Confirm the sex of these 2 silkies please!

I have a partridge silkie hen that is pretty aggressive too. She will poke at chickens twice her size. I wonder if that's something with the color? My other silkies are not like that at all!

I think Jethro is a boy. I have no silkie hens with wattles and combs like that. Ellie Mae looks like a hen. I have several silkie males including two that never crow and they are 8 months old! I think some of them are just content to hang out.
smile.png

Well I performed a very un-scientific experiment today. You know how when you hold a hen, then set her down and she shakes off? I remember being told that this was the mechanism by which a hen moves the roosters sperm to her infundibulum to await eggs to fertilize.
Well I picked up Ellie and loved on him/her and when I set her down, she shook off. When I did the same to Jethro he/she did not shake off. I could have skewed my results though since Jethro was already on the roost and ready to sleep when I picked him up.
My rooster and cockerel never shake off after I've held them.
I'm going to try it again tomorrow with Jethro, during the daytime, just out of curiosity.

Well I performed my little experiment again today, this time with Jethro. He/she did shake off after I held him, patting him on the back, etc.

Just to sure, I held both of my roo and my cockerel, several times. When I set them back down, neither one shook off.

I'm still holding out hope.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom