Confusion Over Cuckoo / Barring Genetics

Azaia

Chirping
Nov 30, 2021
The whole chicken genetics angle is a minefield! I'm trying to work out what I will get in the F2. I call upon anyone that finds genetics a breeze! I'm looking at you @The Moonshiner et al.

So here it goes:

I crossed a solid blue Orpington male with a black cuckoo Orpington girl.

From that hatch I got a solid grey girl and a sex linked black. Does this mean the rooster was single barred? I say that because all the girls were not black.

So, if I was now to cross these resulting girls with an earlier offspring from the same father/mother - a blue cuckoo young cockerel (when its time). Then my question is this:

Does that also mean that the blue cuckoo boy would be single barred too? And if so, what would the resulting hatch look like?

Always very appreciative of all the help and wisdom i've found on BYC! xx

The whole chicken genetics angle is a minefield! I'm trying to work out what I will get in the F2. I call upon anyone that finds genetics a breeze! I'm looking at you @The Moonshiner et al.

So here it goes:

I crossed a solid blue Orpington male with a black cuckoo Orpington girl.

From that hatch I got a solid grey girl and a sex linked black. Does this mean the rooster was single barred? I say that because all the girls were not black.

So, if I was now to cross these resulting girls with an earlier offspring from the same father/mother - a blue cuckoo young cockerel (when its time). Then my question is this:

Does that also mean that the blue cuckoo boy would be single barred too? And if so, what would the resulting hatch look like?

Always very appreciative of all the help and wisdom i've found on BYC! xx
You're working with two sets of genes here.
First blue and black. When you cross the two you get an average of 50% blues and 50% blacks.
Sounds like your girl is blue and the boy got black.
The cuckoo gene is sex linked. Boys have two copies. Cuckoo/cuckoo, cuckoo/non cuckoo or non cuckoo/non cuckoo. They'll pass one of their genes to all offspring.
Females only get one copy so they're either cuckoo or non cuckoo. They get their gene from their father and pass theirs to their sons.
Cuckoo is dominant so if they have it it shows.
You blue male doesn't have the cuckoo gene so none of his daughters will be cuckoo.
The mother is cuckoo so all her sons will get one copy from her and show cuckoo but yes single gene cuckoo and a non cuckoo gene.
Crossing the blue single gene cuckoo male over non cuckoo black females will average 50% of both sexes cuckoo and 50% of both sexes non cuckoo. Males that are cuckoo will be single gene cuckoo.
You'll also get an average of 50% black and 50% blue of both sexes.
So black, blue, cuckoo and blue cuckoo of both sexs are possible.
That rooster with blue hens will result in the same but also adding some splash and splash cuckoo in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom