Consolidated Kansas

Hi KS Chicken folks! Ive been on here for a while, but we moved from in town Wichita to a 3 acre rental property in Alma. The human house was a disaster, the grounds had weeds taller than my 6' son, and TONS of poke weed and thistles, and the barn is still a disaster. We've been burried in LOTS of hard and not at all fun labor. The previous few renters must have been the sort that didn't much care about things, especially if they belonged to someone else. With that whine out of the way, we have 4 beautiful Bovans Browns that we got as chicks and who started laying in December. We get 3-4 eggs daily. We named them Amy, Jo, Meg, and Beth. I'm planning for more chickens this spring. Definitely more layers as well as some meat birds and turkeys. I am moving away from most social media, but looking for a place to talk chicken (and maybe some turkey). Is anyone else in the vicinity of Alma?

Merry Christmas Everyone! Hope you're having a great day.
Hello! I was wondering if your birds were laying and if you were selling any right now? I've got the go ahead to find some new birds for my birthday and am interested in your Ameraucanas, Millie Fleur Bantams, and Marans.

Hello! I wondered if your birds were laying right now and if you are selling any Mottled
English Orpingtons, La Bresse, Sultans, or Cayugas. I've been given the go ahead to find some new birds for my upcoming birthday. :celebrate
I've got some birds laying. As well as some that are laying but not fertile right now. They tend to loose their fertility for awhile in winter. The only thing that is currently developing in the incubator from your list are some Sultans. I'm setting orpington eggs but to date they haven't been fertile. I Have to make special arrangements to hatch the La Bresse because I am using them in my egg laying flock. Another month or so I could separate them and try to hatch some. The Cayugas are laying but they aren't fertile right now either. I usually do test hatches with whatever is laying. I do have a couple of young midget white turkeys and a couple more eggs in the incubator. My chicks however are straight run cause I can't sex them at hatch.
I used to live in Council Grove and was much closer to you then. Now I'm closer to an hour and a half from you. Still in rural Kansas that's not bad.
Welcome to the forum

I've got some birds laying. As well as some that are laying but not fertile right now. They tend to loose their fertility for awhile in winter. The only thing that is currently developing in the incubator from your list are some Sultans. I'm setting orpington eggs but to date they haven't been fertile. I Have to make special arrangements to hatch the La Bresse because I am using them in my egg laying flock. Another month or so I could separate them and try to hatch some. The Cayugas are laying but they aren't fertile right now either. I usually do test hatches with whatever is laying. I do have a couple of young midget white turkeys and a couple more eggs in the incubator. My chicks however are straight run cause I can't sex them at hatch.
I used to live in Council Grove and was much closer to you then. Now I'm closer to an hour and a half from you. Still in rural Kansas that's not bad.
Welcome to the forum
Yes, CG is definitely closer! We just moved here in July after 18 months in Wichita. Prior to Wichita we were in Topeka for 14 years. I was D.O.N.E. with city life! Thank you so much for the information. I'm not in a hurry, so I am happy to wait and check in to see where things stand at a later date. I'm ready to add to my little flock of 4 this spring. My youngest son is wanting to raise and possibly show Sultans, and so far all we've found are hatchery birds. We have an order in with McMurry because I figured it would at least be a learning option for him to get a standard and see what if anything from the hatchery was close. He has some "homework" to do first in learning about his breed of choice and building a coop run for them to be separated. He also has to reconcile culling if he wants to raise them for show/breeding, so I figure closer to summer before he is ready for those. I did find your website - would you prefer I check in through that contact form or is it okay here?

No just feel free to message me here if you want. I don't have the sultans on my page. I need to take some pictures but they are so dirty right now. Lots of mud here. I ordered my original sultans from a hatchery and they were a huge disappointment. I was using them for a breeding project so being show quality wasn't important. But I finally bought some good stock and did some selective breeding. It was so worth it. Such an improvement over the others. Once in a while I have one who's top knot doesn't develop perfectly. But you can't tell that as chicks. You have to let them mature some first. Also they need to have a silver base which makes them a much whiter white. The chicks are hatched with a gray color but then turn white when they get their feathers. I'll try to get some pictures when it dries out. Mine are bantam Sultans and just as cute as they can be.

No just feel free to message me here if you want. I don't have the sultans on my page. I need to take some pictures but they are so dirty right now. Lots of mud here. I ordered my original sultans from a hatchery and they were a huge disappointment. I was using them for a breeding project so being show quality wasn't important. But I finally bought some good stock and did some selective breeding. It was so worth it. Such an improvement over the others. Once in a while I have one who's top knot doesn't develop perfectly. But you can't tell that as chicks. You have to let them mature some first. Also they need to have a silver base which makes them a much whiter white. The chicks are hatched with a gray color but then turn white when they get their feathers. I'll try to get some pictures when it dries out. Mine are bantam Sultans and just as cute as they can be.

I do have a question for you. My oldest son is wanting to raise Crevecoeurs. I saw on your site that you used to have them. Any suggestions for where he might find non-hatchery Creves?

Mine came from Greenfire Farms. Very pricy though. And they are euaropean not American which means they are not all black and also have the wrong colored ears for American standards. Your best bet is to go to a major poultry show and see if you can find any on Sale row. There is also a Creveceour conservatory site on Facebook and you might find some breeders there. At one time I made contact with a lady who raised them and she was bringing chicks to the sale for the cost of about $15 each. There are a couple of hatcheries that still sell creveceours but they aren't good quality. They are a very rare bird and difficult to find. I'll send you a personal message with the gals name I sold my breeders to. She was using them for eggs to eat but she may be able to hatch you some. Creveceouers are very good winter layers.

Back
Top Bottom