Connecticut!

Quote:
Hi Jen!
frow.gif
My son and his family live in Bethel. Nice town!
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks Beth G and New Chicks 203! I'm sure I'll need lots of advice
smile.png
Starting with-what are your recommendations for chicks? I just want a few-5 or so-mainly for pets. I guess friendliness is first (my 8yo and 3yo kids are good with animals), then hardiness (don't need anything else in this house that needs too much TLC) and then egg laying capacity... nothing terribly noisy would be great too. I was reading several threads on breed recommendations, and it seemed like an awful lot of breeds would meet my qualifications! So then I guess it comes down to looks... What do you guys think? Hubby is going to build a chicken tractor style coop as soon as I settle on a plan I like...
-Jen
Getting chicks soon, husband is resigned to adding to the brood-8yo son, 3 yo daughter, lab mix, 2 cats, a tank full of fish, and a gecko.

Welcome, Jen

for your first five chicks, I recommend Easter Eggers. They are friendly, gentle birds.. not too big or too loud.. that lay a green or blue-green egg. Your kids might find that fun.

For your next five chicks, you might find Orpingtons to also be very gentle and friendly.

I'm rather fond of my Welsummers, too, that lay a dark terra cotta egg, so you'll need a few of those around.

Now, your 8 yr old is old enough to join 4H and show birds, but will need a smaller, banty hen for showmanship. Silkies and Old English Game Birds are very popular for 4H.

You DO realize that there is a disease called Chicken Math, don't you? You've already been exposed to it and are sure to come down with symptoms soon, if you haven't already.

I recommend that whatever "design" of coop you choose, that you make it "bigger."

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
OOh, need to check that out! Thanks.

No problem! They said they'd be getting more in later in the week.

How are you set for roos these days? I've got one black and one blue Ameraucana (free to good home in East Granby!). They'd make some lovely olive eggers over your Marans...
big_smile.png

Umm, East Granby currently has a serious over population of roos problem. The current tally: 2 wheaten ameraucana, 3 wheaten marans, 3 cuckoo marans, a lavender ameraucana (possibly 2), 1 mixed gigantasaur chicken = 10 (- 1 Beth has gracioulsy offer to take). OK, I'll take your 2 if you take my 9.
lol.png

Oh, and 7 one week old icelandics .... with my luck they will all turn out to be boys too! Good grief.

I've got a bad case of 'animal math' in general. Problem is, I also have this thing called a husband... who puts the brakes on my acquisitions. Otherwise I'd end up on some sort of animal hoarders show! I definetely like the idea of some easter eggers-they'll absolutely get a thrill from the colored eggs-but need to mix it up a bit
smile.png
While I MAY be able to talk him around to expanding the flock after a bit, I don't want to keep all of my eggs in that basket, so to speak! I had some sort of fluffy grey hen, very sturdy, with 'pantaloons' as a kid...she was a great bird, no idea what she was though... and a buff barred something or other too. Unfortunately the only chicken we have who's breed I remember was the Polish top hat rooster who was nasty nasty and ended up as soup!!

Quote:

How are you set for roos these days? I've got one black and one blue Ameraucana (free to good home in East Granby!). They'd make some lovely olive eggers over your Marans...
big_smile.png

Umm, East Granby currently has a serious over population of roos problem. The current tally: 2 wheaten ameraucana, 3 wheaten marans, 3 cuckoo marans, a lavender ameraucana (possibly 2), 1 mixed gigantasaur chicken = 10 (- 1 Beth has gracioulsy offer to take). OK, I'll take your 2 if you take my 9.
lol.png

Oh, and 7 one week old icelandics .... with my luck they will all turn out to be boys too! Good grief.

yuckyuck.gif

I hope your new ones aren't all roo's!!

I will take the one roo soon promise
wink.png

Quote:

big_smile.png

lol.png

Oh. MY. I think it may be time to step awaaaaaaay from the 'bator!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom