Concrete Sand In Run?

I've also read about using sand in the run, not for the poop board, it had to be about 6 inches thick if I recall correctly.
Actually I use the sand inside my coops and poop board with pdz not in the run I use wood chips in run ! I’m in the woods so the wood is just a more natural element for me ! I thought about sand in run but last two years it’s been so wet and it’s also shady from trees I thought it would just be mucky but the sand works well in coop 6-8 inches deep on wood floor stays nice and dry and they like to dust bath in it also ! Easy to clean just use kitty scoop !

I have sand on top of a layer of gravel in my uncovered run. I'm gonna replace it with wood chips eventually. It gets packed down, and it washes to one end of the run because the run is on a grade. Maybe if the sand was on a level floor, didn't get wet, and was sifted everyday, it would be an ok medium. I really can't say, lol. Aart doesn't like it, but some people use it and like it. I myself am not dedicated enough to clean the coop or run every day, so I doubt sand is for me, lol. It accomplished what I wanted and hardened the soil, so it's time to shovel it out and go to wood chips.

Maybe if the sand was on a level floor, didn't get wet, and was sifted everyday, it would be an ok medium. I really can't say, lol.
Exactly....if it's sifted with a very fine mesh.

Aart doesn't like it, but some people use it and like it.
I don't...I think most folks who 'like' it have only used it for a few weeks rather than for a year or more.

Lol I knew what you meant ! I don’t think I would use that in run if it gets wet won’t it harden into cement? I use construction sand fortunately my husband works in a asphalt plant and gets it for me ! If you have a quarry near but you can buy it like you buy mulch by the yard !
I can't seem to find construction sand near me except by the bag. That would by way to expensive for an 6 x 18 ft. run.

I don't...I think most folks who 'like' it have only used it for a few weeks rather than for a year or more.
I’ve been using sand in my coops for two years now and I like it ! I clean everyday! However I’m open to hear other options I would like to try the deep litter method but I’m not sure it would be good where I live ? My dilemma is I’m in the woods so when we have summers with a lot of rain and humidity it’s a nightmare! Being shaded nothing dries out with humidity everything is moist ! I have mold issues not in coop but on ground , stumps etc the straw in my nest boxes are moist it’s very difficult so sand stays dry! If anyone can suggest a better way I’m open for other options! Thanks

I’ve been using sand in my coops for two years now and I like it ! I clean everyday! However I’m open to hear other options I would like to try the deep litter method but I’m not sure it would be good where I live ? My dilemma is I’m in the woods so when we have summers with a lot of rain and humidity it’s a nightmare! Being shaded nothing dries out with humidity everything is moist ! I have mold issues not in coop but on ground , stumps etc the straw in my nest boxes are moist it’s very difficult so sand stays dry! If anyone can suggest a better way I’m open for other options! Thanks
It sounds like you keep it clean and covered. If you like it, that is all that matters.

Sand might be the way to go for you...mold doesn't grow well on sand and won't absorb humidity like dry plant matter does.

I'm 4 months into my experimental sand in both coop and run. I can already see that, although I strove to get the coarsest sand possible, it still has more fines (dust) in it than I would like. My coop and run have become very dusty. I pick up poop every day. I only have four chickens, but the amount of poop they create is staggering....more than I thought. The entire coop and run gets full of poop each day, despite each chicken having 32 sq ft in a coop/run combo that's 128 sq ft total, so I have to pick up poop each day. Sitting through the sand to pick up poop kicks up poop-particle-filled dust, no matter how careful I am.

Once my experimental year is up, I might have to invite @aart to tell me "I told you so," but until then, we'll see!

I can tell you that sand in entire run will NOT work in these situations:
1. The run, or any portion thereof, is not fully covered or is allowed to become wet
2. Your run has less than 30 sq ft per chicken.
3. You have asthma or are immune-compromised.
4. You cannot find sand that is mostly coarse (1 mm particles or larger), and your sand is full of fines/dust.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom