Consolidated Kansas

So I re-homed some roosters today (there is a guy in Wichita that loves roosters and will take anyones) but anyways, they where a trio of 2 roosters and a hen. The poor girl tonight does not know what to do...they would not roost on the bar but sleep on the floor and she is just going around making noises I have never. If a chicken cries, I bet this is what it would sound like. I picked her up and put her on the roost, hopefully she will stay.

I ended up with 5 new ones (way more than I thought I would) 3 are banthm cochins, and until I got home, did not realize how tiny they are compared to my current chickens, almost 2/3 their size. and then 2 silkie/d'uccle crosses, they are about the same size. I think I will have to seperate them for a while, I feel bad now..

If anyone wants the contact name for the guy in Wichita that takes roosters let me know. We toured his place today and its actually a pretty nice setup! He has roosters and babies all together, its pretty cool (except for the women hating goose)

Maidenwolf I wish I could help. The top one looks roostery to me but I can't be sure. I have no experience with bantam cochins to speak of.
So today I ask myself why I take a shower then go out to work with the birds. I am covered in dust and heaven knows what else. I got busy on the brooder house and once I started scooping out littler I could smell some mold smell. So I continued to shovel it out and that was a major job. I had been trying to do DLM since it is colder out so there were tons of shavings etc to shovel out. I found some damp spots in the corners and under the raised brooders. So once I got it shoveled I vacuumed what I could. Then mixed up oxine and water to disinfect the floor. I just kind of poured in on and then used the broom to swish it around. Then vacuumed that up. All of this was going on with the chicks all still in there.
So today was one of those days I kept thinking how stupid chickens could be. While I was vacuuming up the water the chicks all decided to huddle into one corner. I tried to shoo them to the other side that I already had done but nope, they decided to stay in the corner. Well I started digging through the pile of chicks and just felt sick. Dumb little things were suffocating each other. I had a 2 month old light brahma from import lines dead, a buff orpington, and a barred rock. I had a couple more I thought were dead but they started moving after I pulled them out. They might die as well cause they could be brain damaged. Even after I was all done I think I heard a chick sneezing. I couldn't figure out which one it was. I just culled a chick a couple days ago for wheezing. I'm not about to let my chicks get sick even if it means culling a few.
Then I got the garlic planted that my friend gave me. I now have two long rows of garlic. I should have garlic running out my ears next year. I didn't have time to get the flower bulbs planted I intended to though.
I fed and watered all the birds. Then it was getting late. I had a load of feed to get shoveled off into barrels. I got that done just in time to shut the birds up for the night.
So Trish and HEChicken how did the butchering class go?

Okay-- finally uploaded my barn pictures! The horse stalls are done, and the barns are mostly done. The door company is coming out on Monday to install all the doors. We have yet to trench the electric. We'll wait until Spring to trench the water lines.. I think we have our hands full for now. We don't want to risk a freeze, and we're going to have to uncover lateral lines in the back to trench the water lines and it's going to be a big deal and take a lot of time. Sigh. I wish we could do it now, but I can wait. My DH and I will be doing the chicken pens ourself. The chicken pens will be on the opposite side of the horse stalls.

Awww, sorry about the sour crop! Mine had the squishy crop and undigested food. But mine had been sick for too long and were too far gone. :( There are covered "sheds" off each side of the horse barn-- one side is for the horses and the other is for the chickens. So the pens will be inside, but they will have pop doors in the barn and they can go outside into the covered runs out there. You are right about the ABA bands-- I had to go look again. It's been a while since I've needed bands and I'm still not out of bands yet either. I use zip ties anyway until they get old enough to band. I just zip tie all in one color from my breeding pairs so I can keep track of what their chicks look like.

The covered 'shed' facing us is the side the horse stalls are on. The other side of the barn-- there is another covered 'shed' there-- and the bird's indoor/outdoor pens will go in/out on that side of the barn. So each pen will be an indoor coop and outdoor covered pen. I'm making them fairly small runs, because I'm just sticking with pairs or trios for breeding the silkies. I'll make a big one for grow-outs and another big one for the barred rocks. I had a skunk get into my temporary set up a few weeks ago and kill two of my Polish girls, so I don't have many "layers" left that I just use for eggs and are nothing more than pretties. I only have 2 wyandottes, 1 hatchery barred rock and 2 polish left of my original hatchery layers. I still have all of my Frank Reese barred rocks, though-- they are just gorgeous and will have their own separate pen. Right now all the LF birds are thrown together in my back yard! Same with the silkies-- they are all thrown together too. I've been hatching shipped eggs and blue/splash silkies.

I need to get a picture of my Frank Reese boys-- one still has no tail-- but it's because they are in tight quarters now and the girls pick him. The other one is more dominant and his tail is really coming in.
Wow you lucky girl, I would die to have a building like that! You'll have to post some pics when your chicken pens are all done, that sounds really nice. I'm sorry about your Polish hens, darned critters, I just hate those things along with possums especially & raccoons. I used to like raccoons until I got chickens & saw what they do to them. We have all of those critters here but now the GPs keep them out. I would love to see your Reese birds, I only have the cockerel left & one pullet from the eggs I hatched. A lot of those chicks drowned in that flash flood we had here. I just got two little Reese pullets from HEChicken though so I have enough to hatch some chicks in the spring. I already have people wanting them. I actually may need another one or two yet to get enough chicks. HEChicken, save me a couple more pullets if you have some more to spare.

Maidenwolf I wish I could help. The top one looks roostery to me but I can't be sure. I have no experience with bantam cochins to speak of.
So today I ask myself why I take a shower then go out to work with the birds. I am covered in dust and heaven knows what else. I got busy on the brooder house and once I started scooping out littler I could smell some mold smell. So I continued to shovel it out and that was a major job. I had been trying to do DLM since it is colder out so there were tons of shavings etc to shovel out. I found some damp spots in the corners and under the raised brooders. So once I got it shoveled I vacuumed what I could. Then mixed up oxine and water to disinfect the floor. I just kind of poured in on and then used the broom to swish it around. Then vacuumed that up. All of this was going on with the chicks all still in there.
So today was one of those days I kept thinking how stupid chickens could be. While I was vacuuming up the water the chicks all decided to huddle into one corner. I tried to shoo them to the other side that I already had done but nope, they decided to stay in the corner. Well I started digging through the pile of chicks and just felt sick. Dumb little things were suffocating each other. I had a 2 month old light brahma from import lines dead, a buff orpington, and a barred rock. I had a couple more I thought were dead but they started moving after I pulled them out. They might die as well cause they could be brain damaged. Even after I was all done I think I heard a chick sneezing. I couldn't figure out which one it was. I just culled a chick a couple days ago for wheezing. I'm not about to let my chicks get sick even if it means culling a few.
Then I got the garlic planted that my friend gave me. I now have two long rows of garlic. I should have garlic running out my ears next year. I didn't have time to get the flower bulbs planted I intended to though.
I fed and watered all the birds. Then it was getting late. I had a load of feed to get shoveled off into barrels. I got that done just in time to shut the birds up for the night.
So Trish and HEChicken how did the butchering class go?
Josie is the one with the Cochin knowledge, maybe she will pop on here & answer your questions for you. I don't have any bantams of any kind myself so I'm really not the one to answer either. I'm sorry about your chicks Danz, you have to wonder about how birds think sometimes.

Actually I can only speak for myself, I'm sure HEChicken can give you her take on it, but from my point of view I thought the class went very well today. There weren't many there, but we actually did very well getting through the birds. I know I learned a lot today about the killing part & skinning is so much faster & less messy than plucking. We processed 3 ducks, those were the ones Danz that you told me weren't pure bred Anconas so I just went ahead & processed them all so they wouldn't mix with the Anconas from you. Then tweety2005 had a rooster we processed & we did one of my hens also. Then after everyone else had left my DH & I finished up doing the other 3 hens I had left in the pen & after we had gotten in the groove of it those 3 just went super fast. HEChicken, it did go much better not letting the birds set, we did those last 3 one right after the other & they didn't get stiff. They were so much easier to skin when they hadn't set too long. Maybe that will be something we take into consideration in the spring when we do another class is to get one ready & then go get another one & while we're waiting on the one to bleed out someone can be working on skinning the one that's ready. So all in all I'm happy, I have one duck in the slow cooker that I put in there right after we finished & it's cooking away in there & I have two more in the freezer now along with 4 hens.

