Consolidated Kansas

My guess is that they could be mixed with bantam brahmas. The orps would cause their legs to be very sparsely feathered.

I keep thinking about how to say it gracefully. I paid the price he had started auctions of 6 eggs for on ebay, and got 18 eggs. I actually found him on BYC though. Very very nice guy. If I had only gotten 6 I would have blasted him right away. I know he really meant well. I have suggested different packaging to other sellers but some of them get really defensive about it. I think I probably got a better deal because of my involvement in trying to save some endangered heritage breeds. After all that is the only reason I decided I wanted them.
Quote:
Glad the class went well. My ducks bleed out pretty fast but I have never butchered an ancona. If I get a few butchered soon they will be Ancona mixed and I'll let you know how they went.
I would like to make a comment about something you mentioned. Any time I have butchered I try to do one bird at a time unless I have a helper. My reason for that is that when plucking the feathers release really easily if you can start plucking quickly. The second is that the muscles don't tense up so the meat actually is a lot more tender. I believe that is the science behind letting the birds cure before you cook them. It allows the muscle fibers to break down so the meat isn't tough. I imagine cooking them in a slow cooker breaks them down more than regular roasting as well. Just thought I'd mention that.
The wind was blowing from the South, then a couple hours ago it switched to the North. Not good. I wish I had gotten those darned flower bulbs planted yesterday. The temperature has actually dropped a couple degrees already.

Danz the reason we got several birds killed at once & let them sit was that we wanted each person to have a bird to work on at the same time. That was part of the class that we have the hands on learning & that actually was a good thing because we could help each other. These ducks I'm pretty sure were Ancona/Cayuga mix because of the way the drake's head was colored. It just took them a really long time it seemed like to bleed out. The chickens we did bled out normally.

Here is something I found on a site that tells about the bird circulatory system: The avian cardiovascular system is able to quickly respond to changes in levels of activity (e.g., resting vs. flying) via changes in heart rate, cardiac output, & blood flow (by vasocontriction and vasodilation of vessels). Maybe when they're stressed it causes vasoconstriction & therefore slows down the flow of blood & that could be our answer, just a theory on my part.

Last edited:
I wasn't indicating you guys did anything wrong if it sounded that way. I was just mentioning that as a fact about how the muscles tighten up and the feathers tighten after a little while. Just food for thought. Since you weren't plucking it didn't apply in this case any way. I had noticed that when butchering that if I could pluck them like right away it was a whole lot easier.
I think it's great you did the class. Sure wish I had someone to come here and help me butcher about a dozen ducks. For some reason they are just a lot harder for me to kill than a chicken. I guess it's cause they don't ever cause a problem or fight with each other.
I've noticed the businesses are sure trying to get a jump on black Friday shoppers. So far I haven't seen a thing I think I'd need or want to buy. Now that it is getting nearer to the holidays I am starting to dread all the work involved with them. I look forward to them all year but then hate the prep.
I need to get out and get busy. The wind has shifted to the north. Poo!

These are 2 of the month old cochin chicks. Can someone help me with sex?

Hmm, hmm, hmm, I would cull this boy. Sorry, he is just a homely fella. Shape is all wrong, he doesn't even look cochin to me, maybe a mix? I do LOVE the photo bomb pullet though!!! That is typical of these birds.
And some other views of the youngsters for better analysis.

Blue mottled roo--white legs-- with the nosey little black mottled pullet

Blue mottled pullet--yellow legs--I like the type on this girl, I think she is probably your best example.

Black mottled pullet--yellow legs-- (she doesn't like to sit still) Pet quality, lacking overall type

Black mottled roo --yellow legs--This guy isn't terrible, he is kinda long and flat though....

Nosey little black mottled pullet--white legs--She is cute but very bunnytailed and doesn't look like the best type.

