Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ivy, I just remembered you saying you are going to name your pup Lizzy in honor of your daughter. I think that is a really great idea. It will be so nice to be able to speak her name every day in that way.

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

huh, double post. I think my internet is acting up

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. pikeman94

pikeman94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    My Coop
    Karen - Of the pair of SSXs you gave me only one had the symptoms. The other one was definitely feeling something as she was starting to drag her wings and she was awfully weak. However, a couple of weeks in the garage and then integrating her with my other two pullets she has made a fully recovery! All I can say is **** is she fast! So I think getting the rest of your SSXs out of the basement and into some dryer air may just be the ticket! Plus the antibiotics helped too!

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Ivy, I love the name you have chosen for your pup.

My little grey pullet has suddenly decided she wants to be a house chicken. Every time I go out to see them, she follows close on my heels as I walk back up the deck stairs, and tries to make it into the house before I close the sliding glass door. She has been successful a few times. Once I didn't even know she had snuck in behind me, and busied myself rinsing dishes at the kitchen sink. I was alerted to her presence when she flew up to see what was on the dining room table [​IMG]

So far, no "accidents" in the house but I haven't let her stay in more than a few minutes each time. She really is very reluctant to leave and I have to nudge her with my hands out the door. The whole time she keeps looking back over her shoulder into the house, clearly wishing she could stay.

She was a year old in January and this has just been the past few days so I don't know what its all about. Hawkeye, I'd ask you to make her a diaper but I think DH would commit me if I suggested actually keeping a chicken in the house.

5. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    What a great name for your new puppy, Ivy. BTW is Checoukan still planning on coming by Sunday. You can text me when you get some new info. Awe Karen that is great you could take the ducks swimming. It was the right thing to do to have them attach to you so you didn't have to go swimming to get them out!! Now that would have been funny.
    BTW if you happen to be up this way I can still give you more ducks. My stupid buyer that was supposed to take all these birds hasn't called me back. I need the space! Isn't it amazing how fast they grow!
    Chopper never liked to be picked up. I started picking him up by sliding my hand under his front. But once he sat down on my lap he was very content to stay there for hours. He still calls me when he sees me but he thinks he is a goose now so he isn't the big baby he was before. He is very content to be with the geese. I kind of miss him but every time I clean the floors I thank God I don't have him in here any more. I don't think I'll ever be able to sell him as a meat duck. So I will have a half breed duck running around trying to breed the purebreds and creating problems! Maybe he could be a lone pet to someone but I don't see getting rid of him otherwise.
    Hawkeye I'm so glad this chick is hatching right. You know chicks don't hatch often because they are weak and ones that have to be helped often don't thrive. Things happen for a reason.
    I haven't checked my bator this morning to see how many guineas I have yet. I'm almost afraid.My luck has been so lousy lately.
    Yesterday I swear I had a pain wish in my head. I worked so hard. I shoveled out and scrapped out three chicken houses. A lot of it was done with a putty knife where it had gotten moist and really stuck down. I shoveled it onto tarps and then had to struggle with the tarps to get them loaded in the tractor bucket to haul them to the garden area. They must have weighed a ton each. And yes I made plenty of mess any way. Then I took down my extra guinea pen and moved it to the opposite side of the yard and put it back up. I pressure washed the panels and the house, then got DH to tow the house over with the tractor. Then I caught a bunch of cokerels that are getting picked up this evening (I hope) caught and put them in the pen. That was the worst job of all. The prettiest one whom I really thought about keeping took a big chunk out of my arm while I was holding him. I nearly ripped his head off without thinking. I have a big bruise on my upper arm from that bite. Needless to say all thoughts of keeping him went down the drain at that moment.
    I had several pure bred polish in the group but decided to cull them because I don't need them and they didn't have great top knots. I told DH I really hate to sell them knowing they are going to freezer camp in a matter of hours but I have to get rid of some of these boys. I don't know what I'm going to do if the other guy doesn't come get the others. I don't want to let them out and then have to recatch them. I planned to put my K-state pullets in that same pen until I get some other projects finished. This shuffling just never seems to end.

6. chicken danz

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    Rob I lost several of the pullets but it was while I was sitting in the hospital with my Mom so I didn't get them treated. I had them in with some of my other young pullets and treated the whole group but none of mine ever got sick. But some of Karen's pullets got sick several days after the first one did, so I thought it might be contageous. I put vetRX and duramyacin in the water for a few days and every one left got over it. So I'm thinking it might have been mold spores from the basement. I had some Seramas in my basement the first year I had them, and lost several to mold just from the bottoms of their cages that I couldn't see until I got them out of there. I think maybe the air is just too moist in a basement and promotes the growth. I have a dehumidifier down there but the stupid thing quit.
    How are you feeling now, anyway? Ready to get out and work hard?

7. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Danz-so far the plan is still to have Checoukan stop by Sunday on her way home to drop off your chicken. I'll PM you when I have more details. In the meantime, you might send me directions again to your place, coming from the north on Hwy 75. That way I can give those directions to her. I don't know exactly what time it will be.

When I opened the door this morning there were ALL of my DH's goats in the yard munching on my young trees.[​IMG] I hollered and my DH jumped out of bed, ran downstairs, grabbed a string of firecrackers and ran out in his underwear to light off the firecrackers. Those goats took off out of the yard in a stampede and ran all the way back to the pen.

What do you suppose scared them? The firecrackers or my DH in his underwear?[​IMG]

8. pikeman94

pikeman94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    My Coop
    Agreed on the mold spores. Saffron (my SSX) has totally recovered being in the garage. I too put duramycin in her water for a few days. She was drinking and eating, but just not acting like a normal pullet. After about a week or so she start to get her strength back and perk up. As I said now she is a ball of fire! Very hard to catch. I will need to get some meal worms or something to get her to start coming back to me.

I am feeling much better. Although, today I have some pain. That is mostly likely caused by me mowing the front yard last night. I know once I was done I was absolutely wiped out! So my body is telling me when to stop. I will say that I would not have been able to mow at all last week. So, I see improvement.

I had a friend come over this past weekend to help me get the ropes up for the hop bines (yes, I said bines). I still am not supposed to lift anything heavy. So, he moved my big ladder around and tied off the tops of the ropes and I was on the ground tying the ropes off at that level. I was also able to get all the over growth cut back. Since we have had a really weird Spring the hops came out of the ground about two months early. If I hadn't cut them back I would have been harvesting in July, which is not the correct time. Hops need to be harvested in Aug/Sept/Oct. Enough of my bantering about hops.

Thanks for checking in on me!

9. rvroman

rvroman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Well,

I accidentally ordered 4 chicks three months ago, so I will be going to pick them up today. I will post pics as soon as I get them

10. chicken danz

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    Okay guys I am laughing out loud. Ivy I not only laughed at setting off the firecrackers to shoo the goats but at your comment about your DH. RVRoman I cracked up that accidentally ordered 4 chicks. How does one do that?? You guys are awesome. No wonder I can't stay off of here.
    Is there a baby yet, Hawkeye?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by