After all of that got done, I had to finish up the last bird so my DH could leave & go eat some lunch before he went on to work. I thought he did really well today with it all, he even did the killing on one bird & he had said he didn't know if he could do that. I had to hurry & get things picked up & cleaned up because I had to make a trip to Ark City to meet someone & then go to Orschelyn's & get chick feed & goat feed, I was out of both. Then I had to get back here & hurry & feed because it was getting late. I was in the middle of that when a friend came by to pick up her eggs she had asked for, then got all the birds & animals fed right as it was getting dark. Oh speaking of animals we didn't have to worry about having to clean up the innards today, we had 20 cats sitting there grabbing everything we threw in the bucket & if they didn't get it the chickens did & they fought over it too. The kittens kept getting in the bucket we had the feathers & skins in & it was kind of funny because there would be a kitten down in there among the feathers & you could hardly tell it from the feathers. They had a blast cleaning up all the goodies today. I'm just pooped out now after all of that today, it was a busy day, but I learned a lot & we have some more meat in the freezer, so it was productive. Oh HEChicken I'm trying your method of cooking in the slow cooker, I didn't add any liquid & I was surprised to look in there awhile ago & there was a bunch of liquid in the bottom. I just never would have thought of it having so much of it's own liquid like that, especially the way they looked so dry after we got them all cleaned. I feel much more confident now that if I need to process a bird that I can go out there & do it, even by myself.

Well I told you yesterday that I had 5 little Cream Legbars hatch from my shipped eggs & they're all doing great today & now I have another one that just hatched & it's drying out now. So out of 10 eggs I got 6 chicks, that's not too bad for shipped eggs, especially when I didn't think any were going to hatch. These were from South Carolina. My next ones due the 23rd are lavender Orpingtons, I can't wait for those to hatch. When I candled them they were really active in there, so I hope they all make it.

These are 2 of the month old cochin chicks. Can someone help me with sex?
And some other views of the youngsters for better analysis.

Blue mottled roo--white legs-- with the nosey little black mottled pullet

Blue mottled pullet--yellow legs--

Black mottled pullet--yellow legs-- (she doesn't like to sit still)

Black mottled roo --yellow legs--

Nosey little black mottled pullet--white legs--

Now I know that yellow is standard, and am trying to keep it that way, but I also need shape and style which I can improve upon and do not expect these guys to be perfect. I have gotten a lot of great feedback so far and appreciate all the help. I know that I was asked for better pics and hope these are what you needed. These little juveniles are friendly and responsive the older group not so much. The 2 little chicks of course being inside and brooder raised are very friendly an like to snuggle. both little chicks have yellow legs I am just not sure on sex for those 2, they have another hatch mate which is white and all boy, he crowed the other day. Any help is totally appreciated.
big_smile.png
the little ones have awfully big combs for 1 mo olds, sorry but i am leaning towards boys. My boys always seen to be the most lovey and interactive at that age too,

White legs hmmm--maybe some bantam orp in there? Danz you are better at the orps do you see any characteristics?

Maidenwolf, I am a long way from being an expert on either bantams or cochins but I have to say, I agree with Frizzled that these are both cockerels. The top one I was leaning that way because of the redness of the comb for the age, and the bottom one, there is something about his stance that is kind of boyish looking.

The butchering class went well! I was pleased with how it went except for the way those ancona mixes bled out. I have never seen anything like that before. I've had some where I didn't cut deep enough and it was just dripping out, and here more recently I've had them always just gush like the rooster and hen did, but I've never had them running steadily but sooooo slowly. I think since it was a steady stream and not just a drip, the artery had to have been cut but wow - they really bled out slowly. We did the drake first and I thought it was just him but then we did a duck and she was just as slow and then the last duck was cut by Trish and she bled slowly as well. All three of them took a lot longer to pass than I am accustomed to and that was kind of disconcerting. I would be interested to see if a pure Ancona has the same quality or if that was because they were mixes. We discussed several reasons why they might have been that way - maybe they have narrower arteries, or clot faster than other birds. At one point I did pull a quarter-sized clot from the cut and after that the flow started up again, so I lean towards that being part of the problem. I've never had that happen doing my muscovies though - they bleed out just like a chicken or turkey - so it seems like it is something specific to this breed or mix.

Danz, I'm sorry to hear about the poor packaging on the Araucana eggs. If I were you, I would give that feedback to the seller, if they are shipping eggs out regularly, it would be good to know that they are packaging in such a way as to minimize the chances of them being any good.

