Consolidated Kansas

Tomorrow is supposed to be 60's here. I am excited about the temps but need to wash off back deck, we have folks coming for a funeral and deck is covered in pea poop from them peering in begging for cat food!

Also still need to take down Xmas tree, etc. I was in hospital with burst appendix over Xmas so house is mess and we just found out this morn people are staying night!!! House is disaster. :oops:

Help..... Haha

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my funny little bantam cochin turken mix, Eggberta. She's the sweetest thing just funny looking.
B]

Tara, what type of eggs are you setting? It's always fun to hatch. I had some very late hatch of 6 pea babies that we had to have in the house half the winter! Talk about stink and dust. I love them but gosh, still stink even after cleaning! At least chickens are not as horridly smelly.
th.gif

Sorry to hear your life got turned upside down, hopefully things will smooth out.

Grizzled pink is right, you have to be careful. Make sure they are alcohol free, pure etc. They do have their uses though and I am an advocate for sure. And some should never be used internally. I have been using them since about 2005, but not on my chickens/peas until 2009.

They are mix breed. Buff Brahma roo over various breeds. The come out so colorful, and the mix breeds sell fast here. I can raise them up for a few weeks and get a good price from them when everyone gets Spring chick fever! I set them this morning so I should have fluffy butts mid Feb!

My feline Luna has done very well this weekend. She is well hydrated with the fluids and the appetite stimulant is doing wonders. She is moving around the house and eating well. Every little blessing.

I gave my new Ameraucana roo three EE hens last night. The hens are furious at their new circumstances and the Ameraucana pullet that came with the roo is a meanie. Hopefully my three EE's can accept him quickly and put the bully in her place.

I used to raise mixed chicks but I didn't get enough out of them to pay for the electricity to run the incubator, let alone feed them. Then everyone wanted only pullets. That is why I got into pure bred birds worth more money. I may not sell as many but when I do it is worth my while....sometimes.
It's been a very miserable day here today with the cold and a very strong north wind. I've not been feeling well either so today was the day to clean floors. I still need to go out and feed and water in the brooder yet.
My DH decided to go to Topeka to get some stuff, so I gave him a list of the four plumbing parts I need to get my water in. Or at least I hope that is all I need. Maybe if we get warm days this week I can finally get running water to the building. That would give me the boost I need to feel good. I do need to wire in an outlet for my water heater before I get it all hooked up. That should be a no brainer. I thought I had already gotten it wired in, but the box is there and it isn't hooked up. Someday maybe I'll get to the point I can start hatching out there.

Will do @Prairie Fleur , and thank you.

@chicken danz I'm still working on my pure breeds. I make a better profit when I hatch 20+ on the mix breeds. I tell customers that want all pullets that they are better off waiting and paying a bit more for older birds. I enjoy my mixes, but can't wait untill I can hatch my real money makers LOL!

Well Tara Bella I hatch year round and often 50- 200 birds a week during peak times. When you hatch like that you end up with gobs of cockerels to pour feed into. I only get $5 each out of butcher birds so I keep an ongoing steady market and it certainly doesn't start to pay for their feed. But it's a way to move them so that is what I do.
It was sure easier when I had mixed birds. Just one big pen to put them in at night and a brooder house. But I like my fancy birds. I still use the mixed birds for layers. They free range full time.

Here's a pic of my funny little bantam cochin turken mix, Eggberta. She's the sweetest thing just funny looking. [B]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6715047/width/200/height/400[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=#0000FF]Your photo didn't load, make sure you use the little photo icon top right bar, first one on the left in that box. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000FF]thundrdancr, I know exactly what you mean about the messy house. I just haven't been up to cleaning much since I hurt my knee. Not that I'm a super housekeeper anyway, I would much rather do things outside than be in the house cleaning, but it has gotten worse lately. I can't be on my leg too long before it starts swelling & hurting so cleaning is taking a backseat right now. My front porch is a real mess too since the hoses are put up for winter & I can't hose it off. My chickens have been hanging out on the porch a lot this winter. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000FF]tarabellabirds, I'm glad your cat is better. Ameraucanas are just more bossy birds, at least the ones I have had have been. I put a pair of BCMs in with my older Lavender hen after the others left so I could produce some Olive Eggers & she just dominated over those two for several days. I think they finally are getting the pecking order figured out & are getting bigger as well but she sure gave them heck for awhile. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000FF]At least we aren't getting what New York & NJ are getting right now, thank goodness. I know winter isn't over yet & we may have more coming but I hope it's not like that. I read that it may be a storm for the history books, ugh. [/COLOR]

I collected a lot of eggs today. I can actually get eggs to my biggest customer tomorrow. I checked some I had set and still have some that aren't fertile. I think I may have to switch out a couple of roosters that just aren't producing. I have two together and they seem to keep each other from breeding. Dumb birds. I need both roosters to keep a color pattern going and I don't have room to make another pen and divide them.
I tried taking out a nest box that we built inside the hen house to discover that it's too big to get through the door. I finally gave up and will have to take to recipro saw to it tomorrow. Sure hope it is warm out again.

Back
Top Bottom