Connecticut!

What seeds are you using??.......mine rabe were planted last year and this year we get tonsof florets and they are thick and yummy..In a 10x10 area I get about a bushel every few DAYS. i do put down granular fetilizer in march...they like alot of water....also i have seeds i bought back with me when i visited relatives in Italy 4 yrs ago!!!! and bags full!!! just a side note to keep in mind your welcome too em!

Ooh. Thanks! I'll trade you for eggs and chickens. ;). I've used a few different types of seeds. Some from burpee some from comstock&ferre and the Hudson seed savers. I tend to have very unspectacular success with the early crops- radishes beets and rabe. I do microgreens lettuce but just for the chickens. I am very proud of my hot peppers and tomatoes but the tomatoes keep getting struck with fusarium or anthracnose I think. Not blight. I do mostly heirlooms and try not to use a lot of sprays and am spotty about keeping the schedule when I do. Maybe this year I will do chlorothalanil and mancozeb and be consistent. It's not that toxic, hopefully. Am scaling way back one size because I overdo it and wider spacing should help.

Ooh. Thanks! I'll trade you for eggs and chickens. ;). I've used a few different types of seeds. Some from burpee some from comstock&ferre and the Hudson seed savers. I tend to have very unspectacular success with the early crops- radishes beets and rabe. I do microgreens lettuce but just for the chickens. I am very proud of my hot peppers and tomatoes but the tomatoes keep getting struck with fusarium or anthracnose I think. Not blight. I do mostly heirlooms and try not to use a lot of sprays and am spotty about keeping the schedule when I do. Maybe this year I will do chlorothalanil and mancozeb and be consistent. It's not that toxic, hopefully. Am scaling way back one size because I overdo it and wider spacing should help.

Started mine last month! Tomatoes are coming along but the peppers are still dinky. Peppers take a while though. Trying a new world's hottest pepper called the scorpion pepper - hotter than the ghost chile. Then the usual non-insanely hot ones. I like de Arbols because they are good amount of heat and dry nicely to store.

Started mine last month! Tomatoes are coming along but the peppers are still dinky. Peppers take a while though. Trying a new world's hottest pepper called the scorpion pepper - hotter than the ghost chile. Then the usual non-insanely hot ones. I like de Arbols because they are good amount of heat and dry nicely to store.
. Do you use those in your cooking or grow them for family/friends,I like the long hots for sandwiches.My aunt makes this unbelievable mixture of various hot peppers that she pickles and we put them on everything whenever I visit her she sends a container home with me.

Both. i tend to give a lot away. I did make some salsa with the ghost chile a couple of years ago. Only needed about 1 chile for everything. I use de Arbols for arrabiata. I like the long hots stuffed with provolone and also roasted. Yum! Pickled sounds good too like pepperoncini. I have thought about pickling the little habaneros but that's a lot more work doing canning. I've done it but definitely think its something previous generations are more into. It's nice when you have someone who likes to do it for you!

Does anyone know of a local source for fertile eggs? I have a dozen Swedish flower eggs coming later this week, and I'm considering adding a few more dual purpose eggs. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Hello Fellow CT Peeps!!
I'm totaly new to chickens, just got my first 3 and have 12 more coming in a couple weeks. I'm having a blast with them!! I'm in East Haddam so it seems that I'm close to quite a few of you!!

Back
Top Bottom