Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I never hear fox here. Probably because we have a den of coyotes in my tree line. I'll let you know if I'm going to get rid of it! I'm still back and forth on it. The one foot has the two inner toes fused a bit, and I'm going to double check to see if those can still make good breeders. If not, I'll be getting rid of it. :)

YAY on having your coop ready to go! I'm pretty sure a hawk attacked Seymore a few weeks back. I would think they'd take off with a LF chicken. I mentioned Chicken Annies, and yeah, it's still there and one of my favorite places to eat! They have 3 of them, one is in Girard and the other two are in Pittsburg-- one along the highway and the other off in the sticks-- the Original. One time I was down there, they were selling these really cute Chicken Annie's t-shirts and I bought one, it has their motto on it "Something to Crow About" with the rooster on it and then on the back it says "Peace, Love and Chicken Grease". It's really funny/cute! I got it in a bright pink color, they have them in lots of colors. When we went back just a while ago, my brother and mom ended up getting one too, after they saw mine they were soooo jealous! LOL

OMGosh!!! There was a KID in the box! That just made me sick, too. And the thing is, people think nothing of going so darned fast or running over crap in the road. I live on a dead-end road and this morning there was a great big bird in the road that had been hit. Most of the people that live down here, they don't drive fast. I go 20mph, and i know it irritates the younger kids driving our road, but I don't care. Anyway, most of our speeders are people that come flying down here not realizing we are a dead end, or visitors to homes here. Makes me so mad when they speed, because my kids do ride their bikes in the road, I ride my horses in the road, and often neighbor dogs are laying in the road. This is usually a very quiet and small community down here, so it really ticks me off when people speed.

Oh wow!! LOL I might be tempted to use it except that my girl is already a rolly poly and it has a LOT of protein in it.

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

To post those pictures here on the threads-- go to your pictures, Right click "Copy" and then in the editor where you write, do a control V to Paste. I keep two tabs open on my browser so I can copy/paste pictures without having to shut tabs down. Easy to go back and forth.

You can paste the thumb nails in here or the full sized pictures. It depends on if you are looking at your smaller thumbnail pictures-- if you want to post the larger picture, click on that picture and it will bring it up full size. Then just right click on the image and Copy.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  3. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Welcome to all the newbies![​IMG] Feel free to jump in and post pictures, ask questions or just "talk" any time. There's lots of good advice and friendly people here. The whole BYC site is s jackpot of information for chicken lover.

Speaking of loving chicken, I drive by The Chicken Annie's sign every time I go down to visit Checoukan. We have never stopped. I guess I'm going to have to plan it some time so that we either meet her there or pull over and eat there ourselves. I've always wanted to, but just never have.

It's going to be a busy day. I've got chicks hatching like popcorn in the basement and chicks that need to go into a bigger brooder. I'm hoping to get a spot cleaned out in the barn to set at least one of my new cage units and with any luck maybe the other one, too. Before that comedy starts, however, I need to build a bigger brooder. I think I will drag my old round stock tank over to the shop and start with that. I already have a lid for it. I used it last year. I just hate cleaning the thing out. After that I located two pieces of plywood 8' long and 16-18" wide. I'm going to use that to make a 4'square brooder. I just need to scrounge/salvage/recycle/repurpose something for the cover on the 4'square one. DH has decided to take over the brooder I recently built that is up on legs. That is okay with me. Those little quail are SO cute.

At least it is supposed to be a little cooler today. That will be good. It was pretty hot yesterday, and what little I was able to be out I was sweating like a horse. I guess I'm just not quite ready for the REAL summer weather.

Have a great day, everyone!

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Yea, that's what I got for them - It's really tiny, but you are right - compared to the size of the birdies - I can see how a regular waterer would still be huge for them!! I played mama chicken last night and would tap the ground for them to peck at food, then tap the water and they'd all run over and start drinking. We went back and forth like this a few times. It's too cute!!

5. queenbigears

queenbigears Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    oh ok thanks. Here are some of my babies then. :)

[​IMG]Ashe - Jersey Giant Roo

[​IMG]Bones - Ameracauna

[​IMG]Flash - Ameracauna

[​IMG]Amelia and Aretha - Barred Rocks

[​IMG]Little Nugget. No idea what kind of Bantam this is.

[​IMG]Bernadette "Miss Queen Chicken" - White crested black with the Wyandotte ladies

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Queenbigears, I don't believe I issued you a [​IMG]

Cute chicks! I'm guessing...2 weeks old?

7. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    queenbigears, cute chicks!

Well the new chicks are doing great so far in the new brooder. I've got it fixed so I can adjust the heat lamp up higher & yesterday they sure didn't need much heat at all. The chicks in the other brooder are bigger & they didn't want any heat yesterday. Hopefully most of them will be going to their new home tomorrow when I make my chicken run. This week has been pretty crazy & it's not going to get any better until the weekend, I have had somewhere I had to go almost every day. Today we have to make another trip back to Wichita to pick up my car at the shop. It seems that they didn't have to do such an extensive paint job after all. I just want it to look new like it's supposed to.

Everyone have a wonderful day! I'll get some pics on here later, no time now.

8. queenbigears

Mar 31, 2012
    My Roo and two Ameracaunas are 5 weeks today and the wyandottes are 4 and 3 weeks, the Barred Rocks are also almost 4 weeks, As for nugget he/she is just at the 2 week mark as are the other two Banty's. My Polish are 4 weeks as well. These pics were taken last week it's amazing how fast time flies in Chicken days.

9. queenbigears

Mar 31, 2012

They are taking their sweet time getting feathered that's for sure. They all look like awkward teenagers.

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Hawkeye, I just realized I should point out that the Ultrakibble is not intended to be used as the sole diet, but more of a supplement. Renee has a formula she gets mixed up at her feed mill that incorporates lots of things including the ultrakibble into a balanced feed for them. The package gave a suggestion as to how many ounces per bird they should be getting daily and it was not a very high number (just as well since at $6 for a small bag, it would be pretty expensive to feed it exclusively). I agree that if your hen is currently a little roly poly, she probably doesn't need such a high protein content though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by