Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I knew she wasn't going to be able to keep up with the momma and the other 13 babies, so Chrissy was the obvious choice! Also, 3 varying shades of blue were hard to come by in the mix, so the fact that she was in the middle was good.

Glad to see you! Hope you feel better soon!

Hi, Chris! Welcome to your new addiction!

Check her booty and crest for mites. I agree about decreasing the BOSS, but mucky bums can be a result of mites.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Queenbigears, I think you have a Mille Fleur d'Uccle there.

3. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    Danz, you made me smile. My mom did that too, Only she stashed little bits of money all over the place. In sewing machines, antique cabinet, everywhere! She also saved buttons, zippers, elastic. They were all neatly organized but the depression era never completely left her.

I wish I knew what the sneezing is about. Only the one cockerel has it so far -- should I separate him? Everyone else seems just fine. I forgot to mention the probiotics in the water, which I do have. None of them have loose stools. All the birds downstairs seem fine, although the bantams just kind of hide out and I don't have much contact with them. I think I should check them out. I think I only have one Buffy left but she's a nice sized bird -- I just don't need her. I'm going to count how many pullets I have left of the SSX later today. It seems like the SSX may be carriers of something, though, that gets them when stressed. What do you think? I'm just really puzzled by these birds.

HEChicken, I just put a few drops in the water and it just sits on top and then they accidentally get it on their beaks. I don't go to all that trouble and they don't get it on their beaks everytime so they continue to drink. After so much beak action in the water it breaks down into smaller droplets and by that time they don't seem to mind it.

Pikeman, glad you're feeling better but pace yourself. There's just nothing more aggravating than having a set back. IMHO! I haven't forgotten your SSX. How is your SSX doing by now and your other birds? I sure don't want to spread any illness.

Ivy, great suggestion!

Teresa, hope your car is looking like new today!

I wonder if the fox/coyotes can hear the pulsing of the electric fence? I heard them ever so briefly last evening but from the moment I turned on the fence not a single thing. The pulse is audible to me but they must have excellent hearing if they could hear it from 10 acres over. Things that make you go hum.

Here are some pics of my Alohas -- cross posted.

My favorite

[​IMG]

And look at this 4 week old's red comb!

[​IMG]

I have several similar to this one.

[​IMG]

Can't wait to see how they feather out!

(Here's your old towels again, Hawkeye!) [​IMG] Mine are still around because I couldn't bear to use them for a whole year. Didn't want them destroyed as quickly as the last batch. You should have seen the raggedy towels we were using while I hoarded the new ones. Silly, wasn't it? Sometimes I just get so weary of the kids tearing up everything even though they really aren't terribly destructive. Kids are just kids. I protected these towels with my life and while some of them are done I still have quite a few that are still really nice. Especially the beach towel size. Sigh. I'll let them use them this year. I enjoyed you while you lasted towels but I'm afraid this summer is your last hurrah! The wrecking crew is gonna get ya!

4. BamaProud

BamaProud Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011

Ivy, got something I'm going to bring you that should help out making your brooder and cages.

5. BamaProud

BamaProud Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Danz,Glad to see you back on here. We are still thinking about you and wishing you the best.

Welcome to all the new faces on here.Enjoy your visits and post often!

Pikeman,glad everything worked out good.Take it easy and try not to do too much before you heal.

6. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Bama-Now you've got me wondering!!!! Cool! I love surprises![​IMG]

Karen-Hoarding towels? Are you sure you don't have a little of your Mother's depression era in you????[​IMG]

7. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    Karen I tend to do that to a small extent. But I get worried if I have much cash around so it goes elsewhere rather quickly. I try to keep enough to make change if I need it. comes form years of being a broke single Mom.
    I think the Sussex are more susceptible to being ill like you said. I think there is a virus they have contracted. I would clean their quarters well and separate any that are sneezing. Vet RX seems to help along with some probiotics. I just ddrop the vet Rx in their nostrils rather than mix it. And i squirt some in their water. They don't like it much but drink it regardless. It kind of floats on the water so they pick up a little any time they drink. I have a guy coming by this weekend to buy chicks. I might be able to sell him all I have if I price them low enough. DH says I am not paying for the feed I put in them but I need room and it would be great to start over with nothing but a few polish and some Seramas.
    I have a ton of chicks hatching right now. So the numbers will go up between now and then anyway.
    Tomorrow I am finally going to get my turkey eggs. I'm trading a load of pheasant eggs for them. I haven't hatched any pheasant yet myself but have a few in the bator. I will have all summer to hatch more melanistics so I don't mind waiting.
    I am so excited. I will be Mama hen-ing over that incubator.

8. pikeman94

pikeman94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    My Coop
    Karen,

Saffron (SSX) is doing really well and gaining weight. She is getting along well with the other two pullets. I will get a pic soon.

It is frustrating being laid up. I so want to get out and get things done. My gut however is making the decisions right now.

I will see how expanding my coop works out as well.

9. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    [​IMG]Good one! Only the kind of depression era that can occasionally accompany being mom to 8 kids! The kids do the weirdest things with perfectly lovely towels, i.e., remove nail polish, makeup, leave them out in the mud after using them for capes or tents, cleaning their bicycles, skates, muddy shoes and some of that I don't even want to know what it is. It isn't that they do it often, there's just enough of them that doing weird things at a normal child's rate adds up to a whole lot of ruined towels in a hurry! I just wanted the rare privilege of gazing at them in their pristine state. [​IMG] Trust me, I currently have no pristine, hoarded towels. I have semi-pristine beach towels left but that's all. Isn't that pathetic? I do enjoy the kids and being a kid with them, but there are times when all I can think is WTH NOW and Y?

Kids aren't really on a mission to destroy, break, stain and tear asunder, are they? I mean, as a kid I do not recall ever feeling it was my duty to destroy things and yet, I do recall my mother saying "..you are the most exasperating child"! As she surveyed the wreckage of my bedroom. Thinking back on said bedroom, I get it, I really do. The place was ransacked and all I could think of was how in the world am I supposed to play without making a mess? I didn't seem to notice the knobs off my dresser, the cracked mirror above the girly-girl vanity, the miscellaneous etchings in my closet doors. Once, I distinctly remember washing my hands with a perfectly white bar of Ivory soap and leaving it varying shades of grey with grey droplets all over the sink after a successful mud pie making session/turned into dirt clod fight with my brothers. I don't even recall what happened to the towel I used but it couldn't have been pretty. I'm pretty sure I wasn't on a mission but I bet my mom didn't see it that way!

Now, all I crave are sparkling clean towels. My how we change!

10. sapphireblu76

sapphireblu76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    [​IMG]One of my eggs has pipped!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by