Now I know that yellow is standard, and am trying to keep it that way, but I also need shape and style which I can improve upon and do not expect these guys to be perfect. I have gotten a lot of great feedback so far and appreciate all the help. I know that I was asked for better pics and hope these are what you needed. These little juveniles are friendly and responsive the older group not so much. The 2 little chicks of course being inside and brooder raised are very friendly an like to snuggle. both little chicks have yellow legs I am just not sure on sex for those 2, they have another hatch mate which is white and all boy, he crowed the other day. Any help is totally appreciated.
big_smile.png
I wouldn't breed anything without yellow legs, if you do it may not present itself in the next generation but the genes are there.

Hawkeye-- love the barns those are something to be proud of !!

Frizzledpink-- thanks I was so afraid of that on those 2 babies but so hoping that the blue was a pullet
sad.png
I think I may keep the yellow legged juvies and the darker mottled hen

She has yellow legs ,,, is the leg color always mean that a different breed was introduced? The light blue mottled (bunny tail) has white/pink legs. I don't want to breed any with off colored legs unless it would breed out.
I wanted the right combo to make nice birds and the bonus would be if I could get a splash out of the deal,, but I would need a blue roo correct?

Hechicken-- sounds like you and hawkeye had a fun butchering class. I think it would be a good thing to do to learn new techniques.

Danz- sounds like pain in the butt with those hatching eggs. And chicks,, geesh they go nuts with new noisy stimuli, libel to smother themselves.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/basic-chicken-color-genetics This is a good page, you would need a blue roo over a blue hen to get a splash.

HEchicken/Trish-We butchered a few ancona drakes and they took FOREVER to bleed out, it was horrid. The first one it was like 7 minutes and it was awful. Second one we cut both sides of its neck and it went a little faster, we also covered their eyes with a piece of sock to keep them quiet (I do this with roos too, I think it helps keep them calm because they can't see, kind of like blinders on a horse)

On a random side note I am trying to reintro that wellie roo again and he won't stop trying to pick fights with my little black cochin roo so last night I put Lucie in the pen next to them to deter predators and left the run door open overnight. Well I went out first thing this morning to check on them and the wellie roo and two hens were still in the pen and no sign of any other chickens anywhere! I was about ready to beat myself up for feeding some night time predator all my hens when I came across the brahma roo and a small harem of girls in the barn under the tractor. Then I found the other two bantam roos hiding in the woods with the rest of the girls. I guess they all took their little girlfriends and hid from him!!!
lau.gif

We have our granddaughter here today for the first time since way before we went on vacation, so it's nice to have a day with her again. She just took Grandpa outside to get some fresh air for awhile, so I jumped on the computer to look for a birthday present for her. I finally got her to pin some things down she would like for her birthday & maybe Christmas too. I had to give her a catalog to look at because she for the first time in her life didn't have a big list for us to choose from. I sat there & listened while she looked through & mentioned things, so at least we have an idea now, we were pretty clueless. We only have a couple weeks to get something, so we were starting to get concerned if we have to order something.

It sure is a nice day outside today, I guess we had better enjoy it while we can since winter is coming before we know it. We took the two little dogs with us to pickup our granddaughter & went to the park & walked them around for a little bit, they love going for a walk. They're pretty happy little dogs now.

Oh HEChicken, we had the duck for lunch today & it was really good. We didn't tell our granddaughter what she was eating or she wouldn't have probably eaten it.

It sure hasn't been nice here. That wind has been insane. I found one of the rubbermaid bins clear out at the south side of the field. That's like 600 feet. The birds have stayed in for the most part too. They came out when I was feeding but otherwise the yard has been pretty bare.
I got the flower bulbs planted I wanted to get done. I really intended to get a couple flower beds completely dug up and redone this year but I was too busy with birds I guess. Gardening which was always my first love has taken a seat clear to the back of the bus since I got so involved in birds.
I have somehow misplaced several long planters. I was going to move some bulbs that can't handle cold weather out of their normal container and into some long window box type planters so I could bring them inside. Maybe they blew away as well!
I'm just totally worn out from battling that wind.

