Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sapphireblu76

sapphireblu76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    I have a couple of roos that look like this...is it possible they are Alohas? I got them in a batch of fryers.

3. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. Being laid up was the worst part for me! I felt perfectly find if I laid still, but as soon as I moved it was a different story.
    I know you'll feel much better once the surgery pain wears off!

4. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    pikeman, I'm glad you're on the road to recovery, you will be like new in no time!

KarenS, did I tell you those are some cute chicks! Congrats on the coop, it looks nice & roomy for now & the bunnies look happy. Did you make that rabbit hutch or buy it? I'm still needing more outside hutch room yet. I'm trying to figure out what to do about it. I may end up carrying inside cages out & just fixing up temporary shelter for the summer, we'll see.

Sapphire, congrats on the pipping egg! I have some in lockdown now that are due to hatch tomorrow, we'll see what happens because these are the eggs I got in the mail from California.

Well we went & got my car this morning & you can't even find the spot where they fixed it, it looks great, but then it should it's new.

Here is a pic of Shana's & my new chicks, sorry it's kind of tilted I was leaning into the brooder to try to get the photo:

[​IMG]
    Shana has 3 of the Speckled Sussex & 2 of the Anconas & the rest are mine. We have a few Salmon Faverolles coming tomorrow from the CO-OP in Arkansas City. I think if I need chicks again & they have them I will just order from there, much easier & cheaper. I was really surprised that they had such an extensive list & rare breeds too. I think the chicks come from Cackle Hatchery in Missouri. The brown leghorns & the speckled sussex look so much alike it's almost hard to tell them apart. The slight difference is the lighter stripe down the backs of the speckled sussex. They're so darned cute all fuzzy right now, there's just not a lot cuter than fuzzy chicks!

5. tweetysvoice

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Trish, Very adorable!!! I'm having fun watching my new chicks run around :) I'm glad they got your car all fixed up for you!! I know it has to feel much better having it at home!

6. rvroman

rvroman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Hello everybody!

It has been a while since I've been in here, 100+ messages worth at least. I am only here for a brief second so I can advertise to anyone wanting a rooster, I will catch up with you all as soon as the semester from hell is over!

I have a FREE rooster to a good home!!!
    If you are interested PM me.
    I can not keep Leroy, he is fairly docile, takes a minute to get used to you however he settles right down once he is comfortable. He is between 6 and 7 weeks old, I think. He is crowing (making attempts at least), which is what pretty much confirms my suspicions, that and his comb and wattles. Here are some pics, he may have a Buttercup comb, it has a v kind of shape, it was far more defined early on, now both sides kind of blend together.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tweetysvoice

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Rvroman, Aww.. He's beautiful! IF I could have roos I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat! I hope i'm not going to be right behind you in offering out a silkie roo within the next couple months.

8. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    Sapphireblu, probably not an Aloha because they aren't available commercially. You may have Red Star males if they are white with the brick red on the wings? Just a guess. CONGRATS on the pipping!

rvroman, such a beauty!

Trish44, glad your car is all better. You are so right -- nothing cuter than chicks and those are adorable!

Kids and I took the bunnies out so they could mingle with the birds. It was so funny! The chickens thought the bunnies were monsters and finally came out of the coop on the run with the bunnies chasing after. Order was restored and it was so much fun to see all of them enjoying the great outdoors. So cute!

9. tweetysvoice

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Funny story about the silkies today. We had a "mishap" today. I decided to remove the shavings and paper towels and replace the entire brooder floor with the rubber shelf liner to give them more traction - poor babies were slipping even on the paper towels. So DH had the three on a towel on the floor and they were a bit freaked out. The all piled into the crook of his arm and Jade tried to climb UNDER Amber. She's the one with the band-aid still for the spraddle leg. Well, Jade got her head stuck between Amber's belly and the band-aid. Talk about a scream! Both chicks went rolling and flapping everywhere and it took a bit for DH to calm them down to help Jade out of the predicament. I cracked up so hard once I realized what the commotion was going on behind me. LOL

Here's a pic from today. They are doing really good! Not sure how long I need to keep the band-aid on for Amber's legs though.. any ideas? She's running around and doing the zoomies with the rest of them, so it's not hindering her in any way.

[​IMG]

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop

Nah....not a couple of months, - try 5-6! I know right? That makes it even harder because you have that much more time to get attached to them before knowing for sure. I've actually stopped wondering about mine when I realized I really don't care (well, at least I don't care as long as one is a girl). If I have two girls, I'll have two living incubators and if I have a pair, I'll be able to hatch out more silkies. Now if I have two boys, I might be a little sad then....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by