Confirm BCM Cockerel Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dannyelle123, Feb 17, 2017.

1. dannyelle123

dannyelle123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Elk Grove, CA
    Here is the little dude in question... 2 weeks old, black copper marans, very large legs and sharp talons. I want to try and sell him once confirmed... Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not able to be definitive just yet - not a "loud and proud" obvious cockerel - so you'll need to wait at least a couple more weeks.

3. dannyelle123

Jun 1, 2014
    Elk Grove, CA
    You don't think the legs are a giveaway? They are much thicker than my other chicks, he is heavier, and he does puff up his chest, but not for this pic cuz he was shocked to be in a box... I have also seen him doing a crowing like motion with his throat.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I don't use single characteristics like legs in making a determination - for me the more minor characteristics like legs, stance, etc are the *and* parts of a gender ID, not the *because* parts. While males generally have thicker legs, a different stance, etc it is not as universally true/accurate as the other characteristics and you can have a "cocky pullet" or "pullety cockerel" which is why *I* would not place a definite gender on this chick at this time. There is nothing to lose by waiting a couple of weeks so that you can be certain and the potential of losing a nice pullet if you didn't wait and turned out to be incorrect.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    As your assessment is based on comparison with other chicks it may be helpful to show some of the other chicks with this one so that we are also afforded the benefit of that comparison vs. seeing just this chick and having no reference against which to judge the characteristics you are assessing.

6. dannyelle123

Jun 1, 2014
    Elk Grove, CA
    Good advice... Alright I will try to get some pics next to one I think is a female

7. dannyelle123

Jun 1, 2014
    Elk Grove, CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it's my only BCM I only have EEs to compare... But it's legs are thicker than my other chick that is a week older...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    While it is true that thick legs can be a rooster sign, I'm not jumping to the conclusion that your BCM is a cockerel. It is still too young to accurately sex based on appearance.

9. dannyelle123

Jun 1, 2014
    Elk Grove, CA
    Thanks, I'll try and remember to update this thread in a couple of weeks and hopefully have a better idea. Though I'm thinking with all of my chicks I won't be thoroughly convinced until they crow! lol

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    too young

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by