Consolidated Kansas

Anybody have black copper Maran eggs for incubating? I live in Marysville and would prefer to pick them up to avoid freezing. I am willing to travel up to 100 miles.

Lots of people have never heard of or seen Breda Fowl, so I thought I'd post some pictures of my 8 month olds.

This is Ernesto the Araucana, but I can't get him to hold still for pictures. He has all colors on his dark feathers -- green, purple, blue -- gorgeous coloring.

I thought Bert and Ernie fit them since they are inseparable.
Bert and Ernie...hahahahaha! That is fabulous! I love it Sharol! Ernie looks like he's doing a highstepping march.
gig.gif

Also your breda are pretty neat looking! I love how much I learn from all of you!

Anybody have black copper Maran eggs for incubating? I live in Marysville and would prefer to pick them up to avoid freezing. I am willing to travel up to 100 miles.

Sorry I don't. @KsKingBee had some but I don't know if he still does.
I just defrosted the freezers after freezing outside feeding the animals. I do HATE this weather. I still need to go out and water but I was hoping the temp would get above freezing. I guess I am just going have to go do it and get it over with.
We have a half beef ready to pick up so I'll have to get cold for the forth time today and put all that up. It sure is a lot harder to enjoy the birds in this weather.
I also have some new hatches in the incubator and need to get a bin set up for them.

We haven't separated our birds for the breeding season yet, so we probably won't have any pure eggs until around the middle or end of February. Wayne Crumpler down around Wichita has some nice birds and eggs available now. See his ad in Kansas Poultry Swap or Kansas Farm Animal on Fae Book. He has VERY dark eggs for $20 per dozen.

We haven't separated our birds for the breeding season yet, so we probably won't have any pure eggs until around the middle or end of February.  Wayne Crumpler down around Wichita has some nice birds and eggs available now.  See his ad in Kansas Poultry Swap or Kansas Farm Animal on Fae Book.  He has VERY dark eggs for $20 per dozen.

Thank you. I was not aware of Kansas Poultry Swap. I got on that.
I don't need the BCM eggs right away but I would like to find a source in the North East Kansas areas.

Hello all, have a questions about heating.
I just hate to use a heat lamp but it has been getting cold at night and I was just gifted 2 Plymouth Rock chicks along with my other silkies and polish. Hubby set up a low watt red heat lamp about 5 ft high over the roost. I have been wiping it down every night before I turn it on to keep the dust everything off. it is secure and will not fall down. Last night we got down to 18 and the low in the coop was 30 so I know its just barely keeping it from freezing. Do you think it is warm enough, do I not need it at all or do I need more heat. New chicks are about 2 1/2 months old the others are full size and laying.

Thank you. I was not aware of Kansas Poultry Swap. I got on that.
I don't need the BCM eggs right away but I would like to find a source in the North East Kansas areas.
I have a few hens. They aren't laying again yet but I'm up by chapman. There is a guy in Clyde with GFF/Bev Davis lines. I just picked up a few more chicks from him and they are coming along great and are very healthy.

Hello all, have a questions about heating.
I just hate to use a heat lamp but it has been getting cold at night and I was just gifted 2 Plymouth Rock chicks along with my other silkies and polish. Hubby set up a low watt red heat lamp about 5 ft high over the roost. I have been wiping it down every night before I turn it on to keep the dust everything off. it is secure and will not fall down. Last night we got down to 18 and the low in the coop was 30 so I know its just barely keeping it from freezing. Do you think it is warm enough, do I not need it at all or do I need more heat. New chicks are about 2 1/2 months old the others are full size and laying.
They should be fine. Rocks are pretty good sized and heavier feathered than the smaller birds (Campines, Araucanas). AT 10 weeks they should be fully feathered.

I use Sweeter Heaters to avoid the fire hazard. They are on a thermo-cube that turns on at 35 degrees and off when it gets back up to 45. It heats only the area right under it, so I put it over the roost about 18 inches. Then the hens who don't want the heat can go to the other roost, and those that are colder blooded can put themselves in the area of the heaters.

I know that they probably don't need it, but they are my pets and I want them comfortable.

Hello Ladies I have some questions for those who use water nipples. Every morning and evening when I check on my now 7wk chicks the bedding is wet under the nipples. I thought as the chicken got older and better at drinking this would stop. But it hasn't and Im afraid that it could harm my chicks. I of course scoop out the wet bedding and replace it with dry but I'm beginning to think we to go to either a different water method or place gutter drains half way under the nipples to catch the spill. But im not sure how we can do that in such a way that it would work and the chicken would still be able to drink. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom