Confirm on gender please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenTenderKesha, Sep 3, 2019.

1. ChickenTenderKesha

ChickenTenderKesha Songster

Aug 9, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Sold to me as an Ameraucana (looks like one), roughly 19 weeks old.. the tail feathers are worrying me along with my one cockerels behaviour today towards this one. S/he has a severe scissor beak so it’s difficult to know for sure as it’s harder to prune the feathers with a beak like that.
    Thanks in advance!
    Edit: they do act like a hen and is skiddish of that cockerel BUT I had found CB in our canopy shelter and when I brought them back to the coop he full on chased CB back into the canopy

Attached Files:

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    My Coop
    Pullet

ChickenTenderKesha likes this.
  3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Pullet, and yes ameraucana.
    I would make sure that since you have a cockerel, that you don't hatch any of her eggs. The scissor beak can be passed on.

4. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Crowing

Apr 25, 2019
    Carroll county, Maryland

5. ChickenTenderKesha

Aug 9, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you! :love I wasn’t planning on breeding her because she’s so much smaller ... I also didn’t think she would lay as many eggs or good ones because of that reason ?

chrissynemetz likes this.
  6. MandaH

MandaH Chirping

Feb 19, 2019
    She is gorgeous :)

7. MandaH

MandaH Chirping

Feb 19, 2019
    It shouldnt hinder her ability to lay her egg. Poor girl on her deformity though! Just make sure she gets enough protein and she should be good with normal egg laying abilities

8. ChickenTenderKesha

Aug 9, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you!! :love She’s an absolute sweetheart too

9. ChickenTenderKesha

Aug 9, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh I’m glad it won’t affect her production, I’ll hopefully get one more blue egg to sell (or eat myself) yet! I’ve adjusted their feeding so it’s easier for her and I make sure she has a full crop at night. When she gets closer to laying I’ll make her an egg scramble with the shells too and let her eat it separately from the others, I’ll make sure they get their own as well so I’m not “playing favourites” :lau

10. MandaH

MandaH Chirping

Feb 19, 2019
    lol! She would totally be my favorite! I had some gorgeous pullets from this Spring and a fox helped itself unfortunately. Seeing pictures like yours makes me think I might need to order some more chicks yet this fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: