Confirm BCM Cockerel Please

dannyelle123

Songster
5 Years
Jun 1, 2014
Elk Grove, CA
Here is the little dude in question... 2 weeks old, black copper marans, very large legs and sharp talons. I want to try and sell him once confirmed... Thanks

You don't think the legs are a giveaway? They are much thicker than my other chicks, he is heavier, and he does puff up his chest, but not for this pic cuz he was shocked to be in a box... I have also seen him doing a crowing like motion with his throat.

You don't think the legs are a giveaway? They are much thicker than my other chicks, he is heavier, and he does puff up his chest, but not for this pic cuz he was shocked to be in a box... I have also seen him doing a crowing like motion with his throat.

I don't use single characteristics like legs in making a determination - for me the more minor characteristics like legs, stance, etc are the *and* parts of a gender ID, not the *because* parts. While males generally have thicker legs, a different stance, etc it is not as universally true/accurate as the other characteristics and you can have a "cocky pullet" or "pullety cockerel" which is why *I* would not place a definite gender on this chick at this time. There is nothing to lose by waiting a couple of weeks so that you can be certain and the potential of losing a nice pullet if you didn't wait and turned out to be incorrect.

As your assessment is based on comparison with other chicks it may be helpful to show some of the other chicks with this one so that we are also afforded the benefit of that comparison vs. seeing just this chick and having no reference against which to judge the characteristics you are assessing.

Unfortunately it's my only BCM I only have EEs to compare... But it's legs are thicker than my other chick that is a week older...

Last edited:
While it is true that thick legs can be a rooster sign, I'm not jumping to the conclusion that your BCM is a cockerel. It is still too young to accurately sex based on appearance.

Thanks, I'll try and remember to update this thread in a couple of weeks and hopefully have a better idea. Though I'm thinking with all of my chicks I won't be thoroughly convinced until they crow! lol

Back
Top Bottom