Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Jade Is ready to go in her X-Wing
    [​IMG]
    Amber is working out the kinks with R2D2

[​IMG]
    Amy is ready to go in her Landspeeder.

(I had to dig outta the storage room to find a couple toys to post pictures with! LOL)

2. rvroman

rvroman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Wish I could take any of the credit, but this is all my husbands work!!!! I have a wonderful husband who despite his dislike for my newest hobby, still built me a coop in record time!!! I am going to put a better feeder and waterer in when we get the permanent doors, those are just temporary, so that the chickens could be out of the house by the end of the weekend.

Still got the final touches to put on, but hey not only do I have a coop, I was able to put the dog crate in so the newest chicks could get to know the older ones without them being picked on too much!

Thanks again to Wichitakidd!!! I really appreciate the shingles!

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Those Trekkie toys are too cute!

RVRoman, regardless, it is a great coop and you obviously have a great DH [​IMG] Mine is really good also about supporting my interests. He even comes up with great ideas, although when it comes to building he seems to feel I have more know-how than he does.

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Giggle.. the nerd in me [​IMG] has to correct you - It's from Star Wars [​IMG]
    Thanks. They are still young enough that they just sit where you put them.

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

rvRoman, the coop looks fantastic!! YAY to have your birds outside! I bet that feels wonderful!

Tweety, that is hilarious that you found star wars toys to pose your chicks with!! LOL That is a lot classier than my "Little 'Tykes". [​IMG]

Just had to share... my DH is recovering from a pretty bad running injury, so he hasn't been able to do any marathons yet this year. He did the Half this morning (13.2 miles) instead since he's still recovering. But as you all know, it POURED and rained hard and thundered, etc, etc.... Miserable weather to run in. One of his friends snapped this hysterical picture of him running full out, at top speed this morning. Shows you how insane... er, dedicated I mean, that these runners are! BTW-- Trish, how did your DH do in the OKC marathon? Did he PR?? My DH came home with some horrible blisters from where his wet feet rubbed on his socks against the shoes. Poor guy. BTW-- even at that, he still managed to do mid 7 minute miles.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    Hawkeye, my DH had a terrible time today in his marathon, running in the rain & he said his shoes were bricks & his clothes were sticking & rubbing. He was disgusted that he got his worst time ever on this one. He's limping around this evening after he got home & I can tell he's pretty wiped out. He's a lot older I'm sure than your DH Hawkeye & the arthritis is kicking up in his knee. The Dr told him his marathon days are numbered, but of course he doesn't want to hear that. I have tried to get him to just do the half-marathon, but he thinks he has to be he-man & do the full one. My son was there when he came in to take him back to his hotel & then they went out to eat before he started home. Oh, congrats on the chick hatching!

rvroman, that coop is looking great, can't wait to see it all finished.

I had two more chicks hatch yesterday & one has a little spraddle leg, so I used vet wrap & made a little splint for it's legs. I hope it helps because it has trouble walking right & tends to fall over & roll onto it's back. This is the last blue wheaten Ameraucana chick to hatch & it was late hatching, so I don't know if that had anything to do with the leg or not. I had one more of my other Ameraucana chicks hatch too. It has been a little slower to get around than they usually are, but it's starting to perk up. I think the ones I've had hatch a day early did better than the late hatchers for some reason. The rest of my little chicks seem to be doing fine out in the brooder, so far no pasty butt.

Danz, cute chicks!

Hechicken, you sound like us, we always seem to have to stop & go get something or the other & then it delays the project, it's aggravating for sure.

Well we have storms rolling in soon, so I'm going to have to shut down for the night. I didn't really sleep that well last night either, about the time I got to bed the thunder & lightening started & then there was a cat in the room I had to get up & let out, then I had a nightmare. The next thing I knew my cell phone was ringing & it was my son this morning griping at me about trying to find my DH in the midst of 15,000 people. I sure hope I sleep better tonight.

7. cherwill

cherwill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    McPherson, KS
    HEChicken, the original EEs we got March 1, so they were probably less than a week old at that time. The new ones in the picture are from a January hatch.

The community garden we're involved in asks for a donation to offset the water use. There was no specified minimum donation but we all pestered the guy running it until he suggested $25 per 25x25 plot. There were a couple of plots that were not "rented" last season, and a couple more where the people abandoned them. He gave those plots to several of us who were taking good care of our own. He didn't want a donation for those because it was later in the season; he just wanted us to keep the weeds down. I know someone else who was running a community garden where they all shared the whole space. You were supposed to come in when you wanted and tend things and only harvest what you could use. I think by the end of the season he was the only one taking care of it. I just heard tonight that no one has signed up for it this season.

Laying out your building is a bigger accomplishment than you might think. I think the design part is always much harder than the execution. Also, we have a method for estimating time and cost in our house. I ask DH what he thinks it will cost and how long it will take. He tells me. I double the cost and triple the time; that's the REAL estimate!

Danz, thanks for the pictures of your beautiful birds and their chicks. Those are indeed sweet things.

