Concerned Duck Momma

nina1993

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 18, 2017
I am new to the world of waterfowl and there is a chance I am worried for no reason. That being said, my 4 week old Pekin has me a bit worried. I have read an ungodly amount about every duck related topic I can find and have also quickly realized that a lot of it comes with first hand experience as not one size fits all per say. I am hoping to hear positive and fast replies because I’m kind of in a bit of a panic over the thought of something being wrong with this baby. There are no other symptoms other than white poop of varying textures for the last 24 hours or so. The only changes to diet have been snacking on earthworms and dandelions yesterday. Feed has been Kalmbachs Duck and Goose with the addition of added B complex to water. I will post a photo of the most recent white poop…the previous one was just white liquid and yesterday was the texture of normal poop ( soft but slight form) but entirely white. There have been normal poops in between but also have noticed more liquid poops than usual.
IMG_3624.jpeg

Has she been showing other signs of illness?
No, she has been acting completely normal. The only other thing I would say has peaked my attention with her is that she seems to be extraordinarily large lol I’m sure it’s probably normal for a Pekin but oh my goodness!! She has a double chin and I didn’t even think ducks were supposed to have 1 chin let alone 2 lol

No, she has been acting completely normal. The only other thing I would say has peaked my attention with her is that she seems to be extraordinarily large lol I’m sure it’s probably normal for a Pekin but oh my goodness!! She has a double chin and I didn’t even think ducks were supposed to have 1 chin let alone 2 lol
It looks and sounds to be completely fine to me also!

Welcome to the wonderful world of ducks!

The white in duck poop is urates--the waste product excreted by kidneys. Ducks, like other birds, do not pee, so urates in the poop is entirely normal
This I did know, I just wasn’t sure if what I had posted the photo of was in fact urates, as well as the two poops that were completely white previously…and thank you for the warm welcome and prompt insight

It looks and sounds to be completely fine to me also!
Thank you, that is what I was hoping to hear but just couldn’t be too careful as I know ducks generally don’t show many signs of illness until it is almost too late

As for double chins and size you may have a Jumbo Pekin. If you can put up pictures we may be able to help and if you can get a pic beside one of your other ducks for size difference that would help.

You can vaguely see her chins if you look closely lol this was taken on Sunday but she is exactly 4 weeks old today

Back
Top Bottom