concerned about my chickens in the freezing weather

lovetobake

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 25, 2010
This probably isn't considered an emergency, but I wasn't sure where else to post this. With the freezing weather that is coming our way, starting tomorrow, I'm concerned about our chickens. We live in Georgia and typically we don't see many nights below 15 degrees. However, the weather is calling for the temps. to start dropping tomorrow and be around 5 degrees Monday morning. Are there any things I can do to help my chickens stay warm enough? I just want to make sure they don't freeze. They are in a shed/coop, so they have shelter from the wind. We have 20 chickens, so I'm hoping their body heat helps. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

For extremely cold weather, you can give them a few handfuls of a mixture of corn and hulled sunflower seeds. This provides the extra fat and calories that they need to replenish what they burn off to stay warm. If you scatter it around the coop, it will also keep them busy. Make sure there is plenty of fresh bedding for them and that the coop is well-ventilated. You might also have to check and change the waters every now and then as they could freeze over. If you have electricity in your coop you can place the waters on a heat pad. Also, if you have any breeds like leghorns with huge combs you can put petroleum jelly or vaseline on their combs so that they don't get frostbite because the tips can freeze in extreme cold. Hope this all helps. :)

Chicka and Co,

Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely use it!

I have RiR's and an EE, it has been below zero here for the past few days and the Petroleum Jelly and ensuring the water is not frozen seem to be the key. I give my girls warm Oatmeal as a treat to help keep them warm also, they love it.

Back
Top Bottom