Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    The zebras seem to go pretty high but with the cost of feed being up so far anything close to a horse goes way cheeper these days. It will all depend on the crowd. Things either go for a ridiculous price or they go dirt cheap. You just never know.
    Sunshine girl 620, I'll send you a PM.

2. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    Speaking of the Yates Center auction I came so close to buying a mini horse last time. If I could find another one like the one I wanted at that price I would certainly do it. DH would totally kill me. But I think it would be so awesome for my little granddaughters. Those tiny horses are so cute! Can you run a horse with chickens safely?
    My truck cage for hauling animals is in use right now. I have my turkeys in it. I guess that could keep my from buying any thing.
    I need to get this hatcher emptied. Then I need to get ready to drive to Gardner to do an egg exchange this morning. Hopefully I'll be back home soon enough to get some work done around here.

3. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    It looks like everybody is pretty busy, me included. This morning I was awakened by a call from the CO-OP telling me the chicks were in, so as soon as I get around I will be going down to get Shana's, Candace's, & my chicks from there. Then I have to come back here & leave mine, pick up Keena's Ameraucanas, Shana's other chicks & head to Wichita to meet Shana & give her all of the chicks. I'll be glad to have a quiet weekend this weekend with my DH in OKC doing his marathon. Not that I don't have things to do around here, because I do, but at least I don't have a bunch of places to go.

Danz, it sounds like your day was productive yesterday, it always feels good after you get something like that done. I need to clean out one of my brooders after the chicks go today too.

IVY, we want to see pics when you get that pen set up, it sounds awesome.

Have a good day everyone & let's hope it doesn't rain too much!

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Josie! This is absolutely adorable! Did someone have to get a bath? LOL

How's the pipping going? Any new chicks this morning?????

5. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Josie-Lucie looks so cute and happy after her little mud bath. One of the things that amazes me about these dogs is they can come back looking like that and your first thought is that they will never be white again. The next day, there they are, all white and clean like someone scrubbed them. Great dogs.

If I do anything outside today, it's going to be IN the barn. That wind is so strong here right now it just about blows me right off my unstable feet.

Better got get some more chicks out of the hatcher and get ready to go to physical therapy.

6. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    Oh, I forgot to say also that I have a chick pipping in the bator & another peeping in the shell. These are my blue wheaten Ameraucanas I didn't think were going to hatch, so I guess you never can tell. They came all the way from California to hatch here in Kansas! So far there are just two showing signs of hatching soon, but I'll let you all know what happens. They're due to hatch today, but some could be later too. I'm so excited to see them!

7. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    Danz, or anyone that knows about donkeys. What is the general selling price for one and will they actually keep canine type critters out of the pasture they are in? I am at my wits end with the predators here. Fox are around and now, they are even in my pasture during the day. I don't know if one would actually kill a goose, but I don't want to take a chance, the geese are not getting the pasture time they should.

There are also coyotes around in huge numbers, but so far, I don't see them during the day so getting the birds shut up for the night protects them from the yotes. Still it is very unnerving to have the yotes set off their yips and howls right in my yard, and knowing that there are times they must be watching and as soon as I go in, they come on into the yard.

LGD's would be too big of a liability here with the neighbors.

8. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Stay Safe Tonight! Douglas County is in a tornado watch, so it wouldn't surprise me if other counties were as well!

9. isis

isis Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    I'm so hoping to get a Zebra... if I can justify it... lol.

A horse and any other animal getting along totally depends on the horse. I own 22 of them... I'd say about 1/4 of those will go after dogs, the others don't care. None bother cats except for ONE, who I witnessed grab one in his mouth and chuck it out of his stall (this horse has an odd personality... cat was fine btw). My horses overall are better with my pugs then they are my large dogs. In general, the smaller the animal the more careful they seem to be with it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  10. tntblake

tntblake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    I hope everyone has enjoyed the nice weather and got some things done! Welcome to all the new people! Join right in. We don't bite! We just had to shell out big bucks today to replace our air conditioner. I'm not very happy to have put that much money into a house that is for sale but what can ya do? I swear If we didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all. I hope all you with injuries are healing up well. Danz I'm still praying for you and your family. I hope you dad is doing ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by