Considering Spring Additions. Need some recommendations!

I love my speckled sussex. I do have hatching eggs if you like to incubate...

Here Lazarus with his ladies:

8875_sussex.jpg

I had Buckeyes, and they were GORGEOUS, but very aggressive towards me and the hens. I also had a Rhode Island Red rooster, and he was fairly well tempered, and pretty as well. Now, we have a Barnevelder (sp?), and he is very pretty and relatively nice to me and the girls. With my little experience, I would say that handling as chicks makes a HUGE difference.
smile.png

I have a lovely BO rooster, but he's only lovely to me. He chases my kids! Luckily my kids can outrun him. He will also peck my husband, and if I'm wearing sneakers, he tries to tear out the laces.

He is beautiful, though, and a really great defender of the flock. If a hen won't come in at night, I'll just send Jimmy out, and he'll go find her.

Quote:
We have 2 coops and 2 runs . One side we have the barred rocks , black Austrolorps , and barred rocks ... We have 1 ROOSTER that controls that one side and he is CALLED BIG RED >>>>> naturally you can guess he is a Rhode Island Red and he does a fantasic job controlling and directing this flock ...

The other coop and pen are strickly for Buff Orpingtons and we have 1 BUFF ROOS , which he is great with this flock as well .

Quote:
I would agree totally!!! Man they are mean! I have BO roos and they are even nice to each other. Calm. I also have a buff cochin roo who is so sweet.

Do you want a roo with lots of color to him? You could go with an Ameraucana...Mine is still a cockrel, but he is quite personable and actually funny to watch

good luck
christina

Quote:
We haven't had that problem at all, our rir's will eat out of your hand and let you pick them up.

Steve in NC

I agree ... My RIR is very gentle and I trust him to protect our flock . and He is over a year old . Could never pick a better rooster

Last edited:
If I could get the nice personality and the pretty color from one breed I would be happy. If we got a mean roo we'd just replace him.

I'm still hemming and hawing about the other hens I might want.

Back
Top Bottom