Consolidated Kansas

HEChicken, I think if I built a homemade incubator my chicken math would run amok, also my husband might never speak to me again. I will definitely have to keep that in mind though, so when I am ready (or my husband has accepted it) I can hatch some eggs! I would love that!

Oh MAN, KarenS, if you did get enough to sell me one I think I would just pass out from excitement. The lavender orpingtons were the very first chickens I saw that actually made me want to really push my husband to let me have them. Sadly I could only find Buffs, and then they were all minimal orders of larger amounts than I wanted. I settled for At woods babies and love them all, just really wanted an orp... at least we decided to build a 4x8 coop instead of the 4x4!!!

Hawkeye,
fl.gif
I hope the baby makes it out of the shell soon!

I think Helen Keller may very well be a boy. She has a pretty red comb and wattles, but Leroy started crowing so early that I just don't know what to expect. She is a white cochin bantam and I am not sure when they are easily sexed. I will have to get some newer pics Ill attach one of the older ones what do you guys think? Anybody familiar with cochins?

I know its not the best picture, it was from 3 or 4 weeks ago around, she was 2-3 weeks old.

HEChicken, I think if I built a homemade incubator my chicken math would run amok, also my husband might never speak to me again. I will definitely have to keep that in mind though, so when I am ready (or my husband has accepted it) I can hatch some eggs! I would love that!

Oh MAN, KarenS, if you did get enough to sell me one I think I would just pass out from excitement. The lavender orpingtons were the very first chickens I saw that actually made me want to really push my husband to let me have them. Sadly I could only find Buffs, and then they were all minimal orders of larger amounts than I wanted. I settled for At woods babies and love them all, just really wanted an orp... at least we decided to build a 4x8 coop instead of the 4x4!!!

Hawkeye,
fl.gif
I hope the baby makes it out of the shell soon!

I think Helen Keller may very well be a boy. She has a pretty red comb and wattles, but Leroy started crowing so early that I just don't know what to expect. She is a white cochin bantam and I am not sure when they are easily sexed. I will have to get some newer pics Ill attach one of the older ones what do you guys think? Anybody familiar with cochins?

I know its not the best picture, it was from 3 or 4 weeks ago around, she was 2-3 weeks old.
I think it is a pullet. My cochins all got pink combs early and I thought I had all boys for a long time but they all turned out to be girls. I don't see anything that screams boy either.

Last edited:
Some of the birds in the basement started with the sneezing thing so I got this idea it may be from dampness, i.e., some kind of fungal thing. If I'm right, I can get it cleared up with some Oxine AH in a cool mist vaporizer and before I do anything further with the birds I want to make sure they are good and healthy. If this doesn't work then they probably are getting a virus, or already have it systemically, and I just don't want to pass that on to anybody.

HEChicken, your bird has remained healthy but it won't hurt it to treat and I think it's the best thing to do. We have plenty of time before your bird goes home so I feel sure I'll know how he's doing before then.
I never would have even thought of that as the cause of the sneezing but hopefully you are right and the Oxine fixes them right up. Um, what IS Oxine? I've heard so many references to it lately but don't know what it actually is. I was in Lowes this morning and did have a quick look for it in the cleaning supplies aisle, just because I was curious to know what it is, so I can report that they do NOT have it.

I'm really curious to see your breeding pens that you plan to build later this week - let us know how that goes!

I think it is a pullet. My cochins all got pink combs early and I thought I had all boys for a long time but they all turned out to be girls. I don't see anything that screams boy either.
Thank you Tonya for giving me hope
smile.png
. I have a little white bantam Cochin that is now about 9 weeks old. I've assumed since it was 3 weeks old or so that it is a boy. Honestly, I still think it probably is because it isn't just a little pink - it is RED - but at least until it crows I an daydream that its a girl.

RVRoman, that is certainly the hard part about having limitations on the number you can have. Incubating really can be addictive, but if you are limited to how many times you can hatch according to how many you can keep, it does make it hard. I'm limited to 12 (until we move) but found hatching so intoxicating that I found myself looking for ways to circumvent the rules, and that's when I hatched Coturnix quail. I got to satisfy my desire to incubate and hatch, without increasing my chicken numbers. The plan was that we would keep them in our view-out basement and therefore no-one would ever know they were there to complain we were over our limit. That plan didn't work out because they STINK - big time. We did eventually move them outside but you have to be careful they don't come in contact with chickens because there is a disease that chickens can be carriers of that is lethal to quail. So we had a section of the front yard penned off for them. Then the males started to crow - nothing like a chicken rooster crow, but pretty loud and persistent nevertheless. Our neighbors never did complain and I always hoped they thought it was a just a songbird call LOL. Anyway, long story short, the great quail experiment only lasted 6 months or so. The hatching of them was fun though. And we still have some pickled quail eggs in the fridge.

FWIW, this is mine at roughly the same age as yours I think. If I'm understanding you correctly, the first pic was 3-4 weeks ago when the chick was 2-3 weeks old which would mean it is now 5-7 weeks old. The below photo was taken when mine was 7-8 weeks old. He's the cutest thing - the photo doesn't show it well but he has awesome muffs and stays very white and clean all the time. He was very stand-offish until a few days ago when he suddenly noticed I am the treat lady. Now he comes running, peeping madly any time he sees me, then stops just short of me, looking up expectantly.

