Consolidated Kansas

I've dropped several almost ready to hatch eggs and broken them before but not a tray full before this one. Let me tell you the money looks a lot better in my account than it does in the form of broken eggs on the floor. The older I get the clumsier I get.

Hello all, I haven't been on in a while. I need some advice about a hen. 3 year old Rhode Island Red. Started laying again this winter when the days started getting longer. About a month ago she layed a small egg with no yolk and has not laid any since. She now has a very "poopy" bottom and does not seem her usual self. She is usually the boss and very active in scratching. She's hanging out more inside. It even seems like her companion hen is upset about it! What should I check for or do or try? She has always been very healthy. Thanks.

Check to see if she is egg bound. You should be able to feel the egg inside of her. But be gentle. If you find nothing look at her bottom and see if there is any yellowish discharge coming out not just normal poop. If she had an egg break inside her or a shelless egg that broke she will have egg peritonitis. The only treatment for it that will save her is Baytril. You would need to get it from a vet. But if she seems to be normal and running a normal temperature, she may just be tired and done with her laying for the most part. If you see no unusual discharge I'd give her probiotics as a beginning to get her going.And make sure she gets some outside time.

I am in love with my Sebastopol goslings I got from @chicken danz! They are so cuddly. Their names are Clyde and Daisy. The black east indie’s name is Blackie. The kids named her go figure. The geese are teaching her to eat grass.:lau

Oh my. My R.I.Red "Blinky" is in worse shape than I thought. A couple of days ago it just seems that she was a little lethargic and had a poopy bottom. I went to examine her better today and she has almost no breast muscle. It is really foul smelling stuff (dark brown) coming from her vent. I gave her a dropperful of nutridrench and fed her some "gruel" that worked well with a previous sick chicken. I am debating sitting her in an epsom salt bath. There's a strong cold wind here in Lawrence today, so I'd have to keep her inside and unfortunately I no longer have the indoor sick chicken set up that I had. Scrambling to set something up. Of a bit of concern is that I am taking immune suppressing meds and, though I doubt there would be anything I could catch, it makes me a little wary. Thoughts?

Yikes. I went ahead and got an isolation coop set up in garage. Got epsom bath. Oh my gracious... what I found was that she has an open wound a bit larger than a quarter on her belly side next to her vent. There were a zillion maggots (hence the smell, of course). I soaked her then cleaned the open wound with betadine. she's in a small enclosure with a heat lamp, but she is very weak. I don't want her to suffer and I feel very bad that I did not catch this! She has never had any problem in her three years of life! I'm giving her electrolytes in her water and I'll give her more nutridrench orally. But, if it comes to it, are there any chicken folks here in Lawrence that might be able to help me put her down as I don't think I can do it myself? I'm going to Orscheln to see if there is anything to put on the wound. I have a picture, but I think it's too graphic to post.

Update on Blinky. She made it through the night and seems more alert this morning. Pecking at the mash I gave her. Yesterday the wound was just brown, no fresh tissue. This morning there is fresh tissue visible in the center (her guts?) but the circumference of the opening is dark brown (necrotised tissue, I think) and it all smells really bad. She has not pooped. Perhaps this is because she hasn't eaten but maybe her intestine is also damaged or inflamed so she can't? Going to the vet is not possible. Is there an antibiotic I can give her myself that I can get at Orscheln or Tractor supply? Or should I just euthanize her. I'm not into animals suffering unnecessarily just because we hate to see them go.

I am in love with my Sebastopol goslings I got from @chicken danz! They are so cuddly. Their names are Clyde and Daisy. The black east indie’s name is Blackie. The kids named her go figure. The geese are teaching her to eat grass.:lau
I'm so glad you like them. They are adorable little creatures for sure. I wish I could keep them all myself. I'd love to have like a couple hundred of them. LOL
Update on Blinky. She made it through the night and seems more alert this morning. Pecking at the mash I gave her. Yesterday the wound was just brown, no fresh tissue. This morning there is fresh tissue visible in the center (her guts?) but the circumference of the opening is dark brown (necrotised tissue, I think) and it all smells really bad. She has not pooped. Perhaps this is because she hasn't eaten but maybe her intestine is also damaged or inflamed so she can't? Going to the vet is not possible. Is there an antibiotic I can give her myself that I can get at Orscheln or Tractor supply? Or should I just euthanize her. I'm not into animals suffering unnecessarily just because we hate to see them go.
Okay. I have saved a couple of birds with fly bot. But I just lost one as well. The thing you absolutely have to do is flush out that would every day and be sure to look and dig deep to make sure she has no more maggots in her. The flies lay and sometimes there are more that hatch later. I put oregano oil in and around the wound. #1 it seems to kill the maggots and it has antibiotic tendensies that will help her heal. She also needs an antibiotic. The only thing you can buy and give her that might work is tylan50 injectable. Give her a shot of 1cc Or 1ml in the breast muscle. Switch sides you give the shot each day. She will need at least 5 days of shots. Be sure to use the oregano oil every day and the cleanse. If the damage has gone too deep it's too late to save her. But if she seems to improve keep at it.
i would euthanize her for you if I were close but my theory is if they have the will to live and are showing any improvement at all it's worth a try. You can also put a couple of drops of oregano oil in her water. They like it and it only helps.

Back
Top Bottom