Confused

divineangel94

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
I have this hen who I noticed pooped out some yolk. No shell just clear poop with some yellow in it. She sometimes stands still but she eats a lot and is a big girl. She will chase treats and even peck at others so there is no real signs. The first 2 times I watched her poop they were like that so I got scared that an egg broke inside her. Than after waiting another half an hour she pooped a dark brown and white but mucous poop. Is it possible it was an egg that didn't form a shell?

I don't think I'd start worrying yet. It's possible she had a little oops with the egg machinery, or maybe ate something that disagreed with her. If she seems otherwise normal, active and in good spirits, I'd just watch her for now. Nine out of ten it'll clear up on it's own.

I have this hen who I noticed pooped out some yolk. No shell just clear poop with some yellow in it. She sometimes stands still but she eats a lot and is a big girl. She will chase treats and even peck at others so there is no real signs. The first 2 times I watched her poop they were like that so I got scared that an egg broke inside her. Than after waiting another half an hour she pooped a dark brown and white but mucous poop. Is it possible it was an egg that didn't form a shell?
Did you happen to get some photos of the poop?

I would watch her for a couple of days.
How old is she?

Do you feed layer feed or have crushed oyster shell available for free taking as a calcium supplement? Is there any stress in the coop, such as being chased by rooster or young cockerels?

Best not to give layer feed to any birds not laying. All flock with free-choice oyster shells is safe for everyone. You wouldn't think it'd be that big a deal, but I guess it really is.

Back
Top Bottom