Consolidated Kansas

My Buff Orp is definitely a roo and the neighbors are getting pissed... He'll be off to a new home this weekend probably :(

I had to come in to cool off. I felt like I was going to pass out in that heat. I still have more pens to feed and water. I got up early and went to meet a man from Auburn who was bringing me a BBR Malay rooster. I am so excited to have him. There was a bird auction there this morning but it was so hot and humid I was so happy I didn't bring birds. There really wasn't that much there either. I didn't take the time to look at the birds cause the whole first row was roosters.
Anyway, I've been looking every where for a rooster cause I only have girls. The prices I was getting quoted were well over $100 each. As high as $250. Too rich for my budget. My girls are still young but they weren't going to benefit me if I had no way to breed them.
So this guy said he had 7 of them that free range. And these boys tend to fight other roosters. He is looking kind of rough. I got him settled in a big cage and got him wormed and treated for mites etc. I'm going to let him get some of his feathers back and looking better before I introduce him to the ladies.

Yep the top show quality range from 25-32 inches. This boy is a year old and he's not that large but his daddy is a rare 35 inches tall. I'm not sure at what age they meet maximum height. The breeder said he had produced some 30 and 32 inch boys from this rooster but nothing as big as the original. I just really like their strange looks.
Speaking of which, I have black Shamos too and I have to say they have the most gorgeous black feathers. They aren't quite as upright as the Shamos but they are still cool looking.
Well I am so tickled, and surprised for that matter! Proud to announce on July 1st Enya had her first calf. It's a little bull calf but with the Highlands sometimes the boys bring more than the girls. He has long legs but I picked him up and I'm sure he doesn't weigh over 30 pounds. I was all braced to pick up a huge load and he was super light. Still trying to decide what to name him. This picture was taken shortly after his birth.
0701181659a[1].jpg

Well, I found a home for my latest roo so I'm down to 3 hens. Anyone have a hen they would part with? I can't just buy 1 chick from TSC (not that I would want to) and I don't have room for 4 or 5 more.

Back
Top Bottom