree with the others who've spoken about this, I really don't think the list is something to swear by, and plenty of those plants would only ever harm a starved animal that only had the toxic plants available in terms of fodder. Under normal well tended circumstances the overwhelming majority of poultry are simply not at risk from almost all the plants listed.

Hi, love this site and I am getting my first batch of babies today. I was reading your list of poisonous plants and noticed Cherry Tree. the cherry tree is quite prominant in my yard and was hoping to eventually free range my chickens when they are matured enough. Would it be necessary to remove the tree altogether or can I get away with putting a "cage" around the trunk of the tree to make sure they do not peck the bark? thanks

Hi, love this site and I am getting my first batch of babies today. I was reading your list of poisonous plants and noticed Cherry Tree. the cherry tree is quite prominant in my yard and was hoping to eventually free range my chickens when they are matured enough. Would it be necessary to remove the tree altogether or can I get away with putting a "cage" around the trunk of the tree to make sure they do not peck the bark? thanks

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

Please don't remove the tree, it's not necessary and this planet really could do with every tree it's got, lol! The chances of your birds dying from it are negligent to nothing... It will supply them with food though, because it will attract insects, and offer shade and healthier soil which positively impacts the health of everything above the soil... The benefits of trees are many.

The bark is very hard to peck, the chances of them being able to consume it are very, very low. While free ranging they will be very occupied with many other edible things and I'd bet the only reason they will ever peck at the trunk is to get an insect on it.

If you give them a decent diet with shell grits there is no reason for them to attempt to consume such an unusual item as hard tree bark.

If it will help your peace of mind, put a cage around it, but really, it's very unlikely you will ever lose a bird to that tree being there. If you do, it will be almost certainly due to the chook being deficient in diet or instinct (or both), either of which issue causes them to eat inedible or toxic things.

Best wishes.

I think if we could have pictures of some of the toxic plants would be helpful. I have pokeweed growing in my yard and I only recognized the mature plants and not the little younger plants that look different. I think that would be helpful to people like me that don't know what the names of the plants/weeds are growing in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom