Connecticut!

Quote:
Hi Jenn,

Different breeds have different characteristics. I think if you go to the breed page on BYC and research some different you like, then determine if they will suit your family and flock. I'm a true believer that you get out of your babies what you put into them. I've heard many folks tell me my RIR or NHR's were going to be the biggest meanies!! Well, I handled them a lot as babies and whenever I go out to the paddock they come running over to say hello, where's my goody treats, and talk to me.

Tractor style coops are very nice but, just realize they are not predator proof. Make sure you think of all pred's that can access your area and do good look over your coop to make sure nothing can get in. When Chickens are sleeping they are oblivious to everything else going on at night.

Take your time on finding the right breed and hopeful all will fall into place for you and your family
wink.png

If you every have any questions, BYC is the place to bounce them off of!

Best Wishes,
Beth

I'm so excited! After much deliberation, we have ordered our chicks (from Meyer Hatchery) - they are scheduled to arrive 8/2-8/4 (still have to build the brooder and coop).

We are getting a Heinz 57 mix of females (where possible):
- Barred Plymouth Rock
- Speckled Sussex
- Black Australorp
- Dominique
- Salmon Faverolle
- Golden Campine
- White Cochin
- Welsummer
- Silver Laced Wyandotte
- Golden Laced Wyandotte
- Ameraucana
- 2 White Silkie Bantams (straight run)
- 2 Blue Silkie Bantams (straight run)
- 1 free "Meal Maker" Mystery chick

Did I mention that I'm so excited!!!!

Luke13:34 :

Yay, chickies!! How can you possibly wait until August, though? Best to run off to TSC to get a few babies to tide you over and practice with.

yuckyuck.gif
First Class Enabler!​

Does anyone here use an organic layer feed that they love? I was using Blue Seal organic pellets but a visiting vet looked at my six hens and said they were all on the thin side. They had been wormed in December and the fecal tests came back fine so I know it isn't that. I read about Azure Standard which supposedly makes a great product but they don't ship to CT at this point. I'm back to using regular Blue Seal but I'd really like to find a non-soy, non-corn organic layer food.

Back
Top Bottom