confirmed blood in stool?

nettie

Enslaved by Indoor Ducks
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
My ducks are all currently fine, but in my line of work, I come across people with health problems I just don't have knowledge on and thought maybe BYC could help me out...

A woman I spoke to had suspected blood in her duck's poop (7 month old cayuga-runner cross), and brought her to the vet. they confirmed it was blood, but since poop, urine, and eggs all come out of the same place they couldn't tell where it came from. The Duck is female and has NOT laid any eggs yet. They also did an x-ray but didn't see anything suspicious. She says the vet sees ducks from time to time and has knowledge about them, but is concerned it's not enough.

My thought were maybe some egg issues and she's having a hard time with her first one. The duck is eating well and drinking just fine, and does not seem ill or lethargic or listless. I warned about ducks hiding illness, but couldn't really offer any more help... Can anyone else weigh in or have a similar problem?

(closest I had was victor eating a long red ribbon I had to pull out. lol)

thanks guys

Nettie, could it be coccidiosis?
That's really the only other thing I can think of.

"Chickens are not the only birds affected by Coccidiosis. Turkeys, geese, and ducks, among others, are affected as well. Cocci are a naturally occurring protozoan parasite found in almost every soil sample."
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page7.htm

Back
Top Bottom