Confession time!

Most of my silkies look a lot a like. One is a partridge and her name is Flo, the roos are named because we can tell them apart. Slick is the only white roo, Tarzan has a walnut comb and crows like Tarzan yells, Bob (from the movie "what about Bob")was gender confused for a long time & a bit nutz. The 4 cinnamon queens are known simply as the spice girls, we have a banty pair called Ross & Rachel and one RIR named Sticky-Butt due to a hatching problem. There are 56 in all and the rest are pretty much nameless. LOL

Last edited:
I only have the 5 RIRs right now, (more chicks next week) but I can tell everyone apart by personality. It helps that some of them were named for a characteristic. Sleepy is almost always sleeping, and Blondie is still like 3 shades lighter than everyone else. I admit sometimes I get them confused for a minute though, at which point they become 'Chicken'. I probably wouldn't name one that didn't have strong characteristics to go by.

I still confuse two of my dark brahmas and two of the buffs. The last of my chickens to get names were over a year old.
hmm.png

I just got 5 RIR pullets and one has already developed her wattles so I call her Wattles (but I know the others will all get them soon so we'll have to rename at some point). One was lighter than the others so I call her honey, but I noticed yesterday that she's getting darker, so I may have to rename her at some point. There are three that are almost identical and I just call them Sweet Pea or other terms of endearment. They are so fun to watch that I sit in my coop on a milk crate and watch them play two or three times a day! The only problem is that I always leave with lice... ewww.... my husband is allergic to chemicals so I'm not sure how to handle the problem (it's our neighbour's coop and we're building one with white wash and linoleum so hopefully the problem will just go away).

I only have 8 girls right now, 2 of each breed.

So far we have "Penelope" from The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, and "Stefani," named after my sons half-sister LOL.

"Daphne" and "Velma," the Silkies, named from Scooby Doo. "Daphne" is the more glamorous of the pair.

"Betty" and "Wilma" are the RIRs. I can't really tell them apart.

And so far only one Leghorn has a name, "Melissa," named after my niece, also named by my son LOL

The only bird we've named so far is Toby, because it had crooked toes. Toby's got spraddle leg now as best we can tell, but he doesn't much seem to care. I've been prepared to euth him for weeks, expecting that he'd go down permanently at some point.. We decided to give him a chance until it became really obvious that he was in pain or something, though.

Incredibly, he still runs and fights and pushes other birds out of the way when he wants a certain spot in the feeder. He's a bonafide young rooster, alright.

Incidentally, my wife was watching the chicks the other day and here comes ol' Toby, hopping his way to the feeder. "Awwww, poor Toby..." she said..

I said "Eh, Toby seems fine to me...he won't need that leg much longer anyway."

Is that bad?
tongue.png

I have named my girls...but I have only 4 and they all look different...I named them off of there personality or something they have done...My BA is bella because she like to ring the bell in her brooder alot....Cleopatra is an EE and she has really pretty "eyeliner" that reminds me of her namesake....Mischief is another EE and her name say's it all...and Alice is my RIR and she got her name from my husband who thought it went along well with Bella.

I have the same problem too. I only have a RIR roo named the Big Guy, and a BO roo names Dandy, all the hens BO and BR all look the same. I am thinking leg bands for when they are grown.

My EEs are collectively known as "the Jug Band" but are named - as well as the others:

Frankie
Sparrow
Rusty
Marilyn Manson "the Rock star"
Big Mary
Reba
Buttercup
Indie
Big Roz
Barnabee

RIP
Big Martha