Condy's Crystals ( Potassium Permanganate ). YES or NO!

Thanks Woodland woman. A very nice read.
I to am going to have to get back into the free ranging. Starting TODAY!
and I am putting my foot down. I used to organize to pick a bird up and hadn't really seen it and when I got there noticed something, like scaley but just took the bird because I had already organized it all and didn't want to be a nuisances. But from now on I will thoroughly check the bird and take my time in observing it and then point out to the people it's problem and say why I can't take it home and that will be that
smile.png

You're welcome. Quarantine is always important, so you can fix things that show up during that time. I try to just avoid the problems in the first place.

Quote:
The holistic approach IS basic care and common sense. And basic care and common sense is holistic.
big_smile.png

But once people label it and make rules about how to do it there's always going to be rejections of what has become a philosophy rather than a methodology, and that's when people start chucking out the baby with the bathwater...

Never had the majority of common diseases because I too try to adhere to the 'basic care' you mentioned. Once I had to cage them and feed unnatural feed, during agistments, their health went downhill alarmingly.

Quote:
The holistic approach IS basic care and common sense. And basic care and common sense is holistic.
big_smile.png

But once people label it and make rules about how to do it there's always going to be rejections of what has become a philosophy rather than a methodology, and that's when people start chucking out the baby with the bathwater...

Never had the majority of common diseases because I too try to adhere to the 'basic care' you mentioned. Once I had to cage them and feed unnatural feed, during agistments, their health went downhill alarmingly.

We do have to remember that chickens have always naturally been pasture livestock. Up until the commercialization of them, that's the way they were (along with everything else we consume that has been commercialized).

As a massage therapist, I concur with your description of holistic approach...and I agree, it tends to be better for the animals; what we give them we put in ourselves as the end product. ;)

Agree, kynewbchickie, it's true that we are what we eat. I believe that happy meat is the best meat, and certainly nothing but NOTHING compares to the taste of home grown!

As our commercially intensively kept animals degenerate from unnatural lifestyles, so do the humans that feed on them. Same with plants and the environment in general. Unfortunately for many humans it's a lesson learned too late, not at all, or at great cost, and for the planet in general it's looking like it's very, very 'late in the day' so to speak. We (as a race) have done so much harm in ignorance.

Agree, kynewbchickie, it's true that we are what we eat. I believe that happy meat is the best meat, and certainly nothing but NOTHING compares to the taste of home grown!

As our commercially intensively kept animals degenerate from unnatural lifestyles, so do the humans that feed on them. Same with plants and the environment in general. Unfortunately for many humans it's a lesson learned too late, not at all, or at great cost, and for the planet in general it's looking like it's very, very 'late in the day' so to speak. We (as a race) have done so much harm in ignorance.

Oh, the conversations we could have!
thumbsup.gif

I worked as a vet tech for a vet for a while that practiced very naturally and humanely, which sparked my interest in attending college to get into medicine as a whole. I started out Pre-Med & Baccalaureate Nursing double major, and changed my mind 2 years in due to something a professor (also a practicing physician) told our class about the system in general. That's when I went into massage therapy, got my certification, and will soon be practicing yet again now that the market for it is opening back up in my area. I decided to go back to college and take up Biology as a major, but due to the legislature changes and life changes here, I left again. We just couldn't afford for me to have to retake classes over and over again due to departmental changes. I left out of college as a senior and have considered going back eventually once they decide to graduate people and not just make money off of them. During all that time, I learned so much about the world's homeostatic balance, which is nearly identical to every plant, animal, and even human that lives on it. From all that information, I decided to go sustainable for our own family. Hopefully in a year, we'll be able to install 4 wind turbines, 6 solar panels, and an ice house to where we can go as close to independent as possible. We're doing everything we can to reduce our footprint and teach our kids through experience and example that it can be done - just have to be willing to put in work, effort, and time to do it.

Quote: No arguments here!
big_smile.png
My family is fairly aware of these things too, and only getting more aware as time goes by. Via the teacher of much pain, unfortunately. It's been a cherished dream of ours for a long time now to become self-sustainable in lifestyle.

I think mainstream school in Australia needs a major overhaul to give real education concerning the planet and our connection with it. We need to see our race and the world through a different lens because the one we're looking through fractures the truth into separate images that don't coalesce, and that's incorrect. Kids are taught that we are separate from the environment, but we are part of the organism as a whole, and as it sickens and dies, so do we. It's interesting how our lifestyles of disease have made a planetary disease. There's a different way to present facts about ecosystems and global systems that once constructed and applied will help make great changes in common perception. I think people wouldn't raise their children and animals the way they do if they clearly understood how it will impact on themselves and the world in future. Ignorance is not bliss, experience proves. It's unnecessary suffering and loss.

Good on you and your partner for trying to raise consciously aware citizens of the globe, so to speak. Wish your family all the best in your endeavour. We hope to be doing the same soon. Very much looking forward to it. Agree, we could have some conversations!
smile.png

I think mainstream school in Australia needs a major overhaul to give real education concerning the planet and our connection with it. We need to see our race and the world through a different lens because the one we're looking through fractures the truth into separate images that don't coalesce, and that's incorrect. Kids are taught that we are separate from the environment, but we are part of the organism as a whole, and as it sickens and dies, so do we. It's interesting how our lifestyles of disease have made a planetary disease. There's a different way to present facts about ecosystems and global systems that once constructed and applied will help make great changes in common perception. I think people wouldn't raise their children and animals the way they do if they clearly understood how it will impact on themselves and the world in future.

Here in the States, we have the same problem...during grade school through high school, most public education curriculum teaches the same "separation" you speak of there in Australia. Yet, in college Biology curriculum, they teach that we are a part of the ecosystem as a whole, just like every other plant and animal on the earth. It really makes no sense - as an older student, I'd sit there in class and watch the freshmen's faces when the instructor would get into those concepts and listen to their arguments about, "well, this/that teacher in this/that grade taught us that we're outside of the ecosystem and that's why it's up to us to keep it balanced and under control." CONTROL is not possible. Maybe for a period of time, but eventually that homeostatic balance will correct itself of our "imbalanced control" mechanisms. It's just a matter of time, like you said, as we are very late in the day in realizing this.
Money and power has a way of keeping truth and information that connects the dots, so-to-speak, from getting out there to the masses.
barnie.gif

Condy's Crystals may be really good for immediate sanitation purposes in third-world countries, or even in emergencies where water treatment fails and isn't available for a time. But I'm not going to put it in my chicken's water "just in case." There are all kinds of natural remedies, and antibiotics that are cheap and effective, for coccidiosis. Thankfully, we've not had any problems from cocci...and thanks to installing a poop board, I can keep a closer eye on their droppings for signs of problems.

Back
Top Bottom