Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    Hawkeye, congrats on your new chick, yay! We want to see pics when it gets all dried & fluffy.

rvroman, cute chicks!

Josie, cute babies, so fuzzy!

Well I went into town but before I went I called the heating & air place that we always have do our work, they put in a whole new heating & air system for us last summer. Anyway, they had wood & pallets sitting out back of their place & I asked them what their plans were for it & they said I could have it. So I went & got enough good 2x4s for a pen & several good pallets & some other boards. & then one long piece that I thought I might be able to use by cutting it in half & then use it for the top of a pen. It hung way out of my truck when I was driving home, but I went the back way around town so I wouldn't call attention to myself. I didn't want to get in trouble for not having flags or things tied down because I just didn't want to mess with it. There was another side of a crate thing that I would have liked to have, but it was long also & too heavy for me by myself. I thought maybe I could talk my DH into going back with me Sunday afternoon maybe to get it It looks like it would be nice to also cut in half & use for sides of a pen or something. I hate leaving perfectly good wood sitting there that they will just haul to the dump. There were also a lot of 2x8s sitting under there that could be good for maybe a part of my new coop, I don't know. If I do get my DH to go back with me maybe we can get some of those too. Anyway, I came in for a rest & then I need to go back out & unload the truck & start pulling nails on some of the boards. I don't even mind pulling nails when the wood is free, heck who can pass up free wood. If I hadn't found that I was going to have to go buy wood. Free is much better! I will probably need more wire to cover it all, but after the free wood I should be able to afford that. My DH is going to look at my pile & think I have lost my mind when he comes home, but he doesn't visualize things like I do when I look at a pile of boards like that.

I had one more little Amerauacana hatch today, so there are now 3 of them in the hatcher. I candled the other eggs that are in there & I see movement in all but one & that one I can't see too well in. Most of these are EE eggs that I put in before. I probably won't hatch too many more of those, but for those people just wanting pretty eggs & colorful hens they're good for that. I have the 3 cuties in the brooder still that need new homes soon, they're growing so fast. I've got to get some pics of them today if I can. Well I'd better get back out there & get busy.

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Trish, wow! I'm so envious of all your free wood! Good job on getting that for free!! I hope your DH isn't upset about it, I'd be excited!!

Okay, my chick hasn't dried off yet, so no fluffy pictures. BUT I did take pictures of it right when it was hatching! I got one right when it popped out of the shell!!

Just Hatched!!!
    [​IMG]

Trying to get up and chirp!
    [​IMG]

Starting to Air Fluff!! I think this is a Blue and not a Splash. Anyway, I'm voting Blue right now...
    [​IMG]

3. rvroman

rvroman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    What a cute chick!!! Congrats Hawkeye!!! [​IMG]

4. Hawkeye95

thank you!! [​IMG]

5. rvroman

Mar 14, 2012
    This is a picture of the her feet, the extra toes have nails. I am trying to figure out what breed she could possibly be, she has a top notch thing going on, what do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Hawkeye95

Definitely not a silkie mix, the black skin and beak are dominant. I have no idea! LOL Sultans have 5 toes and a crest. I wonder if it could be a cross with that?? I can't think of another bird that has 5 toes and a crest... but I'm not exactly bird trivia lady here. Someone like Danz, or Ivy... they might know! But he's super cute and I LOVE his coloring!!

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  7. rvroman

Mar 14, 2012
    Oh my gosh, that definitely looks like it should be called Yeti! I love it. I want one! DH sternly said "No more" after my faux pas today with my accidental babies. I am hoping for a poof head with my littlest though.

8. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    Hawkeye, Oh that is a keeper for sure, what a cutie! Congrats, I'm so happy for you!

