Consolidated Kansas

First egg from Princess my black shoulder hen!!!

Yaaaaay!

If any of you are interested in becoming a foster parent and you're in the Wichita area, let me know. I train foster parents and am a foster parent myself.
jennyjane73, what foster program do you foster/train through? My husband and I took foster classes last summer through St. Francis. We need to finish up our paperwork and have the home visit for licensure still. We took the classes as somewhat of an "insurance" for a family member we were caring for informally. We figured if the state intervened with his situation, we would be ready to foster him if need be. The good news is that he is back with his mom and has done well this school year. We are not sure we are ready for a full-time placement right now, as we have four kids of our own, and moved here just a year ago. We do feel like it is important for us to continue the licensure process so we can be ready if/when we are needed or find a placement that might be a fit for our family and the prospective foster child. My two sisters 'n law are also foster parents, and our only niece was adopted by our sister 'n law out of foster care when her family personally asked my sister 'n law to consider being the adoptive parent. What a wonderful addition she has been to our extended family.

Last edited:
Green duck eggs -- that's really cool! That's really weird about the chicks hatching early. I had that happen in my Sportsman once and I couldn't figure out what the heck! With those moving parts, he risk of them getting caught is really unnerving.

I love ducks but they are the messiest things. I guess the geese won't be any tidier. Ha!

Oh, guys, the chick I've been babying is doing great. I brought in another chick to keep it company and it has progressed to the point it could go back out with the others. I've enjoyed having the two in here so I'm not in a rush to take them back out!
big_smile.png
I think it just got chilled. Somehow it wandered out of the hover brooder and didn't go back in. Silly baby.
The cayugas lay green duck eggs. One of my Asian customers only wants to buy the green eggs cause he says they are creamier. He makes salt eggs from them.

Yaaaaay!
Congrats. The peafowl laying has been really slow this year here. My whites have laid well but my others haven't done much. The India blues havent' laid at all. And I've only gotten 3 eggs from the purple. I have a black shoulder female that should lay this year but she should be with a more mature male. He is in a pen that is really too small to add another female. I need more pens and shelters for them.
I took some pain meds yesterday and it amazed me how much more I was able to get done. I was at the desperate point. I don't like taking medications. I guess I didn't realize how much pain actually limits my ability to work.
I got one water line put in the building. Nothing hooked to it yet, but it was some progress. I have so many things to work out with it that I am having to take it one step at a time.

Yaaaaay!

Congrats on the pea egg!

I got one water line put in the building. Nothing hooked to it yet, but it was some progress. I have so many things to work out with it that I am having to take it one step at a time.
Yay progress! Sometimes you just have to give up & take something for pain. I know when my knee really is hurting I don't do well & just want to get things done as fast as possible so I can go in & ice it. I don't like to take pain meds either but I have when I need them.

I'm with The Salvation Army. I became a foster parent a year ago and have a 12 year old boy. We are planning to adopt him when available. He loves having chickens!
jennyjane73, what foster program do you foster/train through?  My husband and I took foster classes last summer through St. Francis.  We need to finish up our paperwork and have the home visit for licensure still.  We took the classes as somewhat of an "insurance" for a family member we were caring for informally.  We figured if the state intervened with his situation, we would be ready to foster him if need be.  The good news is that he is back with his mom and has done well this school year.  We are not sure we are ready for a full-time placement right now, as we have four kids of our own, and moved here just a year ago. We do feel like it is important for us to continue the licensure process so we can be ready if/when we are needed or find a placement that might be a fit for our family and the prospective foster child.  My two sisters 'n law are also foster parents, and our only niece was adopted by our sister 'n law out of foster care when her family personally asked my sister 'n law to consider being the adoptive parent.  What a wonderful addition she has been to our extended family.      

I have the broody crew. I have eight hens..Three are Polish and the rest are assorted bantams. Had one go broody a month ago and let her hatch some eggs. Now, I have a bantam that is broody and a POLISH that is broody! She's like Jurassic chicken. I didn't think my Polish would be going broody. I'm just hoping that none of the others catch the fever.

Today is another "first" milestone in chicken-keeping for us. We're removing the barrier between the 2-week-old chicks and the 5-week-old chicks. This will be our first time integrating two "flocks" (if you will) of different ages. They've been able to see each other across the barrier for 2 weeks. We've even had one or two babies accidentally get over into the big kid side and vice versa. No harm was caused during those accidentally rendezvous. It seems that the big kids didn't mind the little ones, and the little ones didn't mind the big ones. We'll see if they feel the same way after the divider is taken away.
fl.gif

This is what the brooder looks like with the safety divider in place.

I'm with The Salvation Army. I became a foster parent a year ago and have a 12 year old boy. We are planning to adopt him when available. He loves having chickens!
jennyjane, that's awesome that you are planning to adopt him. I'm sure he's excited about that, too! I'm glad he loves the chickens, too. I didn't even know The Salvation Army was a foster organization, too. We just chose St. Francis, because that's the organization my sisters 'n law use. One of our sons is 12, and our oldest daughter is 14. My second cousin who we kept last spring/summer is 13. He was a perfect fit with our family, and it helped that we already knew him and he knew us.
big_smile.png
Our other two children are 10 and 8. We all miss him, but he still comes to visit some weekends and will be having a week-long stay after he attends church camp with the two oldest this summer. The fact that he and his mom know we are here for them makes everyone feel better and more loved, I think.

Gypsy
Today is another "first" milestone in chicken-keeping for us.  We're removing the barrier between the 2-week-old chicks and the 5-week-old chicks.  This will be our first time integrating two "flocks" (if you will) of different ages.  They've been able to see each other across the barrier for 2 weeks.  We've even had one or two babies accidentally get over into the big kid side and vice versa.  No harm was caused during those accidentally rendezvous.  It seems that the big kids didn't mind the little ones, and the little ones didn't mind the big ones.  We'll see if they feel the same way after the divider is taken away.  :fl  

I started by putting you 2 5 week old with my 1 week olds for a couple hours a day after 4 days when I went to separate at night they all got upset so left them together. They have been great ever since. Hope it went well for you.

It rained again here this morning & I hope it's done now for a few days. I see rain in the forecast again next week for days on end. I guess be careful what you ask for, but I would just rather we spread it out a little more. It sure makes doing things outside miserable.

I think Danz is having computer issues is why she has been absent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom