Connecticut!

i just got my chicks. and one of the little guys has a hard clump on his butt looks like poop but its rock hard i tried warm water with a cloth but didn't really help any suggestions? first time having chicks since i was 10 years old so been a very long time. thanks
got to pick it off. It's serious if you don't.

i just got my chicks. and one of the little guys has a hard clump on his butt looks like poop but its rock hard i tried warm water with a cloth but didn't really help any suggestions? first time having chicks since i was 10 years old so been a very long time. thanks
Run the butt under warm water to loosen the stool and remove. You'll want to dry it well using a towel and a blowdryer set on low if you have one. You can apply some Vasolene on the vent to help prevent stool from caking. Do this as many times a day as you see it built up.

If you don't already have probiotics in the water I would suggest adding that and you can also feed scrambled eggs for added protein.

Last edited:
Rain Rain go away!!

My 9 week old EE's (tractor supply sold them as ameraucanas, but i don't trust them fully) are almost fully feathered. Too soon to put them outside with my year old girls?
They are still small, they've grown a lot slower than my leghorns and sexlinks did, but they are seriously going crazy in their brooder. lol
Thoughts? still too young?

Rain Rain go away!!

My 9 week old EE's (tractor supply sold them as ameraucanas, but i don't trust them fully) are almost fully feathered. Too soon to put them outside with my year old girls?
They are still small, they've grown a lot slower than my leghorns and sexlinks did, but they are seriously going crazy in their brooder. lol
Not too young. The next hurdle is to get them integrated with an existing frock. Start by free ranging together and see how that goes.

Rain Rain go away!!  

My 9 week old EE's (tractor supply sold them as ameraucanas, but i don't trust them fully) are almost fully feathered.  Too soon to put them outside with my year old girls?

Nope not too young. If you are really worried about them being cold you could always add a heat lamp to the coop. They should be fine though.

Not too young. The next hurdle is to get them integrated with an existing frock. Start by free ranging together and see how that goes.

Nope not too young. If you are really worried about them being cold you could always add a heat lamp to the coop. They should be fine though.
Thank you!

This will be my first time introducing new chicks to my older chicks. 3 of my girls tend to be bullys (even to me) so I am a little worried. I'm going to do some more reading in here about introductions, but what are your experiences?

Back
Top Bottom