Well I went out & ended up not pulling nails, I went out to the garage & it was so hot in there that I decided I was going to move my Chinchilla rabbit & her babies out to one of the outdoor hutches, I could tell she was miserable. So I decided that my buck in the biggest hutch had to give up his spot, so I had to move him to the hutch I just got put back together. We don't have the hinges on the big door yet, but it's heavy & it's not going anywhere so the rabbits will be fine until I can get DH to help me with it. Anyway, I got him moved to his new spot & then went in & got the nest box with the 4 babies in it, they're so darned cute, now that I have them where I can get a photo better I'll try to do that tomorrow. When I took the nest box with the babies momma was kind of freaking out. I got them out to the outside hutch & then came back for her. I don't know what she was thinking about where I was taking her, but she was just having a fit. I got her in there & showed her the babies were OK & finally I think she started to settle down. Then I decided to move another one of my Mini Rex bucks from in the garage to the outdoor hutch also. I got all of that done & fed & watered them all out there & then went in to do the same inside. I've got this one hutch I'm going to take apart & make it into several cages for the Mini Rex rabbits because they don't need that big of a cage, they're fairly small. That will be my next project after I get my chicken pen made.

After doing all of that & getting all of the other critters fed & watered, cats, dogs, & chickens I had to come in for awhile & rest then went back out & unloaded all of that wood out of the truck & sat it beside the driveway. I hope to pull nails tomorrow & start on that pen for the chickens.

Then drum roll..... I came back in after parking the truck back in it's spot again & guess what, I have two baby turkeys! I'm so excited! I didn't even know they were starting to hatch. I think there might be one or two more that are trying to pip. The strange thing is one is definitely a Royal Palm, which they're supposed to be, but I'm not sure what the other one is. It's dark in color & not anything like the other one, so I sent a message to the person on eBay that I got the eggs from & asked them if they have other kinds of turkeys because this one definitely is not a Royal Palm. I will have to take pics once they get dried off & start moving around better. Right now they're still wet & not walking yet. I still have one baby Ameraucana in the hatcher that has been drying off & it thinks these turkeys are baby chicks. It keeps going up to them & cuddling with them & pecking them to get up like it did the other chicks. So, I guess I'll find out hopefully what my mystery turkey poult is. I'm still waiting on more of the chicks to hatch, so far none are pipping.

9. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    Wow!!! At last, Hawkeye! Congrats on your beautiful baby! I'm so happy for you!

Trish44 -- I get so excited over free wood! Why spend money on it if you don't have to? DH is using pallets to build the runs for my breeding pens. I got one of them painted, finally! Congrats on your new babies & the turkeys! I have ducks and turkeys that are supposed to hatch Saturday so I'm holding my breath.

Josie -- Congrats on your goslings! They're so cute!

Ivy -- That's great you're getting the AC on in time for the weekend!

I am so sunburned. Why didn't I dig out the sunscreen? I do this every year -- like I woke up to a brand new world!

This evening we had some friends come out to see our chickens. Now that's different, isn't it? Anyway, she's Chinese, has only been here 3 years and she's so excited about the birds. Her husband was really interested in them also, especially the eggs. She says the Chinese community really wants free range meat birds and eggs. It made me laugh when she said "Chinese don't like fat chicken, Chinese like normal chicken". She and her DH actually went to a place that raises the Cornish X birds and bought some that they cleaned themselves while there. That was an interesting scenario.

I've got to go -- I am so tired. Big work day again tomorrow! I'm hoping to get all my tomato and pepper plants in the ground that I started myself. I really want to make my own salsa this year and can it. I just learned to can last year and did tons of applesauce. It was really good and we enjoyed it through most of the winter. Now how do I go about planting while wrapped in a blanket to protect myself from further sunburn?

10. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    What an adorable chick Hawkeye. He looks like he is going to be super fluffy.
    RVRoman, to me that chick looks like a Mottled Houdan. The have a small crest and they have 5 toes and the coloring is right. The nice thing is he is rare enough that you should be able to sell it for a decent price if you want later on. I would contact Ideal and let them know that they sent the wrong breed and they will credit you for the chick, so if you order again you will have a credit, or if it was on a credit card they will change the charge. I actually got a couple Houdans from Ideal myself that were supposed to be Polish a couple years ago.
    I understand that Ideal contracts out to several breeders for some of their chicks so mistakes can be made. I got some poor quality chicks from them as well as some of the top show quality birds from them so you never know.
    I just got home and it's 11:00 PM so I'm going to write in the morning. I'm totally worn out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by