Maidenwolf, I am a long way from being an expert on either bantams or cochins but I have to say, I agree with Frizzled that these are both cockerels. The top one I was leaning that way because of the redness of the comb for the age, and the bottom one, there is something about his stance that is kind of boyish looking.

The butchering class went well! I was pleased with how it went except for the way those ancona mixes bled out. I have never seen anything like that before. I've had some where I didn't cut deep enough and it was just dripping out, and here more recently I've had them always just gush like the rooster and hen did, but I've never had them running steadily but sooooo slowly. I think since it was a steady stream and not just a drip, the artery had to have been cut but wow - they really bled out slowly. We did the drake first and I thought it was just him but then we did a duck and she was just as slow and then the last duck was cut by Trish and she bled slowly as well. All three of them took a lot longer to pass than I am accustomed to and that was kind of disconcerting. I would be interested to see if a pure Ancona has the same quality or if that was because they were mixes. We discussed several reasons why they might have been that way - maybe they have narrower arteries, or clot faster than other birds. At one point I did pull a quarter-sized clot from the cut and after that the flow started up again, so I lean towards that being part of the problem. I've never had that happen doing my muscovies though - they bleed out just like a chicken or turkey - so it seems like it is something specific to this breed or mix.

Danz, I'm sorry to hear about the poor packaging on the Araucana eggs. If I were you, I would give that feedback to the seller, if they are shipping eggs out regularly, it would be good to know that they are packaging in such a way as to minimize the chances of them being any good.

I agree, that was kind of disconcerting about how long it took for those ducks to bleed out & having them blinking their eyes when their throat was cut was kind of gruesome. The other hens we did after you all left went pretty well until I got to the very last hen. She really was a fighter, she was the Lakenvelder hen & they're very flighty anyway. She fought clear up to the end & I thought it took her a little longer to actually pass too. She did bleed out fairly fast, but she just had a lot of fight in her.

It's too bad that there isn't more instruction available for people shipping hatching eggs because you just see so many things when you get them that you really can't believe they did. I have gotten them packed all sorts of ways & the best luck I've had is from someone on BYC who wraps them in bubble wrap, but it's not tightly wrapped & taped shut & then they're double boxed with packing around the inside box as well. That's how I shipped the eggs that I shipped for a trade I was making & I didn't hear that they got broken. I didn't hear how many hatched though. I know they do have foam egg shippers, but Danz you said you haven't had good experiences with those either? The biggest problem is how the postal service handles them. My local post office here was rather shocked when I told them in my complaint letter about how much the eggs they ruined had cost me. I think it was an eye opener for them & I think it would be for most post offices.

Hawkeye-- love the barns those are something to be proud of !!

Frizzledpink-- thanks I was so afraid of that on those 2 babies but so hoping that the blue was a pullet
sad.png
I think I may keep the yellow legged juvies and the darker mottled hen

She has yellow legs ,,, is the leg color always mean that a different breed was introduced? The light blue mottled (bunny tail) has white/pink legs. I don't want to breed any with off colored legs unless it would breed out.
I wanted the right combo to make nice birds and the bonus would be if I could get a splash out of the deal,, but I would need a blue roo correct?

Hechicken-- sounds like you and hawkeye had a fun butchering class. I think it would be a good thing to do to learn new techniques.

Danz- sounds like pain in the butt with those hatching eggs. And chicks,, geesh they go nuts with new noisy stimuli, libel to smother themselves.

the little ones have awfully big combs for 1 mo olds, sorry but i am leaning towards boys. My boys always seen to be the most lovey and interactive at that age too,

White legs hmmm--maybe some bantam orp in there? Danz you are better at the orps do you see any characteristics?
My guess is that they could be mixed with bantam brahmas. The orps would cause their legs to be very sparsely feathered.

I keep thinking about how to say it gracefully. I paid the price he had started auctions of 6 eggs for on ebay, and got 18 eggs. I actually found him on BYC though. Very very nice guy. If I had only gotten 6 I would have blasted him right away. I know he really meant well. I have suggested different packaging to other sellers but some of them get really defensive about it. I think I probably got a better deal because of my involvement in trying to save some endangered heritage breeds. After all that is the only reason I decided I wanted them.
Quote:
I agree, that was kind of disconcerting about how long it took for those ducks to bleed out & having them blinking their eyes when their throat was cut was kind of gruesome. The other hens we did after you all left went pretty well until I got to the very last hen. She really was a fighter, she was the Lakenvelder hen & they're very flighty anyway. She fought clear up to the end & I thought it took her a little longer to actually pass too. She did bleed out fairly fast, but she just had a lot of fight in her.