Karen, good luck on the lavenders. That should be an interesting spin on the Alohas. I bet they are really pretty as is, too. I hope you have a good hatch.

My chick has NOT hatched yet. Sigh. It still has a pretty large pip it put into the shell, so at least I don't think it's going to suffocate and die in the shell. I noticed that my incubator was dropping back into the 50%'s this morning, I don't know why that happened so fast, I had it perfect last night. So I did pop open the lid quick and set in a warm soaking wet paper towel to up the humidity. The chick started screeching when it heard me. So now I sit back and
fl.gif
and wait.

Thanks, Hawkeye! I'm holding my breath waiting for your chick to hatch! Silly bird, come on outta there!
fl.gif

I wanted to thank whomever recommended Odoban from Sam' Club a while back. I bought some and have used it for just everything. I put it in my mop water, laundry, and now I'm even using it in my incubator to keep it fresher smelling. Love the stuff. It's also antibacterial which adds that much more use to it.

That was me, and you're very welcome! I discovered that stuff when I used to do investment houses and it's just great for getting rid of pet odors and disinfecting. It's reasonably priced too, since it is mixed with water for lots of applications. Good stuff!

Home sick today. Dunno what's going on, but it's some horrible tummy issues. My chicks are all doing good. The girls outside are getting so big - they look like chickens again - no more akwardness! hehe. The ducks are doing great too. I really know that getting rid of Quackers was the best thing, they are like new ducks now that routine is settled again. The birds are liking that I let them out in to the outer coop today since I'm home. lol. at least someone is happy I'm home today.

I ordered a new camera the other day ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I6DVC0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00) a Cannon Powershot. I wanted something that would be better than my kodak easyshare point and shoot so I can get better pics of the birds in action shots. It will arrive today, so i'm sure you'll will be getting more pictures soon. I love taking pictures and got frustrated by the lack of options in this other camera. Now i can get creative!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

Tweety, sorry about your tummy issues -- not fun! Congrats on your new camera, I think I need to get a better one, too, or learn how to use the one I have. Not quite sure which it is. Hope you're feeling a little better.

KarenS, I don't think I will have a chance this weekend to come by, I have an event for the Cowley Country Humane Society on Sat. morning that we do every year & then that evening I have my 40th high school class reunion in Wichita. I'm kind of excited about that & kind of not, it will be strange seeing those people after 40 years! I have not been to any of the other reunions for one reason or another. If you end up selling some of those lavender orpingtons later on I may be interested in a hen. Yeah, that chick that hatched in my GQF yesterday was one of the most vigorous chicks I have seen so far. It had the loudest peep & it just was a strong little thing. I took it out to the brooder today & it fit right in even though it's smaller than most of the rest.

Well everyone have a great day, I've got a busy one again today.

Oh bummer. Well, whenever you next make a trip and can spare the extra time, call me. If you don't still have my cell, PM me and I'll get it to you. I'll keep you in mind for the Lav Orps.

Quote:
I don't want any passing out
th.gif
but if I get any kind of numbers out of this hatch, I'll sure be willing to sell a couple.
fl.gif
Come on eggs, get rested! I'm going to put them in late tonight so it will be like a day and a half of rest. I thought that was a good compromise between 1 day and 2!
lol.png
I just so want some of these birds. I do want to make it clear I did not get these from Chooks. I'm hoping to get some from her this summer but these came from someone in GA on BYC. They did a great job of wrapping and packing, it was just one egg that seemed like it should have been readily apparent when it went into the wrap it wasn't quite right. No biggee, I'm just glad to get them.

Ivy, how long do you have to wait to get that pup?

Check ya'll later...

My pup will be ready after May 23. I can hardly wait. To keep it chicken related, I read in the history of the havanese, which is the only breed attributed to being from Cuba (Havana-Havanese) made it's way into the households of aristocrats and quickly became a family dog and companion. It was sometimes used to herd the family flock of chickens.

I don't think I will teach mine to herd the chickens. For one thing, I don't want a house dog that is constantly running through the chicken poop, if you know what I mean.
sickbyc.gif

Sorry, guys. I don't have any tricks or secrets to hatching turkeys. I just hatched them right along with my chickens. I just candled the first ones today. Only half of them were fertile. And now..... .......(drum roll, please...) I get the HAWKEYE EGG HANDLING award for the day.
bow.gif
I took one of the eggs out of the incubator to candle it, and promply dropped it right on the cement floor. You can guess what happened. FORTUNATELY it was one of the sterile ones.... whew!

I was going to write this morning, but got a phone call and didn't get back to it. Now I can't remember about 90% of what I was going to write, so please excuse me if I skipped over some questions or something. You know sometimes you have to repeat things to us old folks.
gig.gif

DH and I drove to Falls City, NE today to pick up some shavings for my chickens. Drove all that way and they were out. I ended up buying flowers instead. Sounds logical, doesn't it?

My chick DIED! It almost hatched out. Then I realized I hadn't heard it in a few minutes.. and went over and it was too quiet still in the shell. I broke all of your cardinal rules and I peeled back the rest of the shell. I think it suffocated! The inner membrane wasn't broke thru and it died!! It was a BLACK!! I really, really was hoping for a BLACK!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom