Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. sapphireblu76

sapphireblu76 Chirping

Feb 28, 2012
    My first setting of eggs should be hatching Monday, the second on Wednesday. I keep going in my room and staring at them as if they could hatch at any moment, lol. Humidity and temp are good, plugs open, egg turner removed, damp wash cloths under the grate...c'mon and hatch already!!! [​IMG]

2. sapphireblu76

sapphireblu76 Chirping

Feb 28, 2012
    [​IMG]Favorite photo for today :)

3. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Songster

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Sapphire-Wow! Nice picture!

Pikeman-If your hat is off to me, then I MUST be crazy because that is one crazy hat!

David-Glad you got your leaks fixed (hopefully!)

Tweety-Sounds like your are on a diabetic roller coaster right now. Sure hope they get him regulated soon.

Bama-I will pick up extras if they have any. I know of one person that cancelled, but I have no idea if those pullets have been spoken for.

Nana2KJS-Give Checoukan a PM. I'm sure she would work something out for you.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Did you ever check out those cages that I posted a link to you a day or so ago? They look a lot like Ivy's and are a super good deal by the looks of them. If I remember the picture right, there are 12-14 cages stacked in a set up just like the ones Ivy just bought - I thought you might be able to use them for your rabbits.

Your mowing adventures sound like mine. After that rain a few weeks ago, the grass at our new place started growing like crazy but we can only get out there on weekends, and with DS's baseball, usually only one day of each weekend. So a few weeks ago I went out to mow, but got there to find I'd left the key to the shop behind. The mower is in the shop so I couldn't get in and get the mower out. Grrr. The next weekend I made sure to take the key, but when I looked in the tanks, realized I wasn't going to get much done because it was almost out of gas and my gas can was back at the other house. Last weekend, I remembered key and gas can, but was not able to get out there until the Sunday, right after the storms and the grass was way too wet to attempt mowing. By then, it was 18" high and looked dreadful. I filled the tanks so it would be ready to go whenever the grass dried out. Wednesday I left work and decided to drive out and spend the afternoon mowing since I didn't have anything on right after work. I got there to find......it was freshly mowed. I think I have a really great neighbor there at the new place. I took them an 18-count of eggs a couple of weeks ago but this is way over the top (there's about 3-acres that they mowed so its a BIG job). Methinks I owe them a bunch more eggs!!!

Ivy - have a safe trip and hope the birds travel well!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Songster

So sorry to hear that your DH is having more troubles. I sure hope it gets regulated soon. :( Congratulations on your son graduating from HS! Is he going to go to KU? Since it's right there...

Hey, I learned something about sexlinks, too. Had no idea that is how it worked! Sounds like your mama bunny is happy with her new box. That stinks that you can't get your new mower to work! I would say maybe vapor lock, but it's not been hot enough. Then I'd say maybe you flooded it ... but it should have started an hour later or so if that were the case. Very furstrated, I hope you can get it figured out! Our mower is now getting older, it still seems new to me, though. I think we got it about 4 years ago now-- I love it. It cuts my mowing time in half. I used to use one of those lawn tractors that took forever to mow with. Interesting about the Hovabator not holding the humidity as well as the Brinsea, I'm sure glad I have this Brinsea. Now that I got it adjusted-- there isn't much to go wrong with it.

Glad that you got it figured out! That's great! Post some pics and see what you did!

Yeah, that is crazy he needs to gain weight now, WOW. We rarely drink soda here, and we never order it when we eat out. We do have soda in the house from time to time, but we mainly try to eat as healthy as possible. I won't drink the diet drinks at all, I still don't like the idea of some of the more popular sugar substitutes and how damaging they can potentially be. We are careful about what milk we drink and always buy organic meat (hormone free). I rarely cook with red meats and we eat a lot of chicken and turkey-- and never with their skins. No potato chips, cookies, sweets.. The kids love their veggies and I try my best to make sure we eat low fat and healthy. Maybe you could pick up a diabetic cook book at Barnes and Noble or find one online that might help you think of different ways to cook that will make it easier to keep his sugar levels more stable. We have a "Food For Thought" (natural and whole foods grocery) here in Wichita, and i buy a lot of stuff that my grocery store doesn't have there.

6. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Songster

YAY!! Post pics when they hatch! Oooh, so exciting!!!

WOW, this is an incredible picture!! Great capture!

That was sooo nice of your new neighbors to do that. Looks like you all should be getting along if they are thoughtful enough to do that. That was sweet of you all to bring out eggs for them, too. Crazy about your mower debacles before that, though. LOL!

7. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Songster

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Bama-I have 6 pullets coming that will be yours if you want. They are the white KSU pullets. Let me know. I believe they were $6 each, but I don't know if they are going to charge tax or what, so I will let you know when I get back.

8. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Songster

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area

Ivy, I just got caught up on all my reading and those are awesome cages, sure sorry you got beaned, but gosh you made it sound so funny I couldn't help laughing. [​IMG] At least you made it home with the goods. Just so you know, I would have easily taken a concussion for those 2 calf hutches for $225, but all I wound up with was a pain in the butt! [​IMG] It's tough being certifiable chicken ladies.

Pikeman, put your hat back on, we won't recognize you without it! [​IMG]

Hawkeye, your poor parents. To find you unconscious and then off you go to participate in a rodeo, I bet your parents were going "Oh NO she didn't"!

Trish44, now I get it! These types of dry runs are just part of the whole OWC, Obsessed With Chickens, syndrome!

HEChicken, your mowing fiasco sounds like something that I thought only happened to me. My sympathies but what a wonderful neighbor. I hate to mention this but that black and white EE looks more "pullet" all the time. I thought the black and white ones were always cockerels but there's just no way that bird is a cockerel. Your other cockerel is doing great and such a pretty bird. I'll take a pic today so you can admire him!

Sapphireblu, that photo is just stunning. Thanks for sharing the pics. More, more! [​IMG]

Tweety, glad you and DH are hanging in there. Hope it all smooths out soon, that's just scary. [​IMG]

Praying for Verna today, for those of us who've lost our Moms, I know you're reliving your "day" just like I am. My sympathies for us all.

9. Trish44

Trish44 Songster

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    SusanS, yeah now you got it! You know you're obsessed with chickens when everything you look at you're thinking of what you could use it for with the chickens! I'm not the only one that uses dog houses for their chickens either.

IVY, well if you're crazy that makes all of the rest of us right up there with you. Have a good trip picking up the pullets.

tweety, it's too bad you can't get into the Diabetic class sooner, but it will be helpful when you do. It's pretty comprehensive I understand from what I've heard.

Sapphire, let us know how your hatch goes, it's so exciting for the first one, it's truly amazing how those little things even get out of their shells. After you see how they're all curled up in there you wonder how they manage to get arranged so they can peck their way out. Be sure to post pics after some hatch, we always like to see new chick photos! I love your duck photo by the way.

Hawkeye, Well I felt really stupid after my DH got home last night & went out to check on the mower. We haven't had this mower long enough & used it enough since we got it since it was the end of the summer last year for me to get used to how everything works. Apparently I had the mower blades engaged & it won't run with that lever pulled, geez, I'll get used to this thing eventually. It's totally different than the lawn tractor we had before. I'm going out to mow now.

10. sapphireblu76

sapphireblu76 Chirping

Feb 28, 2012
    Thanks for all the compliments, I love that picture. It was such a lucky shot.

I swear I hear cheeps coming from the eggs and thought I saw one wiggle a little. It's so hard to tell with all the background noise (kids, dog, tv, chicks in the other room). I don't see any pips yet, but maybe some have pipped the air sac.

I must admit, I am envious of your cage find, Ivy! Even if I did find something that awesome, I wouldn't have a way to get it home...I need to invest in a trailer, I guess. I rarely find anything neat in a price range I can afford anyway, lol.

Verna, big hug to you, lady.

Off to work on the pen and coop some more today...geeze, will these things EVER get done *sigh*
    [​IMG]My little white Cochin. What do you think? Is she a Cleo, Daphne, Priscilla?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by