Connecticut!

Thank you! Yes I just joined. That person doesn't have any left. She sold out in just a few days! Seems like ct is chicken crazy! A few of the people at the local feed stores said this year they just can't keep enough chicks in the stores.

I'm just a (slightly obsessed) hobbyist, so my list is ever changing. Since I have no roosters I'm limited to what hatching eggs I can buy, so there will likely never be a list so to speak. At the current moment I have a female black sex link and a black Isbar, which is looking like a female but still early to tell. Next weekend I will be hatching out about 10 blue laced red Wyandottes and 10-11 bantam Cochins, half of which should be frizzle. My next hatch after that should be 35 Mille fluer D'uccle, and my next hatch after that should be cream legbars, which are auto sexing. I know it's not ideal for some one who is actively looking to add to their flock right at the very moment, but it does offer something to people that are looking to add to, or supplement their current flock a bit, if anyone would like to stay informed on what I have hatching, shoot me a pm and I'd gladly keep you on the loop!

Chicks that are the same age as your current ones would be preferable.
smile.png
However, if they don't get along, I recommend separating them with a piece of hardware cloth or mesh so they can slowly get used to each other, for about a week.
Also, if you ever go onto Facebook, there's a Connecticut Poultry Swap and Chat group, and recently I've been seeing a few people selling sexed pullets of various breeds. Here's a screenshot of one of the posts::

Sorry just a personal peeve. I hate the confusion the hatcheries have created by calling anything with the blue egg gene an Americauna, Araucana or Ameraucana when they are in fact Easter Eggers. I just think people are entitled to know what they are buying and only fair to the true breed. I got fooled myself when I first started with them. Hint if someone listing Ameraucanas does not or can not tell you what color they are ie Wheaten. Blue. Black, Splash... then they are Easter Egger hybrids. Dont get me wrong they are nice friendly chickens but as with a nice dog a mut is a mut though we still love them. The problem is people think that is what a Ameraucana looks like... kind of like selling muts under a breed name like German shepherd til everyone thinks that they are German Shepherds Sorry for the rant....

Thank you! Yes I just joined. That person doesn't have any left. She sold out in just a few days! Seems like ct is chicken crazy! A few of the people at the local feed stores said this year they just can't keep enough chicks in the stores.

Haha, I know right? In Lock Stock and Barrel (feed store) in Bethany, they sold out all their chicks before the Chick Day presentation/talk. This year people are just crazy for chicks!
It seems that every couple days a few sale posts pop up about baby chicks, so you still might have a chance to get some.

I think this mild winter has everyone chomping at the bit to get into spring activities like hatching eggs, starting chicks and gardening. Once the spring fever subsides things will go back to normal.

Chicks that are the same age as your current ones would be preferable. :) However, if they don't get along, I recommend separating them with a piece of hardware cloth or mesh so they can slowly get used to each other, for about a week. Also, if you ever go onto Facebook, there's a Connecticut Poultry Swap and Chat group, and recently I've been seeing a few people selling sexed pullets of various breeds. Here's a screenshot of one of the posts::
Sorry just a personal peeve. I hate the confusion the hatcheries have created by calling anything with the blue egg gene an Americauna, Araucana or Ameraucana when they are in fact Easter Eggers. I just think people are entitled to know what they are buying and only fair to the true breed. I got fooled myself when I first started with them. Hint if someone listing Ameraucanas does not or can not tell you what color they are ie Wheaten. Blue. Black, Splash... then they are Easter Egger hybrids. Dont get me wrong they are nice friendly chickens but as with a nice dog a mut is a mut though we still love them. The problem is people think that is what a Ameraucana looks like... kind of like selling muts under a breed name like German shepherd til everyone thinks that they are German Shepherds Sorry for the rant....
Yeah, it is frustrating that people are still calling EEs Ameraucanas. There are a few Ameraucana breeders in CT though. Syman Says Farm in Salem, CT has Lavender Ameraucanas.:love

I'm just a (slightly obsessed) hobbyist, so my list is ever changing. Since I have no roosters I'm limited to what hatching eggs I can buy, so there will likely never be a list so to speak. At the current moment I have a female black sex link and a black Isbar, which is looking like a female but still early to tell. Next weekend I will be hatching out about 10 blue laced red Wyandottes and 10-11 bantam Cochins, half of which should be frizzle. My next hatch after that should be 35 Mille fluer D'uccle, and my next hatch after that should be cream legbars, which are auto sexing. I know it's not ideal for some one who is actively looking to add to their flock right at the very moment, but it does offer something to people that are looking to add to, or supplement their current flock a bit, if anyone would like to stay informed on what I have hatching, shoot me a pm and I'd gladly keep you on the loop!
I am guessing it is too late to warn you that hatching chicks like having chickens can be addictive. A few years back I built an incubator from an old console TV and hatched out hundreds of chicks. Shortly afterwards I learned the hard way that most people want them sexed not straight run. My other half won't ever let me do that again lol. Now I try to design my eggs as sex link crosses and much smaller batches.
You know you have a problem when you have all these chicks hatching but still feel the need to go out and buy more. I am picking up some California Greys and Cuckoo Marans April 1.

Yeah, it is frustrating that people are still calling EEs Ameraucanas. There are a few Ameraucana breeders in CT though. Syman Says Farm in Salem, CT has Lavender Ameraucanas.
love.gif
Thanks, Good to know where the other local breeders are for when I want to add new blood to my lines. I have Blue Black splash, Blue Wheaten, Wheaten Ameraucanas. I have a couple lavenders as well but dont breed them. My sister lives very close to there so I may have to go take a look.

Thanks, Good to know where the other local breeders are for when I want to add new blood to my lines. I have Blue Black splash, Blue Wheaten, Wheaten Ameraucanas. I have a couple lavenders as well but dont breed them. My sister lives very close to there so I may have to go take a look.
I have bantam Ameraucanas for breeding and showing. I live in North Stonington. You can find other Ameraucana breeders in the area by checking out the breeder listings on www.ameraucana.org or www.ameraucanaalliance.org.

Hello! I am new here on Backyard Chickens ...just popping in to say I am in Monroe CT! Just moved here from NJ in November and loving it so far.

Back
Top Bottom