1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confession, and a question, eggs/incubation... **Graphic pic**

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Bettacreek, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, I admit, it's day 19, and well, no pips, no noise, nothing. So, I pulled a few eggs out and cracked them. I did it slowly to see if there was any blood, and I figured I'd stop if there was. The first three had undersized chicks, that were killed presumably in the heat spike last week or so. They were definately not full term chicks, and still had huge egg yolks, the big monster sized eyes, etc. Then, the last egg I cracked, well, I found this:
    [​IMG]

He wasn't moving, and there was no blood, but, you can see that the yolk was almost absorbed, thus he had to of been close to full term. Did I kill him by opening the egg, or did he die in the egg? There was no movement or anything, but, well, if he died in the egg, then what happened? He would have been a survivor of the heat spike, but then what else would have killed him so close if it wasn't my fault? Or, was it my fault? I just remember people breaking open eggs and finding wigglers in them, and this guy wasn't moving at all. So, am I a killer, or what happened?

P.S. Sorry for the BK wrapper, I poured the little guy onto a paper towel in the trash can.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    1 It would have been moving for a few second after you opened the egg if it was still alive.

2 your not a killer it and was most likely dead if it was on day 19 and still looked like that!

I'd stop worrying and leave the rest alone for awhile.

And from what I've heard coturnix arn't usually seen when pipping!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't know.... but the couple that I have lost during hatch were wiggling and moving up until they got stuck and died..... If it had been alive when you removed it from the egg.... I would think that you would have known without a doubt.

Also...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    He was definitely already dead if he wasn't moving and was still that wet at 19 days. Some of them just die late...just chalk it up to natural selection.

6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    What kind of quail? Sometimes they just die. I would give the others a few more days as long as there is no smell

7. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Oh and [​IMG]:hugs:hugs

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Thanks for the BK wrapper giggle!

Honestly, he would have been wiggling even if you would have been the killer(or as my dd call me MURDERER!!!)

I however, don't think you did. I would say he was close and ALMOST made it but just could not. Don't beat yourself up. I did crack one open and had a wiggler and it later died, I was SICK that I killed it. things happen for a reason. [​IMG]

9. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    This is all a learning process and science is important.
    Looking at what you have will only improve your future attempts.
    We are already messing with nature when we put the eggs in the incubator.
    Don't be hard on yourself. I have opened fully formed eggs at 20 and 21 days after others have hatched and found fully formed chicks that just were not going to hatch.
    Try again. Start over. Move on. This is small stuff.

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    That gross cloudy green color in the egg is from decompoistion you deffinatly did not kill that chick.....there'd be a bloody mess with that chick right now as well if you opened it up to a live chick so nope you didn't kill it no question about it [​IMG]

I cannot tell you why it didnt hatch though, either it just wasnt meant to hatch or the heat spike hurt it and it died later on.....it's hard to tell! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by