Consolidated Kansas

We are near the Wichita area, and have been looking into feed mills around us for some cost savings in our feed. Is there anyone in the area who has a feed mill they would recommend? Thanks!

We are near the Wichita area, and have been looking into feed mills around us for some cost savings in our feed. Is there anyone in the area who has a feed mill they would recommend? Thanks!

I'd recommend contacting all of the local coops and see if they will custom mix feed for you. I have mine milled and have the grains cracked or crimped. I have a supplement added that provides additional, protein, vitamins etc. A good coop usually has an employee who has a good knowledge of how to mix to a certain protein level etc. The problem is that some coops have a minimum amount that they will mix for you. I believe @Trish44 was having some custom feed made. I'm not sure is she still is. She could probably give you an idea where you might go.

I'd recommend contacting all of the local coops and see if they will custom mix feed for you. I have mine milled and have the grains cracked or crimped. I have a supplement added that provides additional, protein, vitamins etc. A good coop usually has an employee who has a good knowledge of how to mix to a certain protein level etc. The problem is that some coops have a minimum amount that they will mix for you. I believe @Trish44
was having some custom feed made. I'm not sure is she still is. She could probably give you an idea where you might go.

I work for a veterinarian, and customers talk a lot about Iuka Feeds. They seem to have a great reputation.

@Ryanandjen1 I am still feeding fermented feed, so I just change the proportions with the seasons. I have more grain in the mix in the winter & then reduce it for summer. I don't get any special feed though, just what I get from the local COOP. Usually when you want the COOPs to make a special mix for you they require you to buy a ton at a time. I have no way of hauling that much so I have never done that & I have nowhere to keep that much feed either. My COOP makes their own layer pellets & the scratch mix has wheat in it, which a lot don't. We actually have the choice of two COOPs close to me, the one I go to is at Hackney inbetween Winfield & Arkansas City, Valley COOP. The one at Arkansas City is Two Rivers COOP. I don't know where around Wichita you are but there is a good COOP in Mulvane also, I used to go there when I lived in Derby. I would just call around & see what the different ones have to offer & check prices. I know by feeding fermented feed I save a lot on feed & don't have much waste at all. I just mix it up daily & keep some extra at the bottom of my container to start the next batch. It is a little more labor intensive but I feed 135+ or so chickens, 5 geese, 10 ducks, & 20 guineas plus 15 or so outside that free range with it. They all get the same feed & do fine with it.

Just got my chicks in the mail this morning. They are running around happily but then a few will stop and do this under the lamp. Too cool? They are indoors.

Hello all,
I noticed today for the second or third day that my Leghorn has her front wet and a bit stained (about an inch and a half strip) from wattles all down her breast. I didn't think anything of it until I saw it again today. I managed to pick her up and tried to see where it could have been coming from nasal openings or beak, nose was dry and didn't appear to have congestion or mucous or anything. Couldn't really tell about the beak. No smells or discharge. Her crop was full. I honestly am not sure how it was this morning. The only thing my beginner chicken keeper knowledge can come up with is a problem with her crop? Or perhaps it is nothing. Just sloppy drinking? but have never noticed it before. Her bottom is always a bit dirty and seemed the same. Egg laying not changed. Any ideas? should I be thinking of anything or checking anything in particular? I may try to photograph her if it's not pouring rain.
Thanks

Hello all,
I noticed today for the second or third day that my Leghorn has her front wet and a bit stained (about an inch and a half strip) from wattles all down her breast. I didn't think anything of it until I saw it again today. I managed to pick her up and tried to see where it could have been coming from nasal openings or beak, nose was dry and didn't appear to have congestion or mucous or anything. Couldn't really tell about the beak. No smells or discharge. Her crop was full. I honestly am not sure how it was this morning. The only thing my beginner chicken keeper knowledge can come up with is a problem with her crop? Or perhaps it is nothing. Just sloppy drinking? but have never noticed it before. Her bottom is always a bit dirty and seemed the same. Egg laying not changed. Any ideas? should I be thinking of anything or checking anything in particular? I may try to photograph her if it's not pouring rain.
Thanks

Honestly sounds normal to me. Check her crop later if you can to see if it's gone down any. If not give her a bit of veggie oil in the mouth.

I think I need to change the name, of my place. I call it Rocky Hill Farm, but since the hill is limestone, and lime dissolves; Floating Valley Farm may be more appropriate. Maybe I should change, from raising poultry, to raising fish. I do hope the ones that wanted rain did get some, because we are getting MORE than we need.

I think I need to change the name, of my place. I call it Rocky Hill Farm, but since the hill is limestone, and lime dissolves; Floating Valley Farm may be more appropriate. Maybe I should change, from raising poultry, to raising fish. I do hope the ones that wanted rain did get some, because we are getting MORE than we need.

LOL! I agree. I think I should name my place Danz Lake & Soggy Bird Bottom farm. I didn't want or need the rain or the cold!!!!

Back
Top Bottom