Karen, what you're doing with the dog houses sounds interesting. I can't wait for the pictures.

Hawkeye, woohoo! Now it's the Incubator of Life! And your DH is certainly dedicated to running. I would have taken the weather as a sign that I was meant to stay inside.

RVRoman, the coop looks great and your DH got it done in record time. It's really nice to have a husband who is handy and who is willing to use that to support your interests even when they're not his own. That's something I appreciate about my own DH, though I could do without the snide comments that go along with it when it's something that he isn't interested in!

Tweety, funny pictures! Thanks for the laugh.

Trish, maybe your DH is looking at it all wrong. Maybe it's actually his FASTEST time in a monsoon. I hope you get some sleep tonight.

Speaking of sleep, that's where I'm headed. Our nephew is staying with us for a while. He lives out of town but works here and his car is not working; neither is his girlfriend's car and she already lost her job because she couldn't get there regularly. He's hoping he can get his fixed when he gets paid and until then, he needs a place in town. He never stops talking. I love him dearly, but I'm tired! We also just got back from a niece's birthday party and a quick trip to the grocery store for sandwich supplies for my nephew.

8. sapphireblu76

sapphireblu76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Congrats on the chick Hawkeye!

RVRoman, your DH did a great job on your coop. I can't wait to see it all done :)

Verna, LOVE your birds. We may need to talk about some chicks before summer's over :D

Anyone I missed... I sorry! So many posts and so much great stuff to read and see!

I have 2 more chicks hatching in the incubator. I think I know why they are so far past hatch date now and will do better next time. I hope these two do better!!!

DH and I were able to get my pen sooooo close to being done before it got dark tonight. Tomorrow we just have to put up one more 4x8 on the back and put some latches on the doors! Then I need to build a little shelter for the chicks, so I can put them out in it.

My next project is a Banty hutch. My poor little OEG banty pullet, Robin, needs a space away from the big kids. I'm going to put the Cochin banties in with her, since she was raised with them. They are much more mild than my big ol' EE's and BR's.
    I finally made a decision; the little white Cochin is now named Daphne. Thank you for sharing your preference! The black one is Veronica, and the Silver-laced is Lacey. They are just so docile! I have never had a chicken I could just walk up to and scoop up in my hand. They make sweet little noises while I hold them and pet them...yep, I'm in love. Why, oh why didn't I get banties sooner?

I am also going to be building some wood and wire carriers to sell. I will post some pictures as soon as I have some ready to go. If anyone is interested, just let me know :)

I think I might be keeping myself just a liiiiiiittle too busy, lol. All these projects in the works and none done yet! At least I have everything for all of them now.

DH decided pouring a foundation for the new coop sounded like it was going to be better than trying to reset the blocks we laid. He also agreed that it would be easier to clean and maintain with a concrete floor as opposed to the dirt. At least I know the blocks won't go to waste. I'm going to use them to make a walk from the driveway to the sidewalk in front of the house (yet another project I hadn't had the materials to get done). IT'S ALL COMING TOGETHER! Now....if I could just get that dang fence up!!! Anyone know where I can get the electrified portable poultry fence and about how much it runs (per foot, or however they sell it)?

9. sapphireblu76

sapphireblu76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    OMG![​IMG] I'm geekin' out right now!!! I had some of those toys when I was a kid! I'm still a total Star Wars nerd [​IMG]
    Oh, yeah...those chicks are flippin' ADORABLE!

10. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well the rain didn't do anyone any favors for running in it. My Dh might be limping around today depending on how bad his blisters turn out. Wet shoes is NOT the path to a nice speedy run. And yeah, the constant rubbing of wet clothes-- no fun. But the up side is that the OKC marathon has a lot of great after events for the runners when they come in. They have the grills set up in the middle of the street, the beer garden, etc, etc. My DH takes advantage of all of that when he runs. Congrats on your chicks! You are really having them hatch like crazy now!

That is a bummer so many people abandoned the gardens... BUT last year was one of the WORST years for keeping one. Hardly anything grew and it burned up in the middle of the day when you can't really water. I always water in the am and at night. Yeah, rainy weather is definitely a sign for ME anyway, that it's a good day to just stay home and read. I'm not a big fan of taking a shower in my clothes. Sounds like you have your hands full with your nephew. Is his car in the shop now? It's a real PITA to have a car in the shop-- the whole day gets messed up.

Yay for nearly being done with the pen! Sounds like a good idea to separate out your little birds. I hope they do a lot better. What kind of wood and wire carriers are you talking about? Like the ones I saw at the show a month ago or so? Those were really neat. :) I need a paver path built around the side of my house where we constantly walk from the garage down to the back yard. We've worn a nasty dirt rut into the lawn. It's not pretty and it would be better if I laid down pavers or bricks or something so we don't walk in mud when it rains and protects the rest of the lawn. I know what you mean by always having a project-- and this one wouldn't be cheap because it's a long stretch of pathway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by