Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    I wore myself out today. I went in and took all the chicks out of the brooder house and put them in bins. Then I took down the panel fronts in the brooder house and shoveled all the old shavings and stuff out of all the pens. Then I vacuumed up what I could. Next I used the hose and washed down the entire inside. Then came the water with the disinfectant and deodorizer in it. I spread that around and scrubbed with a broom. Then I rinsed and vacuumed up the water. I had 4 bag trash barrels full of shavings I wrestled onto a two wheeler and then dumped where my garden is supposed to go. I lost 2 chicks any way. Some of the smallest ones got in their waterer and got either drowned or chilled. I have a handful more that got wet and they are in the hatcher warming up. Then I lost one of my meaties. I have no idea why unless the other chicks trampled her in the bin. She was one of the smaller ones.
    I got the waterers and the bases all scrubbed and the feeders clean. The place should be clean and disease free. It's really hard to find an opportunity when I can move the chicks out and do a thorough cleaning like that. The chick dust was so heavy in there it couldn't have been real healthy for them.
    All that shoveling and stuff did a number on my back. I have a bunch of new chicks to move in there tomorrow and I know they will have a nice clean place to go.
    I'm thinking of selling all of my silkies. I only got them because everyone was asking for them. They aren't very impressive ones. All I have is blacks. It's just one more pen to feed and water. I may have 7 or so of them. I'm not even sure. Anyone interested let me know. I won't ask much for them cause they sure aren't show stock.

2. Kramer Farms

Kramer Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    K & L Exotic Bird and Animal Auction

Yates Center, Kansas

May 5th and 6th

Saturday, May 5th
    Check-in times: Hooved Animals from 7:00 am - 11:00 am. Poultry 7:00 am - 5:00pm.

Sale Starts at noon: new tack
    Animals will start at 1:00 pm -- small mammals( pot belly pigs, muntjac deer, cavies, wallabies, swans, etc.), mini cattle, Exotics ( camels, zebra, deer, antelope), mini horses and donkeys, llamas and alpacas, sheep and goats.

Poultry will be priced as it comes in and can be bought once it is checked in.

Sunday, May 6th
    Check-in: Poultry 7:00 am - 9:00 am
    House birds 7:00 am - 10:00 am

Sale Starts 9:00 am Equipment followed by remaining poultry.

9:30 am House bird sale starts. Starting with equipment.

Admission $5 per person per day or $7 per person for two day pass.

For more information call Jim Kramer @ 620-423-0832
    or go to http://www.kramerlivestockfarm.com

3. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Tweety-If they are up and running around without problems generally you only need to leave it on for a couple days, as long as they are on a surface where they can get good traction. You might try taking it off and watching to see how she does. I'll bet she will be just fine, and if she starts to spraddle out you can always put it back on.

I'm so tired! I got a lot accomplished today and that feels good. Got another brooder set up, got one of my 6 unit pens set up, cleaned out the stall in the barn where we raised a jersey calf (phew.... that stunk!) and got chicks moved around as needed. 10 of the KSU pullets went to their new home, so the coop is not so crowded, plus several of the pullets have decided to roost outside under the coop. They will be safe there, even if it storms, but I sure hope they come out of there when I need to get ahold of them. It will be hard to fish them out otherwise.

Thanks Bama for the hardware! I never have enough hinges and handles! I know I will put some of them to use very soon.

4. Kramer Farms

Kramer Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    I will be in Yates Center May 4th through 6th. I am in search of a frizzled serama rooster and possibly a silkie serama rooster.

If you have one of these please e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Ivy, btw, thanks for that tip on the holey buckets. I don't have any right now but I've tucked it away for future use. I love to find new uses for things rather than throw them away!

6. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Sounds like everyone over did it today including me. I trimmed two horses feet, cleaned out my chick pen, banded the pullets and moved them in with the big girls, scrubbed everyones waterers, cleaned the goose/duck pen and a bunch of other things that I can't remember....

Lucie went off roading this afternoon!!! I can't believe how big she is getting, they grow up so fast!

[​IMG]

7. sapphireblu76

sapphireblu76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    LOL! Josie, I love the pic of Lucie!

One of my eggs has pipped, another one is still rocking now and then. The pipped egg chick has been working at it off and on for about 7 hours now. It's made some progress and the membrane inside (from what I can tell looking in thru the incubator window) is still good and moist, so I'm resisting the urge to help. This is my first hatch EVER so I'm trying to do it right. Hopefully in the morning, I will have a hatched chick.

8. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    sapphireblu- How exciting!! First hatch!! [​IMG]

9. sunshinegirl620

sunshinegirl620 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Danz, I'm in need of some silkie 'hens' as my batch turned out to be all roos... Don't know what you have.... I just want 'fresh' eggs![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  10. isis

isis Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010

Non chicken... but does anyone know what the zebras/hybrids go for? I've been looking for one but it's hard to find one that is reasonably tame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by