Connecticut!

Hi Everyone!

I hear we are in for another cold spell-

My chickens did ok through the last one- but I was thinking of that camping trick, where you heat up a rock in a fire and then it stays warm for a few hours-

Would there be a reason not to do this, put a heated rock in the coop at night to warm things up just a bit? I would only do it if we had really low temps over many nights, as they do seem to be ok in the cold (only one night did I see them huddled together)

Thanks!

Susan

Hi Everyone!

I hear we are in for another cold spell-

My chickens did ok through the last one- but I was thinking of that camping trick, where you heat up a rock in a fire and then it stays warm for a few hours-

Would there be a reason not to do this, put a heated rock in the coop at night to warm things up just a bit? I would only do it if we had really low temps over many nights, as they do seem to be ok in the cold (only one night did I see them huddled together)

Thanks!

Susan
One of our girls was attacked by a hawk this weekend
sad.png

Thank goodness we were both home (DH was outside in opposite part of yard)
Lots of feathers on the ground... a good portion of left wing feathers pulled out... the hawk sliced behind her head, no skin missing just sliced ~ using Vetericyn. She layed an egg 2 days later, and is staying happily in the coop & run where it's nice and safe. She's a strong bird and surely put up a fight until we could disrupt (within seconds thankfully) ........... we're all shaken up about it.
A chunnel is in the plans for around our yard now! (*Chicken tunnel*) lots of l good ideas on the internet, just need the materials. Wish us luck.
smile.png

I'm right on the edge in simsbury either way you can't rely on the forecast we got acouple inches Saturday and norfolk got 10" and it was supposed to be a dusting.
Wow. No you can't relying the forecast :-/
I got some clear tarps from mytarp.com after the last arctic blast (after my fav rooster got frostbite), and I put them up around my coop-runs so they're nice and sheltered from the snow and wind now, not to mention their food won't get soggy anymore. Field test tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom