Concerned that a person attacked chicken - see pics

I can second. I had a male that nicked his comb and when I checked on him it looked like someone got killed. He was fine, but you wouldn't know just looking at the splatters
Yeah I was wondering if a hen or rooster can bruise the back of the neck/head that badly. I guess one of the only ways I would know is by putting the hen back with the flock after it recovers to see what happens next.

That is so scary. Yes we are definitely getting more cameras. I was thinking that maybe she was shaking her head for the splattering to occur, but then I thought if there is severe pain she may not want to shake her head. Further I had thought chickens go into some weird trance at night when they sleep so I dismissed late night fighting, but perhaps they fought right after sunset when they went up into their enclosed area before going to sleep. Or the chicken was in its "trance" making it easier for the person to grab her and beat her over the head with a tool very easily and quickly. All speculation I guess. If I didn't have issues with the sitter/boyfriend I would just straight up assume it was chickens/rooster fighting.
I guess one of the only ways I would know is by putting the hen back with the flock after it recovers to see what happens next, but that sounds scary too.

That is so scary. Yes we are definitely getting more cameras. I was thinking that maybe she was shaking her head for the splattering to occur, but then I thought if there is severe pain she may not want to shake her head. Further I had thought chickens go into some weird trance at night when they sleep so I dismissed late night fighting, but perhaps they fought right after sunset when they went up into their enclosed area before going to sleep. Or the chicken was in its "trance" making it easier for the person to grab her and beat her over the head with a tool very easily and quickly. All speculation I guess. If I didn't have issues with the sitter/boyfriend I would just straight up assume it was chickens/rooster fighting.
They don't go into a trance when sleeping, they just can't see very well in the dark.
Fighting can occur while roosting.
Blood spatters are common and yes - they shake their head slinging blood everywhere, they feel the blood dripping or in my case it was getting into her eyes too. I cleaned her up in the bathroom and I had to clean up blood off the wall and surrounding area, she kept shaking her head.

I do understand you have domestic issues that you are dealing with and of course your thoughts went to that. Unfortunately people can be mean and hurt and animal. Roosters (and hens) can be mean and hurt one another too.

Yeah I was wondering if a hen or rooster can bruise the back of the neck/head that badly. I guess one of the only ways I would know is by putting the hen back with the flock after it recovers to see what happens next.
Inmean, my males bruise me when they grab. The yellow means it's an older bruise usually

The area behind the head and neck is also where many young chicks get hurt when they are put in with other larger chickens without slow integration. But I have also had a hen nearly scalped by a young cockerel starting to mate.

I would try to keep her inside the coop with the others, but spearated in a dog crate after a couple of days of doctoring her. It will make it easier to bring her back. But I would separate the rooster for awhile when that happens.

Back
Top Bottom