It sure hasn't been nice here. That wind has been insane. I found one of the rubbermaid bins clear out at the south side of the field. That's like 600 feet. The birds have stayed in for the most part too. They came out when I was feeding but otherwise the yard has been pretty bare.
I got the flower bulbs planted I wanted to get done. I really intended to get a couple flower beds completely dug up and redone this year but I was too busy with birds I guess. Gardening which was always my first love has taken a seat clear to the back of the bus since I got so involved in birds.
I have somehow misplaced several long planters. I was going to move some bulbs that can't handle cold weather out of their normal container and into some long window box type planters so I could bring them inside. Maybe they blew away as well!
I'm just totally worn out from battling that wind.
I hear what you are saying about the wind. I got the garden winterized today, and it was a challenge even though the wind wasn't as brisk as it is now. The chickens are pretty much staying in the areas in the run where they are sheltered from the wind to some degree. I still need to replace their straw shelters in the runs, but I haven't gotten the straw yet.

My life is complicated with a pair of 10 month old big puppies that I'm fostering unofficially. They are apparently some sort of English Pointer cross. They were described as heelers, but they don't look much like heelers. They have put on about 10 lbs in the week I've had them (the red one now weighs in at about 50 lbs and his brother at 43 lbs), and they are still pretty thin. They were on the verge of starvation when I brought them home. They have had their shots now, and seem to be eager to please. They aren't chicken aggressive, but they are very interested. My Welsumer lost some tailfeathers the first day because I lost control of the red one for just an instant. I iintroduced them to the dog door yesterday, and they are enjoying being able to come and go as they please. Hopefully that will finish the house breaking. Keeping them away from the chickens and doing some basic training (they were almost housebroken but otherwise had NO MANNERS AT ALL.) Fortunately they are not cat aggressive or for that matter, aggressive in any way. Very sweet boys that are driving me nuts.

They are very attached to each other. I don't know how long I'll have them, and DH is making noises about keeping one of them (probably the less alpha since he won't transition to a different place as well as his brother).

Glad that is going okay. I think the red one is beautiful. It'd be a shame to separate them though. They are probably so happy to have a warm bed and food to eat they want to make you happy too.

Finally have a chance to sit down and type! The butchering class went really well except what Hechicken and Trish said, the ducks too a long time to bleed out. I couldn't look at the duck at the end because I saw it was still blinking! But when I did my rooster, it did go quite well so it was a relief. I cooked soup with the chicken I butchered and it tasted great! Had enough leftover for lunch too.

I spent all afternoon cleaning the coop, getting all the waterers cleaned, added a bag of shavings because DH went to work and took the rake with him so my plan to rake the leaves into the coop didnt work. Oh well, I can always rake them in there tomorrow or some time next week.

The last batch of chicks are now in the barn storage room. I took the heater away, hopefully they will keep each other warm enough. The oldest ones are just about fully feathered and the youngest ones are just a week behind so I think they will do ok in there. I just hope when it is time to get them incorporated into the main coop that they will be ok since it will be very cold.

Sharol, look at those dogs! They make themselves at home already. It will be sad if they get separated into different homes since they are so used to having each other.

I agree with Danz that the wind was just crazy! The temp was ok until around 4ish and then the north wind just sent in the chills. Hopefully everyone has gotten things situated for the winter. The temp is just going downhill all next week!

Glad that is going okay. I think the red one is beautiful. It'd be a shame to separate them though. They are probably so happy to have a warm bed and food to eat they want to make you happy too.
Mark Twain said, “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.”

I think there is truth in that.

The rescue people say there is almost no chance they can stay together, and frankly it might be better for the black and white dog (Blue) if he was away from his brother. Red sometimes carries the dominance thing a little far, and he is a little stifled. At first I thought he wasn't as smart, but I think it is just that he is totally submissive. He plays well with our Doxy (who is an alpha) without the overshadowing dominance. They are actually engaging in some activities separately from each other after only a week, so there is a chance that they just need the opportunity to survive separately.

I don't know what would be best for them. The Red dog will be able to move on if they are separated, but I'm not sure Blue will. If we were to keep him, at least there would be some continuity for him. We will just have to see how it shakes out.

Back
Top Bottom