Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. cherwill

cherwill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    McPherson, KS
    Sapphire, I'm sorry you lost that chick. I know it happens, but it's always sad.

Ivy, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your sticky chicks.

Tweety, I hope the muscle spasms calm down; I know how miserable it is when it ahppens. Nice work with the 4.0, though!

Hawkeye, that really is a cool run. We can't cover ours easily because there are three lilacs in it. Predators aren't a big problem here in town, but we do have the occasional escapee.

HEChicken, how nice of that man to help you reload and I'm glad no one was hurt. I also get a kick out of how happy my birds are to see me. Sometimes they can even see me when I'm looking through the kitchen door and they start lining up along the gate because they're just certain I'm going to come with something good to eat.

Danz, sounds like a sad morning, but it might also have been a very good thing for you and your dad to be able to face it together and get through it.

We were hoping to get the drip watering system tweaked this week, but ran out of time. Every year we have to check to see that all the drippers and misters are working, and we usually have moved some plants around or added some. Then we have to add or move components of the watering system. Now that the dirt is all wet, it's impossible to see where the dead spots are. It figures this would be the one time McPherson actually got the rain that was in the forecast! On the up side, I don't have to drive around town watering our gardens.

Here are the two hens Justhatchin' gave us in exchange for Stan and Dorothy, the roos. They won't let me get too close unless they've already roosted for the night. Then they still don't like me messing with them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks like someone else wanted to get in the picture!

This is our community garden plot. Two plots, actually, 8 & 9:
    [​IMG]

And our bonus garden, just a small section of this man's beautiful yard:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    A truck is the next thing on my wishlist LOL. It would come in REALLY handy so much of the time. Living in the city, I didn't need a truck and have a nice sensible car that works great for schlepping kids around all over, but even here, more than once a truck would have been handy. Now that we are moving, I know the time will come we'll decide we can't live without a truck. It did help that we bought an older SUV last year and it has a roof rack, so as long as the item we are hauling is lightweight enough we can get it up there, we can carry some larger items than will fit in my car. But some of the heavier things, or getting a load of top soil or mulch....well, you just can't beat a truck for those kinds of things.

Congrats on the 4.0 - you must be working really hard to maintain that!

I love that coop and run. I agree that the clear panels are a good option if you don't have to worry about too much sun, as they will let a lot of light in. We used something similar for our current coop and I like that they are cheap, lightweight and easy to install, but very effective. I also like their use of the PVC for the run to create more headroom for the people. Kind of the same idea as the hoop houses, except using them on the roof instead.

The new pullets look like lovely Easter Eggers - you will enjoy the colorful eggs (or at least I know I would [​IMG]) How old are they?

That's great you have so much space to garden. I'm not sure how the community garden plots work. Do you have to pay a rental fee for the space?

3. medawinks

medawinks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    I have two little chicks who need a new home. My neighborhood will not let me have a rooster, let alone 2. One is a cuckoo Marans and the other is a Salmon Favarolle- both were from Orschelens. If any one knows of anyone who would want them, for something besides dinner....:) I would be much happier giving them away for that!

Thanks!!!

4. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop

Where are you located?

5. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I actually made a start on my coop today [​IMG]

All I did was lay out one of the walls but it is a 14' wall and um....a 14' wall is gonna be BIG. I guess I hadn't quite realized how large it was going to look until I saw it laying there. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do any more than lay it out. I had my air compressor all fired up and at pressure when I discovered that my framing nailer is missing the connector to be able to attach the air hose. Grrrrr. Why is it that I always seem to spend more of my "project time" running around trying to find the tools I need, than actually getting anything done? I plan to stop by Lowes tomorrow on my way there and get the attachment I need and then nothing is going to stop me getting that wall completely built tomorrow.

6. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    I didn't get much done this afternoon but didn't get a nap either. It was one of those days the phone kept ringing. Anyway while I was outside I discovered some sweet things and it always catches me by surprise because I think I know where all the ladies are sitting.
    This gal you can tell has been a rooster favorite. I did notice that neither chick looked to be one of her own eggs. I have no idea where she has been being broody.
    [​IMG]
    This pheonix came out a few days ago with 7 purebred pheonix chicks. I think she was sitting under the hen house which sits about 8 inches off the ground. I love watching her scratch the dirt to feed her babies. I do hope they make it because I need a back up rooster. I sold all the ones I had.
    [​IMG]

7. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Danz-Cute babies!

Sapphire- So sorry about the baby, such a bummer. It is so hard to lose them even when you try to help but sometimes they just go anyway.

Hi to everyone else, I can't remember what all I read....

Well, we sold the goats today. I was kinda sad to see them go but I am tired of chasing lose goats around and they went to a wonderful family that will have a lot more time and attention for them. They even have portable corrals built for them so they can move them from one weedy hill to another! I had a guy call last night who sounded like a goat trader and had like 200 goats already that wanted them and when I got back to him this morning that I had found another buyer he was pretty ticked off. I really didn't feel good about sending them to his place and I wanted them to be taken good care of.

Hoping the dogs are going to be okay without the goats. They have been penned with them for a while now. Lucie got in big trouble this afternoon for grabbing the rooster that she is penned with by the behind and dragging him around. SO the roo has been removed and she is only allowed supervised visits with the chickens now. I swear she is going through her terrible twos right now, finds trouble anywhere she can!!

8. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chick HATCHED!!!!!! It has a huge vaulted skull-- so that is the thing on it's head. I didn't realize I'd get so many vaults out of my pair.
    [​IMG]

9. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Wooohooo!! Gonna be a cutie!!

10. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you! I'm so excited! He's stumbling around and trying to walk, and then he gives up and lays flat out on the incubator floor. But then when you think he's going to sleep, he jumps up and chirps and goes again. He's trying, he's just still weak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by