It's too bad that there isn't more instruction available for people shipping hatching eggs because you just see so many things when you get them that you really can't believe they did. I have gotten them packed all sorts of ways & the best luck I've had is from someone on BYC who wraps them in bubble wrap, but it's not tightly wrapped & taped shut & then they're double boxed with packing around the inside box as well. That's how I shipped the eggs that I shipped for a trade I was making & I didn't hear that they got broken. I didn't hear how many hatched though. I know they do have foam egg shippers, but Danz you said you haven't had good experiences with those either? The biggest problem is how the postal service handles them. My local post office here was rather shocked when I told them in my complaint letter about how much the eggs they ruined had cost me. I think it was an eye opener for them & I think it would be for most post offices.
Glad the class went well. My ducks bleed out pretty fast but I have never butchered an ancona. If I get a few butchered soon they will be Ancona mixed and I'll let you know how they went.
I would like to make a comment about something you mentioned. Any time I have butchered I try to do one bird at a time unless I have a helper. My reason for that is that when plucking the feathers release really easily if you can start plucking quickly. The second is that the muscles don't tense up so the meat actually is a lot more tender. I believe that is the science behind letting the birds cure before you cook them. It allows the muscle fibers to break down so the meat isn't tough. I imagine cooking them in a slow cooker breaks them down more than regular roasting as well. Just thought I'd mention that.
The wind was blowing from the South, then a couple hours ago it switched to the North. Not good. I wish I had gotten those darned flower bulbs planted yesterday. The temperature has actually dropped a couple degrees already.

Danz, I don't disagree about the rest time / cooking. I used to roast most of my birds but did it often enough I actually got tired of roast bird. The initial meal was great but then we'd have leftover bird to deal with, and it never seemed as good in the following days because we ate the "best" meat at that initial meal. By cooking it down in the crockpot, I am able to take all the meat off the bones at the same time, and divide it into freezer bags that each contain meat from the breast, thighs, and everywhere else. At this point it is really only good in casseroles, but I prefer casserole type meals as I like to have leftovers to have for lunch the next day so 90% of the meals I cook are one-pot or casserole type meals anyway. And by dividing the meat this way, I am able to get 3-4 meals out of every bird, instead of just one main meal and some leftovers that are hard to use. So for me it works out to do it this way but for people who prefer a roast, or want fried chicken, I agree it is probably better to let it rest for awhile first.

Oh, and I meant to say, I usually just do one bird at a time and do most of it in my kitchen. I was a little nervous about doing multiple birds and doing them outside, since weather is such a factor that way but it wound up being really fun doing it at Trish's place. The area we were was very protected from the wind so it wasn't even a factor, and though we were on a table that is lower than my kitchen counter, we worked fast enough that my back didn't get tired of bending, and it was fun working with other people. Chatting non-stop the whole time, the time went really fast and we were done before I knew it. Normally at home I set my phone to play an audiobook while I work but the time went faster chatting with live people than listening to an audiobook
smile.png

It looks like a nice day again and no wind today. So far the temperature here has continued to climb. I need to get out and get some things done before it does turn cold. I need to finish making the hay wall for the sheep. Last week I formed the east wall but I still need to create a west wall of hay for them. Between that and the north side being the back of the horse shelter, it should be pretty cozy when I'm done. They will have a 3-sided shelter that is set far back under the 12' roof of the horse shelter so it should be nicely protected from the wind back there, based on the discussion about open air chicken shelters this week.

I can't actually finish it yet though because three of our lambs have a very important date this week. Tomorrow they will be loaded and taken to the processor, and we plan to use this area to corral them, in order to catch and load, and I don't want to make it too small yet. So I will prepare the pallets today, tomorrow we will load the 3 lambs and once they are gone, it should be a pretty fast job to create the west wall for the remaining animals. The goats seem to really like it back there already - the sheep don't seem to care yet about the weather.

Back
Top Bottom