Concern for my Mallards feet !

Mallarducks

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2023
Hello! I have two 7 week old ducklings and I currently have them on a concrete floor. My backyard is basically just concrete but if necessary I can make changes. I clean their droppings every 4 hours in the area they occupy ( I don’t mind this) and additionally I make sure there isn’t anything on the floor that can puncture their feet. I’m just conflicted if concrete is bad for their feet in a way that they can get sores or develop bumblefoot. My concrete is not rough like what we see on the roads is more like sidewalk concrete where it’s more smoother. If this is a problem I was thinking moving them into an area where there’s just dirt and a little bit of pebbles around Is this perhaps better for their feet? :(

Attachments

• IMG_0900.jpeg
    IMG_0900.jpeg
    555.6 KB · Views: 21
Hello! I have two 7 week old ducklings and I currently have them on a concrete floor. My backyard is basically just concrete but if necessary I can make changes. I clean their droppings every 4 hours in the area they occupy ( I don’t mind this) and additionally I make sure there isn’t anything on the floor that can puncture their feet. I’m just conflicted if concrete is bad for their feet in a way that they can get sores or develop bumblefoot. My concrete is not rough like what we see on the roads is more like sidewalk concrete where it’s more smoother. If this is a problem I was thinking moving them into an area where there’s just dirt and a little bit of pebbles around Is this perhaps better for their feet? :(
I would normally think it was fine, but read that it's not good for them. Here's one source:

https://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/2022/04/26/gail-damerow-discusses-bumblefoot-in-chickens-and-ducks/#:~:text=The wound becomes infected with,, hardpan, or hardware cloth.

Perhaps if you can split their time on it with time elsewhere? If you can't, I'd just keep an eye out for calluses or wearing on their feet.

P.S. They are adorable! :love

I would normally think it was fine, but read that it's not good for them. Here's one source:

https://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/2022/04/26/gail-damerow-discusses-bumblefoot-in-chickens-and-ducks/#:~:text=The wound becomes infected with,, hardpan, or hardware cloth.

Perhaps if you can split their time on it with time elsewhere? If you can't, I'd just keep an eye out for calluses or wearing on their feet.

P.S. They are adorable! :love
Thank you for your response I appreciate you, I will definitely keep an eye out for any discomforts they could experience. I will start investing in an area where softer terrain is available at their leisure. And thank you they are undeniably adorable they mean the world to me 🥰

Back
Top Bottom