Consolidated Kansas

Years ago there was a sitcom about a French girl who had come to the US, and she was questioning plurals, "If more than one mouse is mice, why is not house, hice?" I don't even remember what the show was, but I remember that line because it actually makes sense.
The other day I asked DS to clean out our mud room. Later he told his sister he had been "brooming" (i.e. sweeping with a broom). It made me wonder why we do that in this weird language of ours that makes no sense. I mean, why do we sweep with a broom instead of brooming with a broom or sweeping with a sweep?

Kids seem to have the heads up on us when it comes to language. It tends to happen even before they learn to spell. I remember my oldest daughter called two or more pieces of clothing- clothes, but if it was just one item she called it a cloe. Why are pants call pants instead of pant?
My youngest granddaughter calls felines Catties rather than cats or kitties.
My sister was going to go butcher some chickens. She asked my niece who was then about 3 if she wanted to go out with her while she dressed the chickens. My niece replied, "Mommy, where do the chickens keep their clothes?"
Ivyrash if the eggs you got weren't shipped I would guess one of several factors could be involved. Either the eggs were old, the shells weren't in good condition, or the hens weren't in good condition for laying. I tend to just toss porous looking shells rather than try to hatch them. I've purchased eggs from people whom are major well known show breeders whose egg shell quality was total trash. The results were extremely poor hatches and/or the chicks dying within a few days after hatching.
Right now in my own birds I am getting some shells that are less than stellar. They are too thin and weak. I don't know if it is the heat or what causing that.
Any general questions about Swedish I can answer for you?
Speaking of Swedish I was gathering eggs for the incubator and found one of my Swedish hens very sick. She had been fine yesterday. I brought her in and gave her a shot of tylan and put her in a cage. Gosh I hope I don't end up with birds getting sick. I rinsed her nose and eyes and gave her some food and water and an hour later she seems to be doing much much better.
Msjfrizzle, I just saw you were on line. Where on earth have you been??? I'll bet it has been a year since I saw you post here.

Last edited:
Lizzy how are you feeling? I would be pretty nervous about a rattlesnake too! That's a whole different thing than chasing around a black snake or bull snake.
I am feeling pretty good for the most part. I just wish I could stop being surprised by slithery creatures that rattle. We've seen quite a few this past week after having gone quite a while without seeing any. If I only had to worry about bull snakes and blue runner snakes, I think I'd be okay. The rattlesnakes are a completely different story. The good news is that my ear has stopped ringing. :)

Lets see if i can do this right, for a bit now Roosterlew has been asking me what breed of chickens i like and want. I have finally found them.the Dorking...they say they are good layer and very good bird. So here is to hoping we can find some.

TOO FUNNY not to share, and a good response to the question if chickens are my world LOL

1003855_10151776002822448_247406987_n.jpg

BABSAROO , I fell in love with all the pictures of Dorkings when I started getting in to this chicken thing but haven't heard of any around here . Maybe you guys could start breeding them ;)
LIZZY , I don't know how you do it out there with all those snakes ! I don't think I could go outside without hip waders on if I lived out there.
Side note; polish and Polish always seamed strange just by capitalizing one letter you get something way different, weird ....

22qZoo. The minute i seen them i did to. They are a beautiful. But as u have said i have not found any breeder around here either. I think we do need to become breeders to for the Dorking.. hint hint. Baby...lol

LIZZY , I don't know how you do it out there with all those snakes ! I don't think I could go outside without hip waders on if I lived out there.
Ha ha! We had a neighbor that just recently moved away that would do something similar. He kept the grass in his yard SUPER short and wouldn't go out to work in the yard without snake chaps (or whatever those things were called) on. I thought I was terrified of snakes, but he was definitely worse. :)

While I can't say I enjoy the snakes or the drought, I do love it out here. I really like our house, and the valley we live in is beautiful. The neighbors are fantastic, and it is so quiet and peaceful out here. I do take precautions for the snakes, though, especially now that I'm pregnant. Unlike danz, I ALWAYS wear cowboy boots when I go outside, UNLESS I"m going to church in which case I only walk on the sidewalks where I can clearly see what is around my feet. When I outside, I don't walk anywhere where the grass is more than 6" tall, I walk around the yuccas and other places snakes might hide, I avoid stepping in holes if at all possible, I never leave the yard on foot without being armed with SOMETHING (hoe, shovel, gun, SOMETHING), I always wear long jeans (never shorts, even in the heat), we have mowed along the path we usually follow in the pasture, etc. Seeing a snake is usually a good way to startle me, but I am slowly getting accustomed to always seeing bull snakes. The rattlesnakes still "rattle" me to the core (pun intended) when I see them, though we've seen considerably fewer this year than last. Our property is bordered by a large pasture to the south. They have recently put cattle in that pasture, and I really wonder if the cattle have been scaring the rattlesnakes out of that pasture and into ours. There's a sand pit in the pasture to our south, and that is why we have so many snakes around here.

Back
Top Bottom