Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    LOL - too funny - how did that happen?

Several years ago I had a similar experience. I deliberately placed the order but the next day found a local gal willing to sell me chicks so I decided to get them from her instead. I went and picked up 8 straight run chicks and came home to cancel my order. Now keep in mind, the delivery date for my chicks was six weeks in the future so not only had the chicks not hatched, they hadn't been set, but the rooster probably hadn't even done the deed with the lady who was going to lay the egg yet! But could I cancel the order? Oh no. If I did that, the website said, they'd have to charge me an arm and a leg to find new homes for my "abandoned chicks". [​IMG] There was no way I was going to pay almost as much to NOT get chicks as I would to just allow them to continue to process the order. So six weeks later I got four chicks in the mail to add to my flock of 8. And I had only intended to have four to begin with. Chicken math bit me big time on that one.

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

NO baby yet, but yeah, Ivy had me laughing too. Underwear or firecrackers??

The baby is still "chewing" with it's beak sticking out of the egg. From what I've read, that means it is still absorbing the yolk, right? I hope it gets a move on! I can't wait to see what color this is! It cheeps every now and then.

Roman-- was that a slip of your fingers on the "pay now" button?? [​IMG]

3. rvroman

rvroman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    [​IMG]
    No I had called quite a few places to see if they had any of the specific breeds I had hoped for, none of which I got, until I picked up my scarlett and midge. SO...I apparently placed an order with a feed store and they just got my babies. I have a terrible memory so I can not remember if I did or did not place an order, and I can't ever say no to helpless babies... so I am on my way to go get my white leghorn, buff orpington, lavender frizzle, and another ameraucana (which Im sure is just an EE). At least we went with the bigger coop. (I feel like I have already said that) [​IMG]

[​IMG]So I started with, hunny I swear only 2 chickens, then 4, then 3 because Leroy was a rooster and we have to get rid of him, then 5 because I found Trish44 and had to have 2 of her babies, then 9, but really 10 because we still have leroy until he goes.
    So 1+1=10 right? RIGHT?[​IMG]

I know I haven't paid for them yet, I just can't not get them. They had my number and order so I feel like I should be responsible for them.

Here is my question of the day....

Do I put the new babies in the brooder inside the coop with the 3ish week olds or do I get a cardboard box and keep them inside for a little while. Either way they will have a heat lamp on them and food and water. Its just a matter of what will 3ish week old chicks do to babies they haven't met.

4. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    Oh IVY, that was so funny the picture I got in my head of your DH out there in his underwear shooting off firecrackers! Goats really are escape artists aren't they.

Hawkeye, good luck on your baby, I hope it makes it out soon, let us know.

rvroman, that is too funny you ordered chicks & forgot about doing it.

Danz, wow you're really working there, be careful!

Well I had one little Ameraucana hatch last night & another just hatched this morning. I was standing there watching the one zipping along on the shell & the one that had hatched already was calling very loudly to it, like hurry up & come out & play! Now there is another one peeping in the shell in there. OK guys I put my turkey eggs in the hatcher today, so wish me luck. I candled them before putting them in there & 5 of the 6 were moving, so hopefully I'll have a good hatch. That one little chick that was running around in there went over & checked out all of those eggs. I think it could hear the turkeys moving in the shells. Those little fluffy butts are so cute to watch, it's hard to tear yourself away sometimes to go do something else. I was picking up some of the other eggs in there while I had the lid open to put the turkey eggs in & it was like that little chick was defending it's friends, it came over & was kind of acting like I should put them back. I don't know if my little Yorkie is ever going to get used to having chicks hatching, she still jumps up & down like some kind of toy when she hears one peeping, just bouncing. She just keeps jumping on your leg until you pick her up & let her look in the window on the hatcher. At least she doesn't whine so much any more like she did in the beginning, so maybe she is getting somewhat better. Maybe she's just like me & wants to see them & make sure they're OK.

My DH got called into work early today, so that leaves me more time to get some things done. I plan to go get some wood & try to build a grow out pen today for the chicks & turkeys. I'm going to put it in the run, so I think I will put some wood behind it just temporarily for some protection. The little ones won't go out yet, but I have 3 Easter Eggers that haven't sold yet that are almost feathered out that need to get out of the brooder so I have room for new chicks that are hatching. Those bigger chicks are making quite a mess in there. They don't seem to want the heat lamp any more, so they really don't need to be in there now. I'm hoping to find them homes soon because I sure don't need them.

5. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    RVroman-I would definitely separate them for a while. Younger ones tend to run and try to hide under the older ones sometimes, and the older ones just smash them. I would keep them separate until you have watched them for a while, make sure they are eating and drinking and get a little bigger so they are a little better match for their older counterparts.

Hawkeye-[​IMG] for you chick.

I've been feeling a little better since they switched my pain medicine. That percocet just didn't agree with me. Today I've moved one table from the kitchen to the basement, our other table into the kitchen, moved DH's parrot cage and some other smaller furniture, vacuumed cleaned and sat down to dry off every so often since our air conditioner is off and it's getting hot.

I now know why I like to travel so much. It's so I can get out of doing housework![​IMG]

Pike-glad you are doing better. Sounds like you are making some progress, too.

Danz-If we couldn't laugh at ourselves around here we would probably end up in the nut house!

OH! and the cat smell is GONE! I think it was right underneath my computer chair. Anyway, I kept this room closed up all night, and then when I came in this morning I could not smell it at all. Thank goodness. If that cat even walks in this room again he will get a sure and swift lesson about staying out!

6. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Trish- Goats don't have to work too hard at getting out when someone leaves the gate wide open.[​IMG]

7. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    IVY, Oh well that explains it, funny that your DH had to run out in his underwear to take care of the problem though!

8. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    MY GOSLINGS ARE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I will post pics tonight, can't find the camera right now...

Ivy-At least your DH gets out of bed when his darn goats get loose!!! I have to deal with all those issues myself. I think it was most likely the firecrackers that scared them but who knows.....[​IMG]

Roman- You are awesome!! I wish I could accidentally order chicks and forget that I had ordered them then have to pick them up!!!!! I think 1+1 actually equals 40 or so...

Hawkeye- Go to the store for an hour and come back and that chick will have hatched. I swear chicks hatching are like watched pots! I always want to watch and they never come out when I want them to. I forgot to ask you, how do you get the humidity up to 71 in your brinsea? I can only get up to around 60-65 even with paper towels laid so they draw water out of the troughs. I haven't had room for a sponge yet because there are always too many eggs. I actually had 3 chicks last week that accidentally hatched in the turner, with the humidity around 25% because they were from under broodies and I forgot a couple nights to candle to see if anyone had pipped their air cell. [​IMG]

9. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Trish, good luck on those turkeys!!! I sure hope they all make it out! Post their pictures when they come out.

Roman, did you get your babies set up?

Ivy, glad the smell is gone. That was some good luck that you found it!

Josie, congrats on your goslings!! Can't wait to see what they look like! When do they get curly?? Oh and for some reason I've had no issues getting my Brinsea up to 70% humidity. I just fill up both channels and that only gets it to right around 60% or a bit higher. To bring it up even higher, I soak a paper towel in warm water and I don't wring it out-- I leave it sopping wet and just place it in there. That raises the humidity up to about 71-72%--- which is where it is right now. The paper towel takes about 5-6 hours or so to dry out, so it lasts quite a while. Even after it's dried, it stays up there (humidity) for a while and then drop to around 65-- so I have to wet the towel again if I want it back up there again.

And yeah, I would leave, but I've come down sick thanks to my kids. My middle child was throwing up yesterday and today I have a sore throat, sore neck, runny nose... bleah. So I've been laying around. Although, I still managed to clean out pens and move some birds around.

10. rvroman

rvroman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Ok, the babies have a nice warm cardboard box until i figure out where they are going to go for the next week. Here are some pictures, I'm going to guess which one is which, 3/4 are pullets, the "frizzle" is st run.

This I think is my leghorn, who my husband informed me no matter what sex will be names Foghorn, at least he is excited about picking out names?
    [​IMG]

This I think is the buff orp. I think it will be Lillith (the name I actually picked for an orp but ended up giving to a BOY)
    [​IMG]

This is the "ameraucana" whom I shall name audrey 2. Does anybody know why her chin is PURPLE? Its purple from like chin to down the neck.
    [​IMG]

And this is the frizzle! I hope it is a she and I really hope that the top stays white and the body black, I so want a fluffy headed chicken to name Jareth (after David Bowie's character in Labyrinth! The frizzle has 5 toes? I don't know what that means, but I know that Hawkeye you talk about your silkies 5th toes.

after looking at Ideal poultry online, this is supposed to be a frizzle cochin bantam, but no feather legs and the 5th toe make me think not. Input???
    [​IMG]g

YAY new babies!!!

and if anyone out there is as big of a nerd as me it turns out that 1+1=10 not only in chicken math, but also in binary and I LOVE THAT!!!

Last edited: May 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by