Consolidated Kansas

Coppers babies are coming up on a week old. Two have obvious starts at wing feathers, the third doesn't. How much truth is there in the idea that wing feathers develop earlier in pullets?

These are Marans/BO/EE crosses, and I can't tell yet about the type of comb that is coming.

Yeah I know what you mean sharol, I get way more cockerels when I hatch than I would like. I was telling Danz one day that it would be great if we could figure out how to only hatch pullets since that's mostly what people want. If we could do that we would have it made.

Hi everyone! Seriously long time no type on my part! Life has kept me busy. It seems like the older my kiddos get the busier my wife and I get. All is well with us and the kids are really enjoying school these days. In other news, it is time to start weeding out my non-layers in my flock. Specifically, one of my hens has really gotten violent with the other hens so she is at the top of the chicken noodle soup list. That said I am going to need to replace those non-layer/chicken noodle soup birds. However, this time I want to add some color to my egg basket and am looking for Marans. Does anyone have any Marans chicks for sale? Let me know.

I don't know that I'd want all pullets, but maybe a 80/20% split would be awesome. I could sell trios then and or pairs and then keep a few spare pullets for future breedings. I guess the way it is, I manage to keep my acquaintances supplied with cheap butcher chickens. I really loose money doing that but I can't just kill a good bird because it is male.
I'm not feeling as well as I was yesterday. My jaw is really hurting. I may have to get a refill on the antibiotics or get something else. I really am tired of feeling awful. I am so far behind in my work.
We got quite a bit of rain last night and it still looks really gloomy out. Sure doesn't help my mood any.

Danz - get feeling well soon!
hugs.gif
Feeling yucky really stinks! You know - you could share some of that wet stuff with us! We are currently getting snow, but it has been snowing all morning and has barely been enough to settle the dust. We really could use quite a bit more. If we don't get a decent amount of precip this spring/summer, we are really going to be hurting for grass in the pasture this summer. There isn't much left out there after having the horses grazing on it all winter and having a couple really dry years in a row.

My birds have been out free ranging today, and I just saw all four ducks running around a lot faster than normal. Upon closer inspection, I saw that one of them had found a worm and was running away, trying frantically to keep her prize from the others.
lau.gif
They are so funny to watch when they waddle that fast!!!
gig.gif

Danz - get feeling well soon!
hugs.gif
Feeling yucky really stinks! You know - you could share some of that wet stuff with us! We are currently getting snow, but it has been snowing all morning and has barely been enough to settle the dust. We really could use quite a bit more. If we don't get a decent amount of precip this spring/summer, we are really going to be hurting for grass in the pasture this summer. There isn't much left out there after having the horses grazing on it all winter and having a couple really dry years in a row.

My birds have been out free ranging today, and I just saw all four ducks running around a lot faster than normal. Upon closer inspection, I saw that one of them had found a worm and was running away, trying frantically to keep her prize from the others.
lau.gif
They are so funny to watch when they waddle that fast!!!
gig.gif
LIzzy we are way behind in precip again ourselves. I guess the problem is that when we have gotten moisture it has been snow which is very little moisture or the wind has driven the rain so hard we really didn't get as much as it seemed. I thought it had rained quite a bit but it's not very muddy out there. I did hear however that 30 miles east of here they got 6 inches of rain. At least the knot weed is starting to green up a little so there is something besides bare dirt out there.

I found a duck sitting on a nest and two chickens sitting on duck nests today. I hadn't been gathering duck eggs. I should have because I always have buyers for them. Now I can't use any of those eggs cause I don't know how old they are. I did have a huge thrill today. I have three broody geese right now that don't even want me to gather their eggs. But I also found my buff sabastopol sitting on eggs. I've always thought it was a female but finally confirmed it. I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. She is absolutely gorgeous. If I managed to hatch a half dozen just like her I would be tickled pink. I still have a few more I need to confirm sex on. It's kind of hard when they look so much alike and all the leg bands are the same color..just numbered different.
Jennyjane is that a gold laced polish? Kind of hard to tell with the red light. How old?

Back
Top Bottom