Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    Welcome all you new people! Just join in and tell us about yourself and your birds and anything you like. Hawkeye I would have guessed your silkie needed wormed until you said she was gaining weight. You have me stumped. Does she have a lot of fluid in her body or is it fat?
    Have you been giving her lots of fresh veggies or something to change her diet?

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

No, I'm pretty sure it's fat. She just feels heavier and more sturdy. I know I've been giving her practically unlimited BOSS... and now I'm starting to wonder if it's too much. But perhaps I should worm her anyway! I have Wazine, is that okay, or do I need something better?? I have not wormed them since I got them. What would fluid in her body feel like? She feels really solid. I haven't been giving her much greens, and now I'm starting to worry that maybe she needs more greens and less BOSS? I can give her more grass? Anything else??

ETA-- I was giving her the BOSS to try to make her look pretty for the upcoming shows. Could I have over done it??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Yes, you may be giving her too much BOSS. Cut it back or stop it all together for a while. If she is getting a good layer crumble she shouldn't need the BOSS, but you can use it more like a "treat." Probably wouldn't hurt to worm her and then some probiotics after that.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Now they are just adorable! I can't wait to hear the anecdotes about them and see the photos as they get older. You're so much better about documenting with photos than I am!

[​IMG] Tell us more about how you found us - what kind of poultry to you have/plan to have?
    Glad to see you back - hope your recovery continues to go well.

Honestly, if she's laying and otherwise acting normal, I wouldn't worry too much. Laying is usually the first thing to stop when anything is amiss so if she is still laying, I doubt there is too much wrong. TSC now carries Ultra Kibble and one thing I've heard about that for a long time is that it firms up the poo, so you might give that a try? I bought some a few weeks back but I haven't been consistent enough about using it to notice a difference, since I am just supplementing their layer pellets with a handful or two of Ultra Kibble when I think about it - NOT the optimum way to use it.

5. Hawkeye95

Okay, thank you ladies! I don't think I'll mention (and embarass myself) and tell you how much BOSS I've been giving her. I'll worm her and cut the BOSS out entirely and then go back to the probiotics for a while and hope for a change in her poop. Sigh. I sure didn't think I was causing this. Wish I'd thought of that before. And the weight gain... geez, I bet that is part of the problem too. She is a little meat ball.

6. queenbigears

queenbigears Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Thanks for the welcomes. How do I become a part of the FB group? I am 30 miles west of.Pittsburg. My chicks are growing like weeds. Our roo is Ashe, 2 Ameracaunas are Bones, & Flash. Our BR ladies are Amelia, and Aretha. Our Wyandottes are Betty, Veronica, & mumble. Our white crested black is Bernadette, and our golden crested is Sweetness. Our Bantys are Nugget, Popcorn, and Omlette. We got two more today. I will get pics up soon. Anxious to.show off my babies.

7. Hawkeye95

Yeah, she doesn't seem sick. She seems.... FAT. [​IMG]
    What is this kibble you speak of? Is this for dogs?? Do you think it might make her fatter? I think I might have over dosed her on BOSS. She could stand to lose a pound... or two. My roo is twice her size and he is half her weight now.

8. Hawkeye95

http://www.facebook.com/groups/275183675880038/

Right here! I think you might have to "join" or something, but it's easy. :) I'm from the Girard area. Every time we go down to visit family, I HAVE to have Chicken Annies. I LOVE your names, so cute!! Definitely show us pictures! Go to your Profile at the top of the page and click on it, scroll to the bottom and there is an Upload button to click on, it's really easy. :)

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The word "kibble" in it sure makes it sound like its for dogs but it is actually made for poultry. Here is a link to some information about it:
    http://www.wildbirdsuets.com/foragecakes/kibble.htm

10. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    [​IMG]

Hi, I'm from 45 miles south east of you near Emporia. Tell us about your flock or plans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by