Connecticut!

I have bantam Ameraucanas for breeding and showing. I live in North Stonington. You can find other Ameraucana breeders in the area by checking out the breeder listings on www.ameraucana.org or www.ameraucanaalliance.org.
Thank you for the information. I have contacted people on the breeder listings several times and never got a reply. I will have to try the ameraucana alliance.

Yeah, it is frustrating that people are still calling EEs Ameraucanas. There are a few Ameraucana breeders in CT though. Syman Says Farm in Salem, CT has Lavender Ameraucanas.
love.gif
I was at tractor supply today and checked out an article in Hobby Farm magazine "Eight Hot Chicken Breeds, Get them while they're hot" Ameraucanas were #1, but wouldn't you know they had a full page picture of and Easter Egger to go with it. Argg

Hey all! I'm getting my chick shipment around 4/11 so all is good on that front. Tractor Supply in my area has had a very sad assortment this year so I went with a rare chick assortment from Meyers.
We are currently looking for 2 pygmy or other mini type goats. If anyone knows of a place please send me in their direction!
Chickens are the gateway animal.

Thank you for the information. I have contacted people on the breeder listings several times and never got a reply. I will have to try the ameraucana alliance.
I had the same experience last year. Granted, I was looking for birds in May so it was a bit late but there were many that didn't even bother to respond. Don't give up, though. Instead of email, try the Forums on both clubs' webpages. People are pretty responsive there and it's a good place to network to find birds. You don't even have to be a member to post, I believe.

I was at tractor supply today and checked out an article in Hobby Farm magazine "Eight Hot Chicken Breeds, Get them while they're hot" Ameraucanas were #1, but wouldn't you know they had a full page picture of and Easter Egger to go with it. Argg
YAY to them being a "Hot Chicken" but ARRRRRRRRRGH to the Easter Egger pic! We have someone in the ABC (and AA) who contacted Tractor Supply and was able to get them to change the labeling on their "Americana" chicks to Easter Eggers. It's all about education but it's super frustrating when people assume the information they are getting is accurate. But it does work when you look at the number of people who post here and to Facebook that they thought they were buying Ameraucanas but have now learned they were Easter Eggers. At least it isn't usually a painful lesson since Easter Eggers themselves are very cool birds!

I had the same experience last year. Granted, I was looking for birds in May so it was a bit late but there were many that didn't even bother to respond. Don't give up, though. Instead of email, try the Forums on both clubs' webpages. People are pretty responsive there and it's a good place to network to find birds. You don't even have to be a member to post, I believe.
Thanks for the suggestions I will have to try the forums. I assumed the breeder listings were out of date. It shouldn't matter what time of year it is. Sometimes you just want to make contact so you can plan ahead. It was a nice thought that there was a listing of local breeders. I haven't had much luck with shipped eggs, from here or ebay.. Feels like hundreds of dollars down the drain. $80 for wheaten eggs that were supposed to be very blue = 1 rooster, Then 2 blue roosters from ebay. And those were my good results from six or seven attempts using broody hens, so cant blame it on the incubator. Now I make the effort to buy local. Though I saw some autosexing Easter Eggers on the sexlinked posts that would tempt me. I have had the eggs held at the post office. If I try it again I will let the eggs rest longer before placing them under the hens to see if that makes a difference.

YAY to them being a "Hot Chicken" but ARRRRRRRRRGH to the Easter Egger pic! We have someone in the ABC (and AA) who contacted Tractor Supply and was able to get them to change the labeling on their "Americana" chicks to Easter Eggers. It's all about education but it's super frustrating when people assume the information they are getting is accurate. But it does work when you look at the number of people who post here and to Facebook that they thought they were buying Ameraucanas but have now learned they were Easter Eggers. At least it isn't usually a painful lesson since Easter Eggers themselves are very cool birds!
I agree it is all about educating people when you can. As you said most people don't mind having Easter Eggers unless it is to show them, or if they wanted to hatch their own eggs. I contacted the magazine we will see how they respond. The real work is to change how the hatcheries and backyard breeders / re-sellers list them and Oh yeah the publications that present articles written by professionals who are supposed to be fact checking their articles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions I will have to try the forums. I assumed the breeder listings were out of date. It shouldn't matter what time of year it is. Sometimes you just want to make contact so you can plan ahead. It was a nice thought that there was a listing of local breeders. I haven't had much luck with shipped eggs, from here or ebay..
I know that the secretaries of both Ameraucana clubs keep the listings very current but maybe some of the listers don't keep the secretaries current! But, yes, try the forums on the clubs' webpages or their Facebook pages and good luck.

I think it's a GREAT IDEA to have folks on this forum list what breeds they have available - either as hatching eggs, chicks, started or older birds. There are some Facebook pages for Connecticut poultry sales but it doesn't hurt to cover all the online resources! I don't mind starting...

Bantam Ameraucanas in silver, black, lavender/self-blue (still a project color) and chocolate (also a project color)
Hatching eggs through adult birds
Pet through breeder quality
North Stonington

Back
Top Bottom