Consolidated Kansas

I have a question for some of you more experienced duck owners. The last 2 to 3 years I have had a wild Mallard living with my flock and breeding with my females, so a lot of his offspring have matured this year. In the last few weeks seven of my male ducks disappeared all together. There was no sign of a struggle no feathers no blood could it be possible that they all just flew away to find a better pond? Thanks for any ideas.

I have a question for some of you more experienced duck owners. The last 2 to 3 years I have had a wild Mallard living with my flock and breeding with my females, so a lot of his offspring have matured this year. In the last few weeks seven of my male ducks disappeared all together. There was no sign of a struggle no feathers no blood could it be possible that they all just flew away to find a better pond? Thanks for any ideas.
Maybe a pond that wasn’t frozen over...

They may have flown off to find mates. That's the thing about Mallards is they fly. Other breeds of ducks don't fly that much.

If they are crossed with a wild flying mallard, yes they certainly could have. I have seen several groups of Mallards lately. I'm sure it's about breeding season.

They may return with hens, when the weather warms.. Please let us know, if they do.
You bet I will. I was shocked when the wild mallard started hanging out with my flock. He just walked right up to me with everyone else when I went down there with some corn. And he absolutely outbred the other males

Hi KS Chicken folks! Ive been on here for a while, but we moved from in town Wichita to a 3 acre rental property in Alma. The human house was a disaster, the grounds had weeds taller than my 6' son, and TONS of poke weed and thistles, and the barn is still a disaster. We've been burried in LOTS of hard and not at all fun labor. The previous few renters must have been the sort that didn't much care about things, especially if they belonged to someone else. With that whine out of the way, we have 4 beautiful Bovans Browns that we got as chicks and who started laying in December. We get 3-4 eggs daily. We named them Amy, Jo, Meg, and Beth. I'm planning for more chickens this spring. Definitely more layers as well as some meat birds and turkeys. I am moving away from most social media, but looking for a place to talk chicken (and maybe some turkey). Is anyone else in the vicinity of Alma?
I live north of St. Marys so only one county away. I have Ancona ducks, several varieties of geese, and a barnyard mix of chickens. If you need a rooster and don't care if it's not a Bovan Brown i have a spare. I also have ducks and geese in the incubator that should hatch in about 18 days.

black